off center firing pin

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have a Beretta Nano that has kinda been a Beretta Nono in my experience. First time to the range shooting silver bear 147gr HP, failed to cycle, was ammo related. Second time out performed well with factory (American) and reloads.
    Yesterday 6-percent misfires on fairly fresh reloads and I noticed primer punches off-center. A buddy shot a few of these reloads in his P-38 no issues. Could my pistol be missing the anvil in the primers because of the location of the firing pin? I guess I'll be asking Beretta this same question and I'll bet their response will be negative towards reloads.
    Could it be chamber location in barrel or firing pin hole in slide?

Attachments

• primer hits1.jpg
      primer hits1.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 138
    Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I dont know about the beretta but if a glock hits like that its trying to fire out of battery.The cause of that is usually reloads that are not chambering from the glock brass bulge.

Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Because the pistol functioned fine with other ammo and the silver bear rounds sat a little higher in the chamber when I had the barrel out of the gun. This Beretta ain't no Glock, its kinda picky, Glock runs with everything. I don't know for sure, i'd be bs'n if i told you different. Could be nickle plating, I don't know. I'll shoot ruskie crud in another gun.

Misfired round base od .386 mouth where bullet seats .375 brass
    silver bear .3875 .377 nickel or zinc
    rem .3845 .3765 nickel
    win .3835 .3735 brass
    all rounds with the exception of the silver bear fall into the chamber easily/loose, there is free space around both reloads and factory win and r-p. silver bear is closer and again one of the few rounds i dropped into the chamber sat high, rim above chamber.

Last edited:

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    I've had FTE problems with Silver Bear 9mm and even their 7.62x39 and 57r . Just stopped using them.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Most likely cause is primers not fully seated in the reloads. Did they go bang on the second strike of the primer?

Remedy would be to clean your primer pockets before seating primers, and insure that all primers are fully seated.

Remove by swagging, or cutting, any crimp on the primer pockets before seating primers.

A test of my hypothesis would be to fire some quality factory ammunition to check for misfires. I'll wager with quality factory ammunition you'll have no issues.

I've seen fp strikes much further off center that were not an issue.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Thanks I'll see what's what. Shoot some factory ammo. Make some rounds and ensure the primers aree fully seated, but really the hits look pretty good as far as not looking light. second strike didn't fire.

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    I have never seen an off-center primer strike NOT ignite the primer--if the main spring is the proper weight, the primer is seated properly, and the round is chambered fully (given that the primer itself has priming compound and wasn't "killed" by contamination).
    Has your gun always hit the primers off-center or could the breech/extractor need cleaning?

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Never noticed firing pin strike locations, looked for other stuff because never had this issue, other issues as discussed. I haven't fired but a couple or three times. I'll get it worked out couldn't be a cleaning issue with the few rounds that have been thru the gun between cleanings. If that's the case I don't want this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom