Poplarville 3 Gun Starting back up ???????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjinpass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Sorry for the delay in posting guys. Some of us have been working...

We are definitely going to restart in September with 3-gun matches. The next match will be on September 7. Unless weather is a factor, the first Sunday of each match will be 3-gun match day.

Each match will feature a minimum of 4 stages using our normal rules and USPSA type targets and the occasional clay pigeon.

Spread the word. We need more shooters!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Hell yes!
    I'm ready for the always great Poplarville 3gun stages

I'll be there, might have a new shooter with me also

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    Thanks to BJ for posting. I was out of town, and also have very limited net access when I got home.

As said, we plan to start back up on Sept. 7. Read the rules, as we will be enforcing them, and "I didn't know that" will not get you out of a penalty or worse. NO HIGH BRASS SHOTGUN AMMO ON OUR BIRDSHOT TARGETS. PERIOD. If we set up a birdshot target, low brass 6-8s will take it down if you have any choke in your shotgun. No choke? Well we can't help ya there, but don't tear up the targets using other ammo to compensate, PLEASE.

Distance on targets will range from point blank to 500 or so yds. You may have some slug targets, but prob. just a few. Possibly buck shot if Gerald wants to, so bring a few of those just in case. Bring a sling.

Bring ammo, water, some food, sunblock and a good attitude.

How many folks will commit to shooting the match on the first Sunday of the month?

Hope to see ya there.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Buzz,

Can you define "High Brass" in terms of shot weight, dram eq., velocity, etc.?

I plan to be there whenever I can.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Good point. "High Brass" has nothing to do with the load. Shot charge weight, dram equivalent/velocity would give better information.

Wish I could join you. Seems a lot of matches are on Sundays. Can't do Sundays.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    4.4. Shotgun ammo shall be standard birdshot #4 or smaller pellets and slugs only as specified by course description. No high brass shot, magnum loads, or steel shot ammo is allowed. Such ammo may not be used to neutralize shotgun targets. Buckshot MAY be required for some stages, but may only be used on those stages so designated. (our club rules have said no larger than 6s on steel since at least 1988, so I'm not sure where the #4 came from)

I guess it's just generally assumed, (yes I know what that makes) that most shooters know what is generally considered to be "low brass" and "high brass" loads, and I doubt very seriously that there is some definition somewhere that can define exactly what weight, velocity, or any other characteristic makes one high brass or low brass. (dram eq. are you kidding me? Talk about useless! That's a reference to the old black powder days) Maybe there is, I don't know. All I can tell you is that I'm tired of watching targets get damaged because the shooter didn't have a choke, and so, couldn't get enough birdshot on a 10 yd. plate to take it down, so he used duck loads or worse to take it down, and damaged a target in so doing. Just imagine that being shot at heavier plates like on the star. Talk about splatter coming back. If it gets shot at a birdshot target, and a "high brass" hull ejects from the gun, the shooter will be stopped.

We will also be magnetting rifle ammo before shooting at rifle targets. If it sticks to a magnet, it can't be shot at the riffle steel, so check before.

Not sure if that answers your question. Let me know if not. See ya soon.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Buzz,

Thanks for the response. What about implementing some sort of max power factor for shotgun (shot weight times the velocity)? You can set it according to what you feel is a safe level to use on the targets and it would give folks an easy calculation to know they are safe.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I can't go - gotta work .... And I ain't happy about it.

Y'all have fun.

I'll send my hi-brass shotty shells with Vsound.

What a surprise!! :rolleyes: I think you're afraid to shoot wimpy shotshells. (there is someone in the classifieds looking to sell some high brass 16 guage ammo, even says so on the box.:noes:)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Someone needs to dethrone the worm! Lol. Congrats Buzz
    It was another fun match, still a little warm, but glad were back from the summer break

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Many thanks to Buzz and BJ for hosting another fun match. I think someone forgot to adjust the A/C though. It was pretty darn hot and sweltering.

Top Bottom