Officer checking IDs of household residents

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Someone on facebook (admittedly not the most reliable source) just posted that a local officer came to her door, asked for her ID, and told her he wanted to make sure she was OK.

That doesn't seem normal to me... what do y'all think?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Is there any reason that a relative may have requested a welfare check on this person? That's the only think I can think of. If she hasn't been heard from in a few days and isn't answering the phone, maybe someone was worried about her.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    Id have a million and one things running through my head, lol.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't know the girl (facebook group member) but from what she posted it seemed to be a neighborhood thing. She lives in a ...ummm... problematic? area that has a good bit of law enforcement activity nearby. I'm guessing here but it seemed the police were looking for someone and going door to door and requesting ID was their solution. They actually took her id to the car and ran it.
    She was just posting trying to find out what was going on in the area. Officers going door to door asking for ID would have me concerned... I'm wondering what would have happened if she refused, or if they found a traffic attachment or something on her!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I could see that escalating quickly or them using some sort of unnecessary force.

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    + 1. on the possible 911 hang up. The cops get criticized if they don't respond, and if they do. So I would rather that they do follow up.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    There are several reasons why someone in Law Enforcement would check on someone in a house and ask for ID..
    Just be glad he had time to do it.
    When I have asked for a welfare check on someone when I was out of town, it was hours and hours later than it occurred.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Personally, I don't think I would've given him/her my ID without an explanation of some sort. If the LEO is a decent person and not looking for trouble, they shouldn't have a problem explaining why they came to my door in the first place.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm not going to hand over my ID to anybody unless they have a good explanation . Taking it out to the car and running a check sounds fishy . Seems like more than a welfare check .

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There are several reasons why someone in Law Enforcement would check on someone in a house and ask for ID..
    Just be glad he had time to do it.
    When I have asked for a welfare check on someone when I was out of town, it was hours and hours later than it occurred.

Welfare check? Its not the 3rd of the month!

Seriously, I was wondering if the officer was on a fishing expedition hoping for probable cause to search the house...

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I don't remember the class in the academy teaching cadets to go to random houses and ask for id and run it in hopes of getting probable cause to search a house. But that was a long time ago, maybe things have changed. Why didn't the person ask the cop why he wanted id? Unless we know the answer to that, we are all ignorant. Everything is just a guess.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    She didn't ask. All I know. She was posting trying to find out if they were searching for someone dangerous, etc. in her neighborhood. She wasn't fazed by the officer asking for her ID. I didn't understand it though, which is why I posted here. I was not trying to start a cop bashing thread, but I'd like to hear a good reason to do that. It didn't seem kosher to me.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Maybe a LEO on here could chime in and give us some potential reasoning behind what that officer did? I'd imagine he/she would have a better guess/understanding than alot of us......

Top Bottom