Gun law that excludes felons is upheld by Louisiana Supreme Court

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Gun law that excludes felons is upheld by Louisiana Supreme Court

By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on July 01, 2014 at 4:37 PM, updated July 01, 2014 at 8:03 PM

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/louisiana_supreme_court_uphold_4.html

The Louisiana Supreme Court on Tuesday unanimously upheld the constitutionality of the state's law barring convicted felons from possessing guns. The justices, who heard argument in May, issued the ruling in a pair of cases originating from district courts in Jefferson and St. Tammany parishes.

Both challenges to Revised Statute 14:95.1 are byproducts of a 2012 constitutional amendment that made gun ownership a fundamental right. The amendment, which Louisiana voters overwhelmingly approved, strengthened the state's gun rights and required that any limit to them must meet a "strict scrutiny" test, the highest level of judicial review.

"Some arrested or convicted of crimes involving firearms have attempted to show that the laws under which they were charged do not withstand strict scrutiny and are thus unconstitutional," Associate Justice Jefferson Hughes III of Denham Springs wrote for the court in the 17-page opinion. "In these consolidated cases we now reject those arguments."

"Our law proscribing the possession of firearms by convicted felons is not affected by the amendment and withstands a strict scrutiny analysis. Such laws are effective, time-tested and easily understandable and do not violate the Constitution. Common sense and the public safety allow no other result."

The court overturned a 2013 decision by Judge Robert Pitre of the 24th Judicial District Court in the case of Jamal Taylor, 27, of Avondale and Kelin Stevens, 31, of Houma. Under state law, Taylor is barred from having guns because of his five felony narcotics convictions, while Stevens may not have guns because of his convictions of second-degree battery and possession with intent to distribute marijuana, prosecutors said.

Pitre had ruled favorably for the two defendants, granting them their request to quash the firearm charges on constitutional grounds. Pitre has handed down similar rulings in other cases.

Taylor and Stevens are two of three men who await trial in a Jan. 6, 2012, drive-by shooting near Westwego. A stray bullet struck 11-year-old Keian Ester of Harvey in the eye, killing him. The murder and attempted murder charges against the defendants were not affected by Pitre's ruling on the gun offenses.

In St. Tammany's 22nd Judicial District, Judge William Knight upheld the felon-with-a-gun law last year when he refused to dismiss the charge that prosecutors filed against Christopher G. Eberhardt, 37, of Slidell. Eberhardt was booked with theft in 2012, and police alleged he had a gun even though he had been convicted in 2007 of unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.

The Supreme Court upheld Knight's decision. Eberhardt's attorneys, with the St. Tammany public defender's office, argued the law was unconstitutional.

The court already had handed down narrowly tailored rulings in upholding the illegal gun possession laws. In December, justices ruled the law did not violate the constitutional rights of people charged with gun possession while they're on probation or parole. That decision originated from New Orleans, in the case of Glen Draughter. In January, justices upheld a juvenile law on concealed weapons, in an East Baton Rouge Parish case.

In the latest decision, justices analyzed the Legislature's intent in pushing for the constitutional amendment, which was backed by the National Rifle Association and Gov. Bobby Jindal. State Sen. Neil Riser, R-Columbia, pushed the measure to reinforce the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment in Louisiana law, Hughes wrote.

In advocating for the amendment on the Senate floor in 2012, Riser said Louisiana had "roughly" 40 gun laws "and those laws will stay in effect" if the amendment would be enacted. As such, Hughes wrote, justices could concluded that "the Legislature did not intend to invalidate existing weapons laws."

Courts in other states with laws similar to Louisiana's have concluded that restrictions on felons are permissible. The U.S. Supreme Court also has upheld laws restricting gun possession by felons, by mentally ill people and in locations such as schools, Louisiana's justices said.

Under Louisiana law, people convicted of felony crimes are barred from having guns within 10 years of the time they complete their punishment, whether prison or parole. In the cases at hand, the Louisiana Supreme Court said the three defendants, all convicted felons, re-offended "within a relatively short period of time."

Stevens was arrested on a charge of possessing a firearm only three weeks after he finished his punishment for a marijuana conviction. Taylor was charged with the offense four years after he completed his federal sentence for cocaine possession. Eberhardt was charged with the offense two years after he completed his sentence.

Hughes wrote that all three "illustrate, rather than show exception to" the idea that certain convicted felons "have demonstrated a dangerous disregard for the law and present a potential threat of further or future criminal activity and are more likely than non-felons to engage in illegal and violent gun use," Hughes wrote.

"These cases demonstrate that felons are not only at risk to reoffend, but are at risk to reoffend using firearms," he wrote.

Taylor and Stevens are accused of using guns while committing a murder. "This is exactly the type of offense LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 was enacted to prevent," Hughes wrote.

Eberhardt's attorneys argued that the law is overly broad in terms of the number felonies that apply to it. Eberhardt's previous felony conviction was for unauthorized entry into an inhabited dwelling, a crime that doesn't necessarily include violence.

Justices disagreed. "The offense of unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling carries such a high potential for harm to innocent bystanders that its inclusion by the Legislature" in the firearm law "is clearly warranted," Hughes wrote.

"Furthermore, it is impossible for the Legislature to predict with complete certainty which offenders will reoffend with a firearm, and including those offenses that demonstrate a serious disregard for the safety of others with (the law's) felon-in-possession prohibition is appropriate given the compelling state interest in protecting the public," he wrote.

Gungrabishere14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Offgrid
    Below is the letter that I received last Saturday and after research is being sent out to all who receive a 10yr cleansing under 14.95.1 (c). I don't know about y'all but it basically make me and thousands like me felons if we own guns or ammo.
    "This letter is in response to your VAF UPIN issued in
    September 2010. That UPIN is listed above.
    The fingerprints you previously submitted with the
    original VAF request are identical with those in a record which
    contains prohibiting information. You have been matched with
    the following federal prohibitive information under Title 18,
    United States Code, Sections 921(a)(20) and 922(g)(1): A person
    who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by
    imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense
    classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a
    term of imprisonment of more than two years.
    The Appeal Services Team (AST) of the FBI Criminal
    Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division's NICS Section has
    obtained additional direction from Louisiana counsel of the
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
    Based on the information provided by ATF counsel, you are
    currently ineligible to purchase or possess a firearm, and your
    UPIN has been deactivated.
    An individual convicted of a felony in Louisiana is
    prohibited under state law from obtaining a Concealed Carry
    Permit per Louisiana Revised Statute 40:1379.3(C)(10). The
    United States Supreme Court has held that if a state imposes a
    partial restriction on an individual's ability to carry or possess one or more types of firearms by a convicted felon, even
    after basic civil rights have been restored, the individual
    remains convicted for the purposes of the Gun Control Act.
    Caron v. United States, 524 US 308 (1998). In accordance with
    this ruling, any person who has been convicted of any crime of
    violence or any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term of
    one year or greater is prohibited from possessing firearms in
    the state of Louisiana. This prohibition remains valid for
    cases sentenced under Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure
    Article 893, and which have received a set aside, dismissal,
    and/or expungement.
    The prohibiting information is located on your
    Louisiana State record. The prohibition is based on the
    following arrest and/or custody entries on the Louisiana State
    record: January 23, 1994, October 12, 1994, May 14, 1996,
    January 6, 1997, and January 24, 1997. These convictions are
    based on cases out of Lafayette Parish. To obtain a copy of
    your Louisiana State record, you may contact the following
    agency:
    Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
    Louisiana State Police
    Post Office Box 66614
    Number A-6
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896-6614
    You may wish to seek any available remedy(ies) for the
    prohibition previously listed. Further information may be
    available through the following agency:
    Louisiana Board of Pardons and Parole
    Post Office Box 94304
    Building Six
    504 Mayflower Street
    Baton Rouge, LA 70804
    The NICS Section is not permitted to give legal advice
    regarding ways to get your firearm rights back, but you may
    confer with an attorney of your own choosing to determine what
    remedies may potentially be available to you.
    NICS Section
    CJIS Division

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are several cases that are being appealed as a result of the new "Strict Scrutiny" application. This is a good victory for those of us that supported "Yes on 2".

It would be nice if they naysayers who opposed it for this very reason would put forth statements in the press that they were wrong; but I still have quite a few years of life left so I won't hold my breath.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So lets hear it. repeat offenders aka slow learners think its unconstitutional for the state to say that they've lost the right to possess a firearm? Furthermore, in their infinite wisdom they rallied behind two murderers that are declaring that the law preventing them from getting a firearm is unconstitutional.

Good Job NICS?

I mean, whats the point of the thread if not for a standing ovation behind background checks?

and trust me- I hate gun laws, I just hate felons more.

infringed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Louisiana
    There are several cases that are being appealed as a result of the new "Strict Scrutiny" application. This is a good victory for those of us that supported "Yes on 2".

It would be nice if they naysayers who opposed it for this very reason would put forth statements in the press that they were wrong; but I still have quite a few years of life left so I won't hold my breath.

As it stands, LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 misleads individuals since Federal law supersedes it. An individual subject to LSA-R.S. 14:95.1, who may obtain a weapon after 10 years, is still subject to Federal conviction. While LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 may be constitutional, it also creates a mouse-trap.

Gungrabishere14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Offgrid
    Well what the Fed have done is make thousands of LA residents who have had their rights restored under 14.95.1 (c) which means they haven't got in trouble in 10yrs and until Jan of this year was able to legally purchase firearms felons overnight. Now self righteous rabbit who hates felons so much is probably committed a felony or 2 just wasn't caught but this doesn't make the feds actions right or legal. I hold a FL CCL as well and my charges were for Marijuana when I was in college. I didn't hurt anyone and the state still interprets the law as it was written. What we have is the Fed interpreting state law for state crimes and that is the problem here. us vs dupaquire 1996 5th circuit upheld 14.95.1 (c) and could not charger him as felon with a firearm because it had been over 10yrs since his sentence was completed and if you look a Caron vs us 1998 it is a stretch to make the argument that it applies to the new law they are citing especially when a LA ccw is privilege and not a right.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well what the Fed have done is make thousands of LA residents who have had their rights restored under 14.95.1 (c) which means they haven't got in trouble in 10yrs and until Jan of this year was able to legally purchase firearms felons overnight. Now self righteous rabbit who hates felons so much is probably committed a felony or 2 just wasn't caught but this doesn't make the feds actions right or legal. I hold a FL CCL as well and my charges were for Marijuana when I was in college. I didn't hurt anyone and the state still interprets the law as it was written. What we have is the Fed interpreting state law for state crimes and that is the problem here. us vs dupaquire 1996 5th circuit upheld 14.95.1 (c) and could not charger him as felon with a firearm because it had been over 10yrs since his sentence was completed and if you look a Caron vs us 1998 it is a stretch to make the argument that it applies to the new law they are citing especially when a LA ccw is privilege and not a right.

fact stands: you were convicted of either a felony, or multiple misdemeanors to reach the requirements of this law. In florida first offenders are generally diverted to a PTI diversion program, and even if not a single minor possession is only punishable by 1 year.

Either way, I still fail to see the problem with the law as you argue it. (there ARE problems. just not at this angle) Show me an example of someone that was convicted of a single non-violent misdemeanor, that has served their sentence, and yet cannot own a firearm?

Repeat offenders were too dumb to manage a grass habit, so you expect the state to presume that they'll manage a lethal weapon any better? If it was one offense for possession you wouldn't be in this situation. My "self righteous" opinion has nothing to do with your charge, it has to deal with the fact that you think people can repeatedly break the law and then expect to be labeled a victim of oppressive legislation. It just doesn't work that way...

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Regardless of some individuals plights, this ruling may make it easier to sell more pro-gun legislation the next time the rapscallions come back to town.

