New truck gets POOR fuel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm driving a 2014 silverado v8 4x4 averaging 19 and that's about half highway half city. With ALOT of stop and go traffic. On a straight highway run, I'll do 23 easy at 75mph. It's got ~5500 miles on it now and just had oil changed yesterday. I expect a slight increase in fuel economy.

Maybe you could hire on with one of the Big 3 because your mileage exceeds what the professional factory drivers get when they baby the vehicles for CAFE.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    ^^^Surprised the hell outta me too. Did my own calculations and it is pretty much on. I don't baby it but don't dog it either. I don't use a truck for good gas mileage, but I'll take all the help I can get.

If I remember right, sticker was 18/22 so that's not much different. Of course actual mileage is usually a little lower not higher. Not unherd of though. I believe there is a guy earlier in this thread getting higher than posted mpg also.

See post #24 and #26

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    Ive got a 2013 2wd silverado, and i believe they say combined is 16, and thats about what i get. I think highway was suppose to be 19, and Last time i hand calculated on a road trip it was getting 20. It did get worse when it was new.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been driving pickups for 56 years and I have heard many stories about great truck mileage but most of them are wishful thinking.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I have a new Tacoma and if you have a 2010+ model Toyota if you want to improve gas mileage. Open the air filter box and for some reason they have fastened a charcoal (type) filter to the housing of the air filter box. I cut it out with my knife on my fiance and my vehicle and saw gas mileage change the next week after doing the fill up / vs tank volume test.

No clue why they put that in there, I was ASE tech for almost 9 years and the air filter does its job it doesn't need that extra filter and on high mileage cars like my fiances the filter was thick and clogged. I say 2010+ but her's is a 2008 so whenever they went to the newer SOHC / DOHC motors it was added.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Did a google search and found this. Looks like the charcoal filter is there to capture fumes coming out of the engine escaping via the air inlet.

FWIW I have no dog in this hunt but Tacoma World did a poll of who thought it help their Tacoma. Now this has to be accurate as it came from the web:rolleyes:

I've removed the air filter: I notice a difference 22 23.66%
    I've removed the air filter: No difference 24 25.81%
    I haven't removed it but I plan to 9 9.68%
    I haven't removed it and don't plan to 22 23.66%
    My decision depends on the outcome of this poll 16 17.20%
    Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Last edited:

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Weird, because when I worked for GMC we used to hide the K&N setups in the factory box and seal them, same when I was at Honda when rice rockets were cool. I mean there is no way any back pressure is lost from the TB pulling air...technically most vehicles with factory setup or just intaking the hot engine air anyway.

I also put some new filters in both of our vehicles... they are not K&N but (have to look up name) these are kinda same design (not big can) but flat, cleanable filters that are for just gas mileage not producing extra horsepower like some boast. For the life of me I forget the name they were expensive as hell, I waited till they were on special and they had a promo code before I bought them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom