Would you shoot these?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    IMG_20140728_13031_edit_1406570606460.jpg

Dad gave me a box with a bunch of old random ammo/stuff. Around 700 small pistol primers, they look good. No corrosion or any discoloration.

Should I shoot them or dispose of them?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have followed several threads on other forums concerning "old" primers and their usefulness. The general opinion is to go right ahead and use them.
    I can see what appears to be a stain on the sleeves suggesting some exposure to moisture of some sort at some time. I have been lead to believe, based on other people's experience, that even this makes little difference. Some experimenters have even intentionally soaked primers in various liquids to test the theory and the primers still fired when allowed to completely dry out first. If you have any doubts, load them for "practice only" ammo.

I say shoot 'em.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I still have some from that era and they are working fine and would trust my life with them! It is best to keep primers and ammunition in a cool dry place.

Primer mixtures are packed in the cups wet and dried out to be sensitive enough to work. Even if they got damp or wet they will dry out again if kept in a dry place.
    Just visually inspect them to see that the compound is still inside the cups. Test them to see if they indeed work. :)

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    At worse they won't fire, but my money would be they ALL go bang. So shoot 'em!!

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    IMG_20140728_13031_edit_1406570606460.jpg

Dad gave me a box with a bunch of old random ammo/stuff. Around 700 small pistol primers, they look good. No corrosion or any discoloration.

Should I shoot them or dispose of them?

I would use them, but not in any "critical ammo" target stuff sure, Maybe even competition. but not for defense.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang 'cept for the one or two that you don't seat or put in upside down. Time to thank that man again for all of the fun he just gave you. Might use some thing with a known good history for non-play time though.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In the last few years, I've gone through several thousand Federal SPP and LPP that were easily 20-25 years old. Not a single problem with any of them.

As suggested above, I used them for practice ammo, not for matches. But still, it didn't matter. They all fired.

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I have some that actually went thru a flood in texas over 10 yrs ago. Dried them out and they all go bang. Those should be fine.

Top Bottom