Public Land

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryanralston12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Rossville, GA
    Hey everybody! My wife and I are students here in New Orleans, Louisiana (originally from Georgia where we hunt on our private land). We found out about a hunting license for out-of-state students and we want to try and bag some Louisiana deer this year. Where are some places that we can hunt on public land within an hour to 2 hour drive? We aren't looking for trophies, but we are looking for meat for the freezer. Thanks everyone!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Use the search engine here to try (and I mean this generously), to find some threads about that very subject. Also, go to the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries website. It's chock full of info pertaining to that endeavor.

Ryanralston12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Rossville, GA
    Thanks everyone. I had looked on the website, but I didn't know if there was one that was more preferable over the other public land areas.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    What ? You really think you and your wife are going to bale off in one of our swamps.. and resurface ? Make friends first with a local and work out the details...Oh and Welcome, You can thank me later.

Hey everybody! My wife and I are students here in New Orleans, Louisiana (originally from Georgia where we hunt on our private land). We found out about a hunting license for out-of-state students and we want to try and bag some Louisiana deer this year. Where are some places that we can hunt on public land within an hour to 2 hour drive? We aren't looking for trophies, but we are looking for meat for the freezer. Thanks everyone!

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    if you go into honey island, suggest the north side of old hwy 11, it is more hardwood than the south side. if you go before the 1st cold snap be aware there are lots of snakes.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    if you go into honey island, suggest the north side of old hwy 11, it is more hardwood than the south side. if you go before the 1st cold snap be aware there are lots of snakes.

Bring a compass and a GPS, along with the knowledge to use it if you plan on going more than 50 yards off a road.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Bring a compass and a GPS, along with the knowledge to use it if you plan on going more than 50 yards off a road.

and bring a firearm and pleny of patience for stupidity if you stay close to roads. verify that your target has 4 legs before you pull the trigger- there's a lot of dumb hunters out there.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    there's a lot of dumb hunters out there.

That's an understatement! Lol! I hunt Thistlewaite mainly and that place is a zoo the day after Thanksgiving. So many idiots doing dumb and dangerous things.

I'm glad that after a hunt or two in the sea of palmettos most of them get discouraged and don't come back till the next year.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    and bring a firearm and pleny of patience for stupidity if you stay close to roads. verify that your target has 4 legs before you pull the trigger- there's a lot of dumb hunters out there.

^^^^^ This too, but if your like me and get in early and dont mind walking a mile or two its fairly idiot free. Most wont go far enough back in the swamp to really have a nice hunt.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    that is why i only go on non holiday weekdays. had two close calls with idiots with 10/12's hunting on weekends. one was trying to hit a running rabbit, thank God I was sitting with my back to an Oak tree and bullets came flying by. the other time was when some kids decided to try and take a hog with .22's and they were under adult supervision.

Top Bottom