Law Abiding Citizen: Constitutional Carry Bill?
    Naysayer: No! That would have people shooting each other like the wild west.
    Law Abiding Citizen: That's what you dumbasses said about "strict scrutiny!"
    Naysayer: Errrrrr.
    Law Abiding Citizen: Exactly! Now pass it, already!

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    As it stands, LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 misleads individuals since Federal law supersedes it. An individual subject to LSA-R.S. 14:95.1, who may obtain a weapon after 10 years, is still subject to Federal conviction. While LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 may be constitutional, it also creates a mouse-trap.

The La Supreme Court Justices did touch on this in their 17 page opinion/ruling.

http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2014/13KK2306.opn.pdf
    Excerpts....below

PAGE-14

We conclude that LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 serves a compelling governmental
    interest that has long been jurisprudentially recognized and is grounded in the
    legislature’s intent to protect the safety of the general public from felons convicted
    of specified serious crimes, who have demonstrated a dangerous disregard for the
    law and the safety of others and who present a potential threat of further or future
    criminal activity. See State v. Amos, 343 So.2d at 168. Further, the law is
    narrowly tailored in its application to the possession of firearms or the carrying of
    concealed weapons for a period of only ten years from the date of completion of
    sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence,
    and to only those convicted
    of the enumerated felonies determined by the legislature to be offenses having the
    actual or potential danger of harm to other members of the general public.6

Under these circumstances, we find *a long history, a substantial consensus, and simple
    common sense* to be sufficient evidence for even a strict scrutiny review. State in
    the Interest of J.M., ___ So.3d at ___ (quoting Burson v. Freeman, 504 U.S.
    191, 211, 112 S.Ct. 1846, 1858, 119 L.Ed.2d 5 (1992)).

We note that Louisiana’s LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 felon-in-possession law is less restrictive than the
    comparable federal law, which encompasses nearly all felonies and has no ten-year cleansing
    period. Pursuant to 18 U.S.C.A. § 922 (g)
    : *It shall be unlawful for any person ... who has been
    convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year ...
    to ... possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or
    ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.*

Each of the three defendants reoffended within a relatively short period of
    time following the completion of previously imposed State supervision. Stevens
    was released from State supervision on his prior conviction for possession of
    marijuana on May 18, 2011, and he was charged with committing a violation of
    LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 on June 8, 2011, only three weeks later. Eberhardt was released
    from State supervision on his prior conviction of unauthorized entry of an
    inhabited dwelling on May 30, 2010, and he was charged with committing a
    violation of LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 on June 27, 2012, approximately two years later

============
    PAGE-15

(though we note that the third count of the indictment against Eberhardt charged
    him with cyberstalking, which had allegedly commenced on or about November 7,
    2010, only twenty-three weeks after completion of his prior State supervision).
    Taylor completed his prior federal sentence for possession of cocaine and was
    released from federal supervision on June 1, 2007, and he was charged with
    committing a violation of LSA-R.S. 14:95.1 on June 21, 2011, approximately four
    years later.
    These three defendants illustrate, rather than show exceptions to, the
    principles underlying felon-in-possession laws such as LSA-R.S. 14:95.1, i.e., that
    certain convicted felons have demonstrated a dangerous disregard for the law and
    present a potential threat of further or future criminal activity and are more likely
    than non felons to engage in illegal and violent gun use. These cases demonstrate
    that convicted felons are not only at risk to reoffend, but are at risk to reoffend
    using firearms.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Regardless of some individuals plights, this ruling may make it easier to sell more pro-gun legislation the next time the rapscallions come back to town.

Law Abiding Citizen: Constitutional Carry Bill?
    Naysayer: No! That would have people shooting each other like the wild west.
    Law Abiding Citizen: That's what you dumbasses said about "strict scrutiny!"
    Naysayer: Errrrrr.
    Law Abiding Citizen: Exactly! Now pass it, already!

Goes hand in hand with my opinion: that it only prevents them from taking the legal route of ownership. if you want a gun you'll get one, regardless of who you are or what your history is.

...which is the biggest flaw with the ideology behind these types of legislation to begin with.

