1911 front sight tool

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    Though I would try here before I buy a tool
    to replace my stake on front sights.
    It is on a Colt series 80 1911. I live in the Lafayette area.
    Thanks.

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    Acadiana Gunworks in Scott has the tools to do it. It's not an easy job to perform flawlessly (aesthetics wise). Masking tape should be used liberally to protect the finish.

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    Thanks for the reply. I did call them yesterday and the lady who anwsered phone quoted me $50.00-$100.00. I was hoping $25.00-$50.00, which is the tool price.
    I have done some research on how to do this with the tape and all. We will see. I also want it to look nice. Not saying I would not try to do a good job or anything.
    ;)

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    #Lol @ya'll.

Ares, the images I found show that front sight as flat-sided, so you're spot on that a tenon staker should be the only special tool you'll need. Williams was smart leaving the top plane flat, as the biggest risk installing a stake-on fiber optic sight is crushing the top parts that hold the rod. If you found good instructions for a normal stake installation, the same steps should apply. I recommend hardwood with a leather strip directly underneath your front sight while the slide is held upside-down. The angle of support (flat relative to top plane of sight) is critical. I've found the best vice is a spare set of gloved hands, but you can do it alone if you setup carefully and adjust for any shifting during the staking. Definitely use much masking tape if you elect to use a (rubber) padded vice. I use the Brownells staker.

Top Bottom