St Mary Parish range near Franklin?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy9994

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Jeanerette, LA
    Just moved to Jeanerette a few months ago and live very close to the St Mary Parish Sheriff range off Hiway 90 near Franklin. I did a search and it appears to be open to the public so I'm definitely interested in checking it out. Anybody have first hand experience at this range? Thanks.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Been a few months since I went last but it's usually open to the public Tues thru Sat. from 9am to 5pm or so. You have three firing lines available - rifle @ 150 yds, pistol @ 50yds, and shotgun ..... throwers and clays for a fee. Deputy always on duty when open. Great place to shoot. It's adjacent to a black bear habitat. I've seen two or three there since it opened. I just wish the rifle line was longer than 150 - doesn't matter to most others and those sighting in hunting rifles. Other than myself I have never seen anyone use the full 150. I get a chuckle out of watching m4gery's and like blowing away ammo all day at the 25 yard line but they seem to be having fun and enjoying themselves so I don't begrudge them.

flyboy9994

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Jeanerette, LA
    OK. Thanks LCPL 4

Sounds like it's definitely worth checking out. I built 3 AR-15's from the ground up and have yet to shoot any of them. I was finishing them up right around "Sandy Hook" time and gave up during the great ammo hoard that was going on. Then I moved from KY down to LA so everything pretty much stayed in the safe. Now I'm finally settled in and ammo is fairly easy to get, it's time to get things going again for sure. I guess 150 yards will get me sighted in etc. but will definitely be looking for something longer soon. M4gery's at 25 yards?? That's funny right there... Thanks again.

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    OK. Thanks LCPL 4

Sounds like it's definitely worth checking out. I built 3 AR-15's from the ground up and have yet to shoot any of them. I was finishing them up right around "Sandy Hook" time and gave up during the great ammo hoard that was going on. Then I moved from KY down to LA so everything pretty much stayed in the safe. Now I'm finally settled in and ammo is fairly easy to get, it's time to get things going again for sure. I guess 150 yards will get me sighted in etc. but will definitely be looking for something longer soon. M4gery's at 25 yards?? That's funny right there... Thanks again.

1) Don't get me wrong - I'm sure you are aware that there are ways to quickly get an approx. zero with an ar - iron sights or aimpoints at 25yrd+. It's the ones that stay at 25yds that make you sigh.

2) Once your locked on and looking for long range then I would suggest checking out the reduced 200yrd service rifle matches at Gonzales or try your hand at one of the competitions out to 600yds at Palo Alto towards Donaldsonville. There they have iron sight matches or optics depending on your tastes. It's been a couple of years since I've been to a Palo Alto match but they always ran a safe, professional one.

Gonzales - https://www.google.com/maps/place/9...1s0x8626b4fe58f511d1:0x65c2d58a80827966?hl=en

http://paloaltogunclub.com/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom