Want to look into Gunsmithing classes & a Glock Armorer Certification

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svilardo_85

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    MANDEVILLE
    any one know of any gunsmithing schools/classes in or around the hammond area and how to get a glock armorers certification
    got alil experience i just recently build my first ar-15 and its works and i have installed several aftermarket parts on my glock and can completely take it apart frame and slide not tooting my horn here but just saying
    just thought bout online classes any good ones out there

Last edited:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Those online course will give you an idea about gunsmithing and are chocked full of outdated information and only cover maybe 1% of being a gunsmith sure you will get a certificate but no real experience your best bet would be to get on with a local gunshop that has a gunsmith on site and see if you cant learn from them as for glock armorers you will have to attend a glock certified course and a few other requirements search function is your friend

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    As far as videos, AGI's are the best I've seen, if you can stand to sit there and absorb it without having a gun to touch and learn from. I learned mostly hands-on though. i watched some of their videos later to see if I could pickup any tips, but remember thinking "Now how would a newbie truly understand that without manipulating it with his own hands?" They also play like they were all recorded in the 80's, not that it hurts the value of the info.

I'd hit youtube up and see what good tech videos you can find there. Skip the ones where guys just talk and have no props. (Not that they're all bad, that'll just flush the weak ones faster.) If they disabled the instant preview in the length slider, then they know it sucks also. lol

It's really difficult to find a place to apprentice (even working for free) and unfortunately there are less than 8 gunsmith schools in the US.

Hands-on really is the best way to learn. Even -no, Especially when you mess stuff up, you're still learning. Best thing is to not mess up customer guns. Always look for, and purchase cheap, project guns you are at least semi-confident you can repair. (Not Bubba's Mosin.) Start with the most common models, like 870's, 1100's, lever guns, SKS. Stay away from pistols and revolvers at first. Learn on those, and when repaired correctly, you can sell them for a profit. You can take as long as you need since they belong to you. You'll quickly figure out what tools you need, and if you plan on continuing this path you can start buying tools early-on, and as-needed.

Read and watch all the tech docs and videos on the Brownells website. That's a really good resource and free.

I took the Glock Armorer Course while attending CST. If you can already strip the entire frame, then you won't learn a thing in that course that isn't covered in the armorer's manual. The only reason to take it IMHO would be to list that cert on a resume, if that's worth the $ to you. All the info is available for free on the net. I think the cert expires in 3 years, but that's just to drum up repeat business.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom