Appleseed Rifleman Course

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I have been to 2 at Amite, taking my son to both. I will probably be going to one soon with my younger son. They are worth every penny, and you will learn something no matter what your history background or shooting background. I couldn't recommend it more. I actually managed to score Rifleman, and got the patch, not an easy feat.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    what rifle did you use? I am considering the marlin fron the website or a bolt action. I like bolt action more because I want to practice at longer ranges and bolts are typically more accurate. I could borrow a ruger 10/22 but I want a .22 of my own.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I used a ruger 10/22 with tec-sights. The first one, I borrowed one of theirs, and brought my SAR-1 to try as well. I liked the 10/22 with the tec-sights so much, I went and bought one myself. You will have a difficult time using a bolt action for their AQT, you will be timed, firing in cadence, changing positions, and changing magazines. If you have a 10/22, bring it, at 25m, it is plenty more accurate than you are. By the end of the day, you will make the holes touch. If you don't, see if you can borrow one for the day, they are often willing to help with that.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    The Slidell venue is held at Camp Villere, this is a very nice range. We actually have good ranges for all 3 that we use in the SE Louisiana area. The National Guard, Tangipahoa Sheriff office, and Plaquemines Sheriff office have been very supportive.

Appleseed simply uses the same method to teach marksmanship as our military used for generations. The AQT target Appleseed uses is a slightly modified version of the original Army Qualification Test. The process will get your markmanship skills up to speed quick, it really works. I was experienced shooter but I leaned a lot more at Appleseed. We often have police and active military at many Appleseed events.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have been in the guard for 5 years and qualify expert but I am interested in learning and perfecting the basics. I would like to reach out further also and have read that practicing with .22lr is a very good tool.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    In the old days the military use to practice with 22LR ammo for economy of it. The skills learned do translate out to the KD (Known Distance) range. I remember bringing an Appleseed shooter out to a CMP Leg match to shoot at 600yds for the very first time. Previously he had only fired 25m Appleseeds, his first shot a 600yds was a pinwheel X...To say he was a happy camper, would be an under statement.

There are 2 CMP EIC "Leg" matches in the area (Palo Alto) in the spring and fall each year. Shooting a Leg match is about as close to shooting an AQT is it comes. If you can shoot a Rifleman score on the Appleseed AQT you have all the skills needed to shoot a leg match.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    geeck, I am usually told that a semiautomatic 10/22 is the way to go because transitioning targets. I would likely borrow a ruger from a family member but I am looking at this savage with a longer barrel and bolt action for longer shots. is it uncommon to see people shoot well with a bolt? I perfer bolt because that's what my go-to rifle is and I would like to continue developing the motion of cycling without changing sight picture.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    We now have our first lady Appleseed instructor in Louisiana and she shot her qualifying score with a left hand bolt gun... her score 234/250. We encourage people to bring the rifle they are going to train or shoot with. However if you have no way of charging the rifle via magazine or stripper clips it is hard to shoot the rapids in the allotted time. If your rifle holds more than 11 rounds we can work out a course of fire for you.

Since you're the first that has show interest in a "loaner" for Slidell (they go fast sometimes), if you PM me I will arrange for you to use one of my 10/22 loaners.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I have never been to an appleseed shoot, but I will say that I had Dan P and geek assist me in teaching a Introduction to Highpower clinic and their block of instruction was excellent.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thank you for the offer but I was going to borrow one from my father in law if I do not buy one.

I had owned a Marlin XT from academy with a 22" barrel that was dead on but it only hold 7 shots per mag.

What is the furthest targets for the course? Have you ever handled those Marlin 795s from when they paired with the appleseed group? Seems to be a good deal at the moment online.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    If you have 2 mags we can work out a COF for you and your XT rifle. Camp Villere is a 22LR only range, all firing is done from 25m.

There are plenty 795 Marlins on the line at Appleseed matter of fact Marlin makes a 795 specifically for Appleseed a LTR (Liberty Training Rifle). It comes with all the popular mods people do for Appleseed and a coupon to attend an Appleseed. https://appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html

Ruger will be offering an official 10/22 LTR directly from Ruger http://bearingarms.com/first-look-at-the-appleseed-ruger/

Last edited:

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    A few thoughts and notes about Appleseed events:
    1. You will learn (reinforce/practice) rifle marksmanship fundamentals: solid positions (using a USGI sling), NPOA, and the 6 steps to firing the shot; you will not learn tactics (shooting on the move, use of cover, etc.).
    2. If you are a beginner, you will improve - a lot. If you are already a good shot, you very likely will get even better.
    3. Beginners rarely hold up anyone's progress. You shoot your own target and focus on what you need to work on. It doesn't matter much who is next to you.
    4. You would be hard pressed to find a more cost-effective way to improve your skills.
    If you have particular questions, don't hesitate to contact me or geeck.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Hoping work allows me to attend the next Amite clinic.
    How would an AR with a .22 conversion work?
    What sights would be best - iron, red dot or a 4 power Trigicon.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    I'm partial to irons myself...

If your conversion and selection of ammo can hold 2-3 moa you should be okay, some 22LR bullets don't like certain twist rates of AR barrels.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    We get an almost even mix between irons and scopes. Very few red dots, and those that we see often fail (not too many high end red dots on 10/22s!). A scope on low power works fine at 25M. Anything too powerful though causes the sight picture to jump around too much. 4 power is fine.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Went to one at Amite and had a great time with some phenomenal instruction. Sadly, had to take off the first day for work stuff but plan on attending again.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    If you are thinking about attending an Appleseed event with a junior shooter and are having trouble finding .22LR, contact me. We have a source of .22 for juniors that we can pass along at cost for use at our events.

Top Bottom