Trijicon 42mm Reflex

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    That's a sweet rail system, I have the Midwest industries ss 12" them new rails have come along way, supper lite and thin

When I get back from overseas, Ill put it on a scale. Your right, these new handguards that are coming out are very light. At first I felt the keymod stuff was just a new trend and would die off. But after I bought my first Fortis rail, Its gonna be hard to go back to anything else.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Two issues you will have. 4.5 Moa is huge. That's roughly 4.5" at 100 yards. Dual power illumination is a hassle. When shooting from dark to light the reticle washes out. Same issue when going light to dark.

I would say 90% of the ones we sell come back as a return.

Want to keep it light, go with an aimpoint micro.

http://www.sportoptics.com/aimpoint-micro.aspx

Last edited:

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Two issues you will have. 4.5 Moa is huge. That's roughly 4.5" at 100 yards. Dual power illumination is a hassle. When shooting from dark to light the reticle washes out. Same issue when going light to dark.

I would say 90% of the ones we sell come back as a return.

Want to keep it light, go with an aimpoint micro.

http://www.sportoptics.com/aimpoint-micro.aspx

Well I am set on a sight that needs no batteries. I agree that the aimpoint is very light. But I have a Vortex Sparc, that does the same thing and is approx the same weight, but 400$ cheaper. (If I went the battery route). I like the idea of having an optic thats pretty much maintenance free, always on, and works good in all scenarios. The railmaster on the front of my handguard is only for nighttime use with my PVS14. So it will seldom be used, but its there if I ever decide to take this rifle on a night hunt, instead of my 6.8

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Well I am set on a sight that needs no batteries. I agree that the aimpoint is very light. But I have a Vortex Sparc, that does the same thing and is approx the same weight, but 400$ cheaper. (If I went the battery route). I like the idea of having an optic thats pretty much maintenance free, always on, and works good in all scenarios. The railmaster on the front of my handguard is only for nighttime use with my PVS14. So it will seldom be used, but its there if I ever decide to take this rifle on a night hunt, instead of my 6.8

This is where the Trijicon Dual Illumination Reflex sight fails.

Comparing the SPARC to any Aimpoint product is a pretty far reach.

As one of the largest optics dealers in the nation I'm just giving feedback on what I see in the field at shoots as well as numbers taken from sales data.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

The Trijicon Reflex sight will not work well when you are in a dark environment aiming at something in bright light. It will also not work well while inside in the dark when you activate your weapon mounted light especially if the structure has light colored walls.

If you will never be using your rifle in those two situations, I guess you have made the best decision for yourself.

I'm speaking from experience with the Trijicon Reflex sights I had back in 2005 and I'm glad I no longer have them. I suggest an aimpoint or an eotech. If the battery issue bothers you that much, do like I do: carry spares. I'm sure you carry spares for your PVS14.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The older Trijicon Reflexes were terrible. No experience with the new ones, but if they work on the premise I don't see how they could solve the inherent problems.

If you want a maintenance free optic with no battery life concerns, Aimpoint Comp or T1 is the way to go. And even better that they will work well with your PVS.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I never experienced the different scenarios you guys describe such as shooting from different light conditions. Only red dots I have are Eotech, and Sparc. So maybe once I do experience my outlook may change. I never thought about night use with a weapon light either. So thats something else Ill have to test. My current weapon light isnt a death-ray such as a surefire. Its an Inforce which is only 150lumens. So I may be able to see or not. Another scenario Ill have to test. And no, I never intended to make the comparison of a AImpoint to a Sparc, I just wanted to mention that I can just put the sparc on my rifle instead of buying a 6-700$ red dot. (If I stayed with battery optics).

I really appreciate all the tips and advice. Seems there is no perfect solution to all red dots. Ill post pics of all the above mentioned scenarios when I get back from offshore.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have the smaller version of this optic and I honestly really like it. As some here have stated there is a tad bit of washout in the above mentioned scenarios but it honestly doesn't bother me. I think this is a FINE rugged combat optic overall and I honestly think you have made a good decision. The only "upgrade" I would have (and this is an easy fix) is to mount a tiny LED in front of the unit so this way you could still run a battery and switch to the unit and use electric power should you need it. Yes I know this sounds counter to the design, but it is an option should you want to take it that way. Also I run mine on an AK, but 4 MOA is plenty fine. I think even a smaller 2 MOA dot creates haze when turned up bright (at least to me with my contacts in).

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Well, here is an update on the sight. I ran it through the Warfighter Concepts course with 0 issues. Ive taken it with me shooting all over my property. Its seen rapid fire, very hot temps, its been rained on, Ive taken it hog hunting, and so far it has gained my full confidence. I love the fact that theres no buttons so no need to worry about turning it off. But more importantly there no need to turn it ON if you absolutely need it right now.

And a video

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Well, here is an update on the sight. I ran it through the Warfighter Concepts course with 0 issues. Ive taken it with me shooting all over my property. Its seen rapid fire, very hot temps, its been rained on, Ive taken it hog hunting, and so far it has gained my full confidence. I love the fact that theres no buttons so no need to worry about turning it off. But more importantly there no need to turn it ON if you absolutely need it right now.

And a video

Well there was one issue...we all made fun of you when you weren't around...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Good times. I'm not a fan of the reflex but if it works for you it works for you. The T1 has a 50k hour battery life. Leave it on change the batteries once a year.

Top Bottom