S&W Governor Info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I am looking at buying a S & W Governor (model 162411) and wanted to hear what owners have to say about them.
    Mainly used as home defense.

Like?
    Dislikes?
    Worth adding to the collection?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I wouldn't mine owning one, but I'd rather have one that can handle .460SW/.454 Casull/ .45lc/.45acp/ and .410

I don't know if that's doable, but seems to me it should be.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I dont own one but have had the chance to shoot a couple. They're well made and point naturally for me. I have large hands and the grip was comfortable. All of the shots were at 10 yards. Bird shot at that range is useless, even for birds. The pdx1, fed 000 buck and hornady triple defense all grouped/patterned 3-5". Thats about as far as i'd recommend using the 410 loads. 45 colt and acp offer better ammo imo. All in all its a fun gun but as a first hand gun theres better ways to spend $700. If its just one more in the collection or you've already made up your mind that you just want it, i say go for it. Just dont mount a laser on top. They dont like that around here.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I dont own one but have had the chance to shoot a couple. They're well made and point naturally for me. I have large hands and the grip was comfortable. All of the shots were at 10 yards. Bird shot at that range is useless, even for birds. The pdx1, fed 000 buck and hornady triple defense all grouped/patterned 3-5". Thats about as far as i'd recommend using the 410 loads. 45 colt and acp offer better ammo imo. All in all its a fun gun but as a first hand gun theres better ways to spend $700. If its just one more in the collection or you've already made up your mind that you just want it, i say go for it. Just dont mount a laser on top. They dont like that around here.

I was thinking this might be a good home defense gun (kept in the night stand). What I am hearing you say is the idea of the 410 load is probably a novilty more or less. If I'm going to keep 45 acp loaded I could just keep what I have by the beside. Correct?

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I believe the 3 loads mentioned above would work within their limited range. I'm just saying i dont like limiting my range. Some will argue capacity as a detriment. Thats a judgement call. If you like revolvers it shouldnt affect your decision.

Multiple projectiles increase the likelihood of a hit in the dark but also increase liability if they miss. They also sacrifice sectional density as it relates to penetration. The coin has 2 sides and neither is perfect.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    410 is useless compared to real defensive ammo. Plenty of info backing this up.

45lc is an expensive round, better to go with 45acp. Better ammo selection, prices, availability etc.

Given the 2 statements above I would not consider a Taurus judge or the Governator as a self defense gun.

A night stand gun needs to have a weapon light, and you really should have a handheld light as well. Not too many revolvers have rails for lights, there are some.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    The snub nosed .410 pistols are a gimmick, pure and simple. They are worthless. However, my little brother has a taurus tracker model with a 5" barrel and that thing is a varmint killing machine. It is hands down the best thing I have ever found for dealing with snakes. As a woods gun or trail gun, it really is hard to beat. But that only applies to one with a barrel 4" or longer, not the snubbies. I really like the thing, but there is no way I would ever choose one for use on two-legged varmints.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    So now what are you gonna do with that beast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I have a 500 too.
    I picked up a 8 3/8 model from a member here, and thoroughly enjoy it!

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I have a 500 too.
    I picked up a 8 3/8 model from a member here, and thoroughly enjoy it!

No feathers ruffled. Lol.
    I enjoy shooting the 500. I have the 4" and I'm looking for a 2". It's an amazing revolver.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    rifled barrels ruin shot patterns. when you look at them on the target, there's a "ring' of pellets around a big empty center, where the centrifugal force spun the pellets out. The velocity and penetration of the buck pellets is very low. It's a huge, heavy expensive clunk. I'd rather have a $400 Kahr 9mm, I aint kidding.

SemperTy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Slidell
    I've had my Governor for a year or so. Great gun and really fun to shoot. I had a Thunder five that I sold to a friend. I got governor with the laser grips from Gunbroker.
    I've shot 45LC 45ACP and 410 shot and buck all worked well. I got the laser adjusted to shoot nice ant tight at about 20 feet with 45ACP.
    Hope this info helps.

SemperTy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Slidell
    I really like the idea of the 460 instead. It shoots the .460, 454 Casull, and 45LC. I've always wanted to know how those did on the practice front.

Top Bottom