1911 Issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have a WWII Colt M1911A1 that I inherited. I am a pretty good shot, but I can't hit the side of a barn with this firearm. Everything works fine except that it won't feed hollow points. I have totally disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, but it still has issues. Wondering if the barrel is shot out. Who is a good 1911 smith in the Baton Rouge area?

Thanks

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    There is lots of info out there on these fine firearms. The original John Browning designed war time issued side arms were designed to fire ball ammunition exclusively (230 gr). The GI models were not designed to fire any other weight or style of bullets, especially modern jacket hollow point ammo. Some brands may work in these original classics if they mimic the same bullet shape and length of the cartridge. Good luck with your 1911A1 and add a photo or two for us to drool over.

More learned members will chime in here and help you out with the info you requested regarding gunsmiths that may assist you in BR area. Welcome aboard.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My pop was a reserve deputy and this was his duty weapon. According to the story he told me when I was 13 (I'm 60+ now), he bought it from a wino for $100. It was already plated when he got it. According to the guys on 1911.org, it may be a Lend Lease weapon, because it has British proof marks on many parts (barrel, slide, frame, etc.). The S/N puts it manufactured in 1944, and it has United States Property and M1911A1 US Army on the frame. The plating makes it less valuable as a collector I've been told.

001r_zpsdd63093a.jpg

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    When you said you couldn't hit the side of a barn with it it reminded me of what my Dad said about them when he was in the Army during Korea. He hated shooting them but adored the Garand..Directly out of his mouth was "...I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the damn thing.....". Funny!!

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Plated or not it a nice piece sir. One I would be proud to own. Try bigjakewelch he's a smith and BS member here in BR.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Stick with ball ammo should be no issues. A gun of that vintage should probably be looked at by someone competent, at its age may need a spring or two.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I have a WWII Colt M1911A1 that I inherited. I am a pretty good shot, but I can't hit the side of a barn with this firearm. Everything works fine except that it won't feed hollow points. I have totally disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, but it still has issues. Wondering if the barrel is shot out. Who is a good 1911 smith in the Baton Rouge area?

Thanks

These old guns were built with a looser slide to frame fit so they would function reliably in all sorts of conditions. I had one and it was a "close range" weapon. I am sure it can be improved by a competent gunsmith. I don't know about any collector value, but it is a fine old gun.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Try a bushing first, single most important factor for accuracy in a 1911.

This...it is relatively inexpensive part, easy to change, and you may be surprised by how much it will improve even taking a few thousandths of "play" out of the barrel will help your groups...

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    As far as hollow points, you might try some speer gold dots. They are known to be a good hollow point, but they follow a ball pattern. They generally work pretty well when other HPs won't.

You also might get Lloyd Landry to take a look at your gun.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    As far as hollow points, you might try some speer gold dots. They are known to be a good hollow point, but they follow a ball pattern. They generally work pretty well when other HPs won't.

You also might get Lloyd Landry to take a look at your gun.

Good advice.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    most types of hollow point do not feed well. more so if it is a truncated cone hp. try something like goldensaber or fed hst. they are close to the same shape as ball and tend to feed better

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    All of the responses are correct. Hollow points with the same general shape as hard ball will probably feed without jamming. Accuracy and reliability can be improved in a lot of the older 1911's. Part of the price in models with higher price tags is the custom work that goes into them. A lot of gunsmiths specialize in 1911's. I would suggest that you talk to some about what you want out of your gun, and get some prices. Your options will depend on how much you want to spend. Good luck and good shooting. David Hood

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom