Harahan gun range burglarized, police say

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I totally agree with this. Some shooters tend to not care about their surroundings, who else is shooting, who else is using the lane after they leave (leaving targets hung, not sweeping brass), not paying attention to their casing flying over the barrier into other lanes and possibly striking other shooters, rapid firing (which they know they are not allowed to do)... etc.

I saw a guy in a wheelchair there once and I had to leave because he was trying to adjust his chair while holding a loaded 1911 with one in the chamber and his finger on the trigger. I was in the lobby just waiting for the "POP". Shooters come in all the time that have owned their weapon for months (sometimes hours) and never shot it, read a manual, tried to reload it, clean it, etc. much less hold and fire it.

Are you suggesting that people are rude, discourteous, and inconsiderate? Say it ain't so!

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    but not ONE of them other than the course at The Shooters Club completes the ENTIRE packet with you... fingerprints, passport photo, everything but the postage!.

This is incorrect, as I have had great experiences with non-shooters club instructors who have helped with the "ENTIRE" package.....
    (But I'm not an uber regular customer, I didn't freak out when Justin Bieber was in there, I like to do my thing and move on to the next activity in life.)

I hope the criminals are caught.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I get that. Thanks for clarifying.

I totally agree with this. Some shooters tend to not care about their surroundings, who else is shooting, who else is using the lane after they leave (leaving targets hung, not sweeping brass), not paying attention to their casing flying over the barrier into other lanes and possibly striking other shooters, rapid firing (which they know they are not allowed to do)... etc.

I saw a guy in a wheelchair there once and I had to leave because he was trying to adjust his chair while holding a loaded 1911 with one in the chamber and his finger on the trigger. I was in the lobby just waiting for the "POP". Shooters come in all the time that have owned their weapon for months (sometimes hours) and never shot it, read a manual, tried to reload it, clean it, etc. much less hold and fire it.

And they let those people shoot without any kind of supervision?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And they let those people shoot without any kind of supervision?

"The Right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed!"

Watch out, be safe, protect yourself. If it's unsafe as you infer; tell the owner or leave. You are implying that gun ownership should have parental type pre-requisites?!?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    "The Right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed!"

Watch out, be safe, protect yourself. If it's unsafe as you infer; tell the owner or leave. You are implying that gun ownership should have parental type pre-requisites?!?

No one said anything about gun ownership.

A range is a private business. Your 2A rights have nothing to do with the ability or availability of using a shooting range.

You are like the people who think no guns signs on a business are a violation of 2A. LOL

You have a right to jump out of a plane if you so choose, but most Sky diving business's will make sure you either have a certain level of training/experience or will put you through instruction on the most essential items and typically place an instructor with you.

Based on what others have posted, I am just asking should there be some kind of "due diligence" issue with things like shooting ranges?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    How do you prove how much "experience" or lack-there-of someone coming in has other than simply asking them unless you observe each and every shooter individually? I have witnessed customers coming in who get out in a lane and don't even know how to load their own weapon... yet they state that they have indeed had experience with the weapon and fired it before.

There's no stamp on someone's hand that lets these guys know if that person is an experienced shooter or someone who just purchased a weapon an hour before (you can spot the bullet holes in the lane dividers)... or who just rented one from them a second before. Though, when they rent them, and they ask "Have you fired a weapon before?" or "Are you familiar with this weapon?", if the person answers truthfully... they do take the time to show the shooter how to load it, clear it, etc.

Supervision of the range is constantly ongoing though there is no staff member assigned to sit and watch the lane cameras constantly... another cost that would effect membership and range fees. Everything costs money... fix one issue and everyone will find something else to complain about.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No one said anything about gun ownership.

A range is a private business. Your 2A rights have nothing to do with the ability or availability of using a shooting range.

You are like the people who think no guns signs on a business are a violation of 2A. LOL

You have a right to jump out of a plane if you so choose, but most Sky diving business's will make sure you either have a certain level of training/experience or will put you through instruction on the most essential items and typically place an instructor with you.

Based on what others have posted, I am just asking should there be some kind of "due diligence" issue with things like shooting ranges?

