Is this knife legal here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes, that would be considered an auto-opening knife.

The bottom line is, if you can open the knife using a spring loaded mechanism without touching the blade (via button/lever), it's considered an auto opener. It doesn't matter if the blade comes out the front or from the side.

Assisted opening knives, which are legal, are spring loaded but still require interacting with the blade to open them.

Since almost all knives these days are super easy to open one handed anyway I think it's one of the dumbest laws on the books.

electronicwiz

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Brusly
    You can own it, just not carry it, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think you can.

(4)(a) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance located on the handle.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Correct. Technically you can't even own one. Realistically, I don't know how or why that would be enforced unless you were stopped while carrying one. I don't think any cops are kicking in doors to inspect knife collections. But still, I guess you'd be assuming some amount of risk by owning it.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I'v never understood the difference between switchblades and auto opening in regards to the law so I just figured I'd ask if this knife is legal here in La.
    This one
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/7505-132

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you mean difference between switchblade and assisted opening, as a switch blade and auto opening is the same thing. The knife posted is illegal to own unless one qualifies to own in the above listed law.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yeah, these knife laws are the stupidest. I can legally carry a gun, but not certain kinds of knives. That's "rub **** in your hair" stupid.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Even if that was the case I still couldn't purchase one without flashing a badge. Of which I don't have.

That's not entirely true. You can buy switchblade style knives on Amazon and on various other internet stores (ebay has a lottttt). You can also get the at gun shows and even at some stores. I don't think there is a law that states it is the seller's duty to determine who is legally able to purchase knives.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    That's not entirely true. You can buy switchblade style knives on Amazon and on various other internet stores (ebay has a lottttt). You can also get the at gun shows and even at some stores. I don't think there is a law that states it is the seller's duty to determine who is legally able to purchase knives.

This is true. I know a guy who purchased several of them locally and on line. He got rid of them when he found out they were illegal to have.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

Interesting. I figured there would paperwork to fill out. Hhmmmm

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Interesting. I figured there would paperwork to fill out. Hhmmmm

Nope. I have seen many people EDC "switchblades" whether they are illegal or not. I don't really care for them myself. I prefer assisted opening. I just don't see the hype in pushing a button to open a knife vs flipping it open. To each his own I guess.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Nope. I have seen many people EDC "switchblades" whether they are illegal or not. I don't really care for them myself. I prefer assisted opening. I just don't see the hype in pushing a button to open a knife vs flipping it open. To each his own I guess.

A good OTF is one of the best ADD toys ever invented.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    LEGAL ISSUES

Q. How do I, as a private citizen purchase an Automatic knife from Benchmade®? I don't agree with Benchmade's Automatic knife policy and repair policy.
    A. Benchmade Knife Company, Inc. follows guidelines outlined in the Federal Codes, which prohibit us to ship Automatic knife(s) to anyone other than Public Safety/Military. To comply, you have the option of registering with this website as the "Public Safety/Military" web account type, and digitally sign the Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgment Form. We do not make any exceptions to this Law, which is not applicable to Oregon Residents at this time.

PRICES

Top Bottom