Chicken Fried Steak

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Every once in a while I get craving for something I don't often eat. I really want a chicken fried steak with spicy white gravy. Any recommendations for a good one on the northshore?

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    its hard to find... I usually I have to make it myself.... Cracker Barrel isn't bad

Big Easy diner in slidell also has them... never had it myself but the place is pretty good.

Last edited:

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I always get mines from ihop. Its nothing worth bragging about, its like eating a huge chicken nugget from mcd.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    I enjoy the ones from Huddle House for breakfast on Saturday mornings. They're served with eggs and either hash browns or grits and a small bowl of white gravy on the side.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I don't know about the Northshore area but if you're ever in North Houston/Tomball area, there's a place called Goodson's on old hwy 249 that has one so big it laps the plate. Mamma Goodson knows what she's doing, that's for sure. First time we went there the wife and I each ordered one and with the leftovers, fed the whole family for lunch and dinner the next night.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    They are almost everywhere in Texas and I have never eaten one in Texas that was not good.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've had the country fried steak from Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse and from IHOP. None have a spicy gravy in my opinion. But both are very good. IHOP took it off the menu a while back, but when I went there two weekends ago, it was there. There's also Vasquez's in Old Covington that serves it. I remember having it and liking it, but it's probably been over a year since I've been there. I really like Vasquez for all of their food. Kind of reminds me of Come Back Inn in Metairie if you've ever been there. Family type atmosphere and the portions are decent along with their prices.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have eaten them in many places for more than 6 decades and I have never seen one with spicy gravy. Must be a new Louisiana how hot can I make this dish thing.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Twin Peaks has one with jalapenos in their white gravy and it's the size of a large plate. It's very good but just like nolaradio said it's not really spicy but it is very enjoyable and not just the chicken fried steak but also the view.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Twin Peaks has one with jalapenos in their white gravy and it's the size of a large plate. It's very good but just like nolaradio said it's not really spicy but it is very enjoyable and not just the chicken fried steak but also the view.

WHAT??? Twin Peaks serves food?

I love Chicken Fried Steak going to give ^^ a try...Thanks!

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown

But there's no Twin Peaks on the norhthsore.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    But there's no Twin Peaks on the norhthsore.

Well Now "Deep Pockets" there's your opportunity knockin .... lol

I'll be one of your founding customers at the ribbon cutting :}

s4uyyjhbhn0dt6k1689l.png
    ?

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Lived in Houston for a long time, never had a good chicken fried steak outside of Texas. Never seen it with "spicy gravy" either, just cracked black pepper in the gravy. Is this what you mean?

yeah, I guess lots of black pepper will do.

Abita Cafe used to make a great country gravy (for their extraordinary biscuits) with a chicken broth base. Out of this world!

Last edited:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Back in the stone age (1960's) I'd go with an adult friend of the family's to the gun shows in Slidell and Covington, put on by the Bayou Gun Club. Ocassionally we'd join up with a few of his friends for supper afterwards. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a small cabin styled resturant called Bosco's. It was my first taste of chicken fried steaks. I've been in love with 'em ever since. Anyone know if this place is still in business?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Cracker Barrel has pretty consistently good ones. And chillis is good although sometimes the batter is pretty thick in some places. The taters and corn rock.

The barrel is pretty standard fare. Good enough to fill the craving.

Franks in Prairieville has a good one too but that's a ways from you.

Top Bottom