Looking for a new deer rifle/long distance target shooting...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I've been shopping for a new deer rifle/long distance target shooting rifle. Already have a pretty good deer
    rifle but the long distance shooting is a new hobby and a great way to justify buying a new rifle, lol. I've been
    eyeballing the sako 85 finnlight in 7mm mag. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle
    or have any other recommendations?

Last edited:

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I know nothing about Sako. I do know however that Savage deserves a look. That accu-trigger is made with black magic and wizardry. Last weekend I was shooting quarter size groups with a model 10 in .308 with cheap monarch ammo.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    What are you calling long distance? For me it is anything over 200 yds, (I can't see well past that). 308 will be good for anything around here and probably any distance you are looking at in this area, also, what is your budget? Long range shooting eats money just like any specialty hobby (race cars ect...) and can demand high cost equipment.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    What are you calling long distance? For me it is anything over 200 yds, (I can't see well past that). 308 will be good for anything around here and probably any distance you are looking at in this area, also, what is your budget? Long range shooting eats money just like any specialty hobby (race cars ect...) and can demand high cost equipment.

Max distance 400yds. And that is on the extreme side. At our range we can go up to 800 yds but I'm not even considering anything over 400 for now. My budget for gun and optics is probably about $3k.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Ok, look at the top end optics (Interstate guns seems good) such as Meopta or the Leupold scopes in whatever you want for magnification. 4x12 should work for hunting and target. I am not a fan of the magnum rounds as they carry a magnum price, unless you reload; .308, 30-06 or 270 will all do the distance for target or hunting. The Sako is a capable rifle, but I feel that Savage would be another good choice as they offer target grade rifles out the box with a variety of options for barrel length/diameter and a good trigger. At your price point you can even start looking at a custom gun, talk to the long range shooters, maybe at the Donaldsonville range.

I would likely suggest a 30 mm scope tube for whatever you buy.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you still get a Remington 5r? I think it has the barrel of the military sniper rifles based on the Remington 700 action. Not sure about that though. I have had some people I know buy them and they were impressed. They also put Swarovski scopes on that cost about as much as the rifle, though.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    400yds isn't long range. It's not really even mid-range by formal classifications. I would stay away from the magnums for what you're wanting to do and look at some of the more efficient short action cartridges such as a .308win or .260rem. Both are more than capable for deer out to 400yds and good hunting/match ammo will be much cheaper. For a good balance between weight (for hunting) and stiffness (for range use) look at some of the Remingtons or Savages with varmint barrels. In your price range you can probably find a pretty nice custom with a low round count and still have $1k left over to put a decent mount, rings, and optic on it.

If it were me, on that budget, I would spend $2k on optics, $300 on mounts, $594 on the rifle, and $106 on a Rifle Basix trigger. Always put your money toward optics and the nut that controls it. The link is just for model and pricing ideas. I'm sure one of the local dealers here would be willing to price match.

[url]http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42070/Remington+700+SPS+Tactical+308win

[/URL]

Last edited:

216INF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Watson La.
    Remington 700 sps tactical 308 all day every day. Best one for dual purpose shooting. Works for EVERYTHING!!!!! Good luck finding one :(

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Remington 700 sps tactical 308 all day every day. Best one for dual purpose shooting. Works for EVERYTHING!!!!! Good luck finding one :(

I was going to post the exact same rifle, but you beat me to it. Ive got one with a Leup Mk4 and its a half moa gun out to 400. Its waaay more consistent than I am. And it retails less than 700$. There are just as many mods/upgrades as a Chevy 350 so your rifle can evolve as your wallet allows.

Top Bottom