Gungrabishere14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Offgrid
    fact stands: you were convicted of either a felony, or multiple misdemeanors to reach the requirements of this law. In florida first offenders are generally diverted to a PTI diversion program, and even if not a single minor possession is only punishable by 1 year.

Either way, I still fail to see the problem with the law as you argue it. (there ARE problems. just not at this angle) Show me an example of someone that was convicted of a single non-violent misdemeanor, that has served their sentence, and yet cannot own a firearm?

Repeat offenders were too dumb to manage a grass habit, so you expect the state to presume that they'll manage a lethal weapon any better? If it was one offense for possession you wouldn't be in this situation. My "self righteous" opinion has nothing to do with your charge, it has to deal with the fact that you think people can repeatedly break the law and then expect to be labeled a victim of oppressive legislation. It just doesn't work that way...
    I received my UPIN and FL CCL because under federal law in 2010 the state had restored my firearms rights and not until there reinterpretation of LA law which should be up to LA they all of a sudden made anyone with a 10 yr cleanse illegal. Now I don't really care what you think but it is the opinion of 14.95.1 (c) that those rights would be restored. The difference between Florida and LA ccw is FL say if you can legally own a gun which I could at that time vs LA which say it's a privilege say you have to meet certain standards even though Louisiana is an carry state and I was well within my right to do so. The article he quoted was the judges saying that if someone who has not committed a crime in 10 yrs should have there rights restored. I committed state crimes and under state law those rights should be returned to me after 10 yrs. If you don't like it then call your rep. If it were federal crimes than that is a different story and would require a pardon from your president Obama who if I had to guess you voted for twice.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I received my UPIN and FL CCL because under federal law in 2010 the state had restored my firearms rights and not until there reinterpretation of LA law which should be up to LA they all of a sudden made anyone with a 10 yr cleanse illegal. Now I don't really care what you think but it is the opinion of 14.95.1 (c) that those rights would be restored. The difference between Florida and LA ccw is FL say if you can legally own a gun which I could at that time vs LA which say it's a privilege say you have to meet certain standards even though Louisiana is an carry state and I was well within my right to do so. The article he quoted was the judges saying that if someone who has not committed a crime in 10 yrs should have there rights restored. I committed state crimes and under state law those rights should be returned to me after 10 yrs. If you don't like it then call your rep. If it were federal crimes than that is a different story and would require a pardon from your president Obama who if I had to guess you voted for twice.

Eh, I don't need to call my rep. My rep isn't from florida, and if you still lived there you'd play by their rules. Just cause florida said once upon a time that you could carry a firearm doesn't mean that every piece of the country will agree. Don't like it? Move to florida/alaska. Just cause I have a ccw in LA doesn't mean I can bring it to one of the states that refuses to honor it... their state, their rules. Same application here.

voted twice for obama? not sure the relevance there, but you sir clearly do NOT know me.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    barack-obama-easter-bunny-pic-getty-929304545.jpg

madwabbit in real life? you just tinfoil on that a few minutes.

Last edited:

infringed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Louisiana
    ... if you still lived there you'd play by their rules. ... Move to florida/alaska.

The Laws in a person's state of residence do not matter. The law(s) of the state where the conviction occurred take precedence and would activate the unless clause in the Gun Control Act. What Gungrabishere14 is staying is that although he lives (or may live) in Florida where it is completely legal for him to own firearms (an possess a CCL), Federal Law prohibits ownership due to the restrictions placed on Concealed Carry (a Louisiana privilege, not a right) in Louisiana (where he was convicted).

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I'm sure there are good guys who have been convicted of felonies, but by and large felons are felons. For you guys in here who have prior convictions I feel bad for you, but don't commit the felonies, and if you do, don't get convicted. It's very difficult for the public to sympathize with criminals, let alone convicted felons.

In a perfect world (well, a perfect world with felons), I think anyone who is not incarcerated should be able to protect himself. If we can't trust a citizen with a firearm, IMO we can't trust that citizen to be a free person, and they should be back in prison or infirmary.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

Kind of how states legalize marijuana, but you can still be prosecuted federally?

Top Bottom