Epoxy resin to secure safe to concrete slab? Advice needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi guys, in the next few weeks I'll be starting construction on my new house. I'll have 2 24 gun safes and I want to secure them to the concrete floor. We are doing scored and stained concrete so there is no issue with wood, tile, carpet, etc there. This will be a post tension slab, so it'll have cables under high stress running through the concrete. The drawings do have the cable locations, and I will be able to take pics and measurements as the concrete is poured over them. Even with all this data I'm still going to be leery of drilling into the slab with a Hilti drill for anchor bolts. Is anyone aware of any epoxy resins or like products to secure steel safes to a concrete slab?

Thanks for any help/experience.
    -Scott W.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm afraid that if you would use an epoxy of sorts, it would eventually harden and you would lose your bond. Out of curiosity, why the need to bond it down? The safe weighs 700-800 # empty. Afraid that someone is gonna steal the whole damn thing? My two aren't anchored. Hell, I can barely budge one of em by myself.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm afraid that if you would use an epoxy of sorts, it would eventually harden and you would lose your bond. Out of curiosity, why the need to bond it down? The safe weighs 700-800 # empty. Afraid that someone is gonna steal the whole damn thing? My two aren't anchored. Hell, I can barely budge one of em by myself.

I agree with this. My dad has 2-3 large safes, none of which are bolted down.

What's your reasoning to bolting them down? Do you not want to ever move them in the future?

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The safes Im buying weigh about 500# each. And after watching the following video I plan on always bolting them down. The safes will stay with the house as I plan on living in it for 30ish years.

The action starts about the 30 second mark.

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Although I have a raised house and have mine lagged down, it's also in a closet with shelving built in around it; all screwed together and overlapping the edges of the safe. It would take a little more work to get it out. I don't know anything about epoxy but there are products to do what your asking. They use them in construction.

Last edited:

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    It would be very difficult to set the safe in place if you use anchors that have thread sticking out of the slab.

Actually it's quite easy. You set the safe in place then drill through the safe into the floor and install a standard Hilti bolt.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    If you just wanted to bolt them together have a piece of plate steel cut to fit under both and bolt them to the plate.

pullstart

Lastof6
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Metairie, La
    Point taken regarding installing a threaded wedge anchors through the base of the safe, however I have not had great success with such anchors. Once you hammer them in place I have difficulties with the threads accepting the hardware. I have had others pull out once I have tightened on them, therefore I prefer to use inserts for this application. If I for some reason had to use a threaded anchor I would want to somehow verify its snug before setting the safe in place. I also would not want to have (4) threaded bolts sticking up in my safe. If you decide to ever move the safe, the threaded inserts will make moving the safe much easier.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    If you're willing to drill 2-3/8" to put an insert, why not just drill the same depth and use standard concrete anchors? I recently moved and did just this, my safe BARELY fit in the closet it's in, took a lot of friends to maneuver it in there. It's bolted to the slab, wall and I built close fitting shelves above it and on the side of it. If I move again, I'm just buying a new safe it was such a pain to get in there. Had to remove baseboards and shoe molding and even bust a little drywall to get it in.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    Since this is new construction you could have a combo storm room/gun vault built into the house. They sell safe doors that swing in that can be opened from the inside just for this. You want one that swings in so when the house is destroyed in a storm and pilled up in front of the door you can still open it up and get out.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    OPTION 1:
    Measure the bottom of the safe, then have the concrete pourers make indentations to recess the safe into the concrete about two inches... then fill the recesses about 1/4th of the way with concrete anchoring epoxy.

OPTION 2:
    Measure a sheet of 1" plywood (or steel) to cover the base of both safes.
    Measure your bolt holes in the bottom of the safes and mount bolts in the plywood where your safe will sit.
    Have the concrete pourers lay the sheet of plywood into the concrete before it's 100% dry.
    mount your safes on top of the plywood.

OPTION 3:
    Measure a sheet of 1" plywood (or steel) to cover the base of both safes.
    Measure your bolt holes in the bottom of the safes and mount bolts in the plywood where your safe will sit.
    Have the concrete pourers create a or 2" recess in the concrete where you will place the safe.
    Secure the plywood to the concrete floor with concrete anchoring epoxy.
    mount your safes on top of the plywood.

OPTION 4:
    Have them put long bolts and steel base plates in the floor BEFORE they pour the slab.

Are you really worried about someone carting off two 500lb safes?? They would more than likely pass on it and not even try.

Some other solutions...

1. Stop bragging to people how many weapons you've got and no one will know you have them!!
    2. Don't build a house in a neighborhood where you're expecting expert safe crackers ( What is this oceans eleven?) to defeat your security system (hopefully you're installing one) just to steal your weapons.
    3. Get better friends that you can trust!
    4. See someone about your trust issues and paranoia.

:rofl:

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    24 gun safes are not as heavy as you would think. A good refrigerator dolly can move one with ease. I would have the concrete guy set 8 plate anchors in the slab at the location of the safes. These are very common and cheap as concrete guys set them on the perimeter of most conventional slab houses to bolt down the walls. Use the dolly to set your safes onto the threaded portion of the anchor and your done.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    That video is terrible.

Who has a safe that is sitting in the middle of the floor, not up against a wall? Preferably in a corner.

Since you are building and the safe will be staying put, have it in a corner and build a third wall on the other side. Bolt it to all three walls.
    You can also build a shelf/ceiling on top (after the safe is in) so there is no way to get it out without tearing out the walls..

Or better yet, since you are building, build a safe room with a vault door.
    http://www.ftknox.com/vaults/vault-room-doors/
    http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-vault-doors-safes-ps-13.html
    http://www.rhinovault.com/
    http://www.pentagonsafes.com/storm-shelters.html

Top Bottom