You should recheck your thoughts based on the context of the previous posts. Because you are right! I didn't imply anything about ownership either. I wrote; "If it's unsafe as you infer; tell the owner or leave." a la private business concern!

If you agreed there were folks there that were unsafely handling weapons you should do what I suggested; instead you inferred agreement to the post that pointed out the folks that go buy guns and have no idea how to use them, and to that I say, so what? It is their Right to have that firearm and not know how to use it. Is it unfortunate? Of course it is. But I don't support any further requirements to access legal firearms by law abiding citizens.

Now this;
    is just silly!

As for you final statement; refer to my "a la private business" remark. Who knows, the range owner could be ecstatic that unsafe people are muzzle sweeping everyone?!? You should ask. :p

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    You should recheck your thoughts based on the context of the previous posts. Because you are right! I didn't imply anything about ownership either. I wrote; "If it's unsafe as you infer; tell the owner or leave." a la private business concern!

If you agreed there were folks there that were unsafely handling weapons you should do what I suggested; instead you inferred agreement to the post that pointed out the folks that go buy guns and have no idea how to use them, and to that I say, so what? It is their Right to have that firearm and not know how to use it. Is it unfortunate? Of course it is. But I don't support any further requirements to access legal firearms by law abiding citizens.

Now this; is just silly!

As for you final statement; refer to my "a la private business" remark. Who knows, the range owner could be ecstatic that unsafe people are muzzle sweeping everyone?!? You should ask. :p

How is that last statement silly? Could you please elaborate? Are you of the belief that a "no guns sign" on a private business is a violation of the 2A?

I apologize, but there was not anything vaguely coherent in the rest of your post that I could actually respond to. All I can assume is that you fail to recognize that your posting of the 2A was an inference to gun ownership, or perhaps you do not realize what the 2A actually applies to. i am not yet sure.

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    How do you prove how much "experience" or lack-there-of someone coming in has other than simply asking them unless you observe each and every shooter individually? I have witnessed customers coming in who get out in a lane and don't even know how to load their own weapon... yet they state that they have indeed had experience with the weapon and fired it before.

There's no stamp on someone's hand that lets these guys know if that person is an experienced shooter or someone who just purchased a weapon an hour before (you can spot the bullet holes in the lane dividers)... or who just rented one from them a second before. Though, when they rent them, and they ask "Have you fired a weapon before?" or "Are you familiar with this weapon?", if the person answers truthfully... they do take the time to show the shooter how to load it, clear it, etc.

Supervision of the range is constantly ongoing though there is no staff member assigned to sit and watch the lane cameras constantly... another cost that would effect membership and range fees. Everything costs money... fix one issue and everyone will find something else to complain about.

I understand, and acknowledge there is no 100% way to know if someone will be safe or not once on the range. I am not saying there is even a solution to the problem. However, I am sure in at least some of the cases, some basic conversation would establish the realization that someone DOES NOT know a whole lot about what they are about to do.

That is good that they do take the time to orient new shooters. I agree that everything costs money.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Why do you think there aren't enough shooting ranges? Ask you buddy about the liability insurance alone.

Perhaps people lie about their level of experience at that range for much the same reasons members lie on here. Fear of reprisal, shame? Who knows. Nonetheless, you need to discuss this with your friend. Cause if someone gets killed or injured there out of negligence, he and you; won't have a place to shoot.

Once they enter your friends business, they belong to him. When they walk out in to the public; they're there. It's on them!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    How is that last statement silly? Could you please elaborate? Are you of the belief that a "no guns sign" on a private business is a violation of the 2A?

It's silly because you don't realize where my heart and head lies in relation to private business and 2nd A freedoms. You may never meet a more ardent supporter of both than me! It's all good!

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    It's silly because you don't realize where my heart and head lies in relation to private business and 2nd A freedoms. You may never meet a more ardent supporter of both than me! It's all good!

That is a valid point. I only have your posts and conversation with me to go off of, and what you typed, to me, illustrated a lack of understanding, not necessarily support.

I will only offer (not saying you necessarily), but people often are ardent supporters of things they do not completely understand. KONY2012!

Top Bottom