M1 Garand Stock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I bought an M1 Garand several years ago from CMP. I didn't care for the stock and bought a new one from CMP. The bad thing is that I can't get the trigger guard closed. I have practically stood on it. I read that you need to shave/sand it down near the trigger guard but I am afraid of screwing it up and making a nice piece of firewood. The gun has sat in pieces in my closet for at least 2 years. Anyone have experience with these stocks?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Do not start hacking away at that stock, you want the tight lockup with the triggerguard. There are detailed instructions on the M14 forum on fitting an m1 garand stock. Sadly, these things are not "one size fits all" and each one must be checked in several places. If you run into any trouble shoot me a pm, Im rebuilding a garand right now.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My 5-55 made Springer has a stock that is factory and is that tight. It must be pushed down on plenty.
    It was a CMP gun that was covered in Cosmo and is all #'s matching. Was told it was probably what came when new.
    It was from what i could tell just test fired. I would not start hacking away with that stock.
    I was also like you worried but the guys at the CMP board said leave it that way.
    Now some Boyd and Dupadge{sp?} stocks need fitting
    here is an old thread there as some will not work right. out the box
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=41117&highlight=garand+stock+fitting

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    You could look at the stock for marks in the wood from compression/contact and remove a little of the wood at the contact points, otherwise, I have a garand in a new stock from the CMP that is about the same. I assembled the rifle and placed the triggerguard against a wood fencepost and leaned and pushed until it locked. I figure that after a few years the wood will compress to the point that it will not be so ridiculously tight. Lightly grease all parts before doing so and let it be; you can clean the gun upside down to keep solvent and oils out of the stock. In all honesty, you do not really need to disassemble the gun for each cleaning and any oils ect. that get in the stock will tend to make the wood fibres slightly softer and allow compression. A tight stock in a Garand is not really a bad thing unless the barrel is excessively contacted. A tight fit will keep the receiver from flapping around and causing excessive strain on the stock.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Do not start hacking away at that stock, you want the tight lockup with the triggerguard. There are detailed instructions on the M14 forum on fitting an m1 garand stock. Sadly, these things are not "one size fits all" and each one must be checked in several places. If you run into any trouble shoot me a pm, Im rebuilding a garand right now.

Yeah I am scared of screwing up that stock. I just left the receiving in the stock for the last few years and never finished assembling it. Kinda gave up but it would be nice to have it assembled again.

Top Bottom