Daughter wants to compete

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    My 15 yo girl informed me last night that she would like to shoot competitively.
    I need some advice. I have never really competed either. She doesn't know which discipline. Most of her experience is around handguns, both rimfire and centerfire. She seems to have problems handling long guns. It's mainly because of her size, she is small for her age.

I'm really leaning towards some sort of handgun sport. Mainly for the reason stated above and we already have an M&P 9 that will be hers anyway and it's easier to practice because we have a family membership at bps.

The question is, which sport should we try? Also, is there any training to give us a head start?

Sorry for the jumbled wording, I'm trying to type this between calls at work. : - /

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Check out http://www.uspsa.org/

http://www.lagator.org/

Matches are held on weekends. Nothing like just shooting a match to see for your self if you like it. It seems more like a fun day at the range with a group of people who enjoy to shoot. Other shooter will walk you through the stages and you can watch shooters run the stage before you decide to give it a try.

The best advice given to me the first time out is to focus on not getting a DQ. Lots of ages shoot. Please don't hesitate to give it a try!

What's Practical Shooting?

There are a number of different practical shooting sports, each with its own set of rules and method of scoring. Some fall under national or international organizing bodies such as USPSA (which is the U.S. arm of IPSC), IDPA, and ICORE. In all cases, practical shooting requires a combination of speed and accuracy - with each discipline placing its own emphasis on the balance between the two. In a match, competitors shoot several courses of fire (or stages) in which well-defined targets and barriers are set up within a specified area. Competitors are timed and scored for each stage and these two quantities are used to determine the relative performance of each shooter.

National and international organizations usually have a method of classifying or rating shooters based on their performance on specific stages (known in USPSA as classifiers). Classifications are used to both monitor the shooter's performance over time, as well as to group shooters of similar skill levels together for competition purposes - e.g. at a match, awards may be given to top shooters in each class. In addition to classification, competitors are also grouped into divisions according to the equipment used. The specific divisions and the equipment allowed in each may be different for each practical shooting discipline. Basic equipment, common to most practical shooting sports, are discussed below.

The above information is meant to give the new shooter a quick glimpse into practical shooting. The best way to really learn "what is practical shooting" is to watch or shoot one of the regular matches at a local club (see links above). There you will find many helpful, friendly shooters who are quite eager to "show you the ropes" and guide you through your first match. Come out and join the fun!

Equipment Needed

Equipment requirements vary depending upon the practical shooting discipline. In most cases there is a minimum caliber requirement (e.g. 9mm, .38 special) as well as division-specific requirements such as the type of sights (e.g. iron vs. electronic sights), the action (e.g. single vs. double action), the type of holster and ammunition placement, etc. In USPSA, there is a division for just about any safe combination of equipment provided it meets the minimum caliber requirements.

Basic equipment for most practical shooting disciplines includes:

pistol or revolver of suitable caliber

belt (e.g. CR Speed two-piece velcro belt)

suitable holster

4 - 6 magazines or moon clips

4 - 6 magazine pouches or moon clip holders

safety glasses

hearing protection (ear plugs or ear muffs)

Before purchasing even basic equipment, it would be beneficial to seek advice from experienced shooters at a local match. As mentioned above, there you will find many helpful, friendly shooters who are quite eager to offer advice and answer questions regarding equipment.

Safety

The primary concern in any practical shooting discipline is safety. For this reason, USPSA matches strictly adhere to a well-formulated body of rules (USPSA Rulebook) designed to ensure the safety of competitors and spectators, alike. For example, matches are conducted under conditions of what is called a "cold range" - meaning competitors are not allowed to handle their firearms or ammunition except (separately) in specified areas, and all firearms must remain unloaded except during a course of fire while under the supervision of a USPSA certified Range Officer (RO). Further, the RO is charged with the task of ensuring that the competitor closely follows all safety rules during the course of fire - if the RO observes a safety rule violation during the course, the competitor will be stopped and may be disqualified from completing the match.

These are but a few examples of the safety measures encompassed by USPSA rules. A complete understanding/appreciation would (at a minimum) require careful analysis of the entire USPSA rulebook. Suffice it to say for our purposes here, that USPSA shooting is firmly based in strict attention to safety and has enjoyed a remarkable safety record as a result

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well I don't think there can be much to add after all that. Just want to let you know we have 2 practice sessions at The Range in Baker, one on Monday & one on Wednesday night. On Monday night we start at 6pm and run until 9pm or we run out of ammo. We run stages or drills as we want Nd depends on how many folks are there. It gives a new shooter a chance to learn rules and procedures. Makes them comfortable with a firearm while shooting and moving. If you need more information send me a PM here with a phone number and I will contact you.

Beauxdog

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    A lot depends on the maturity of the child & to some degree the adult as well. We have some 10/11 year olds shoot with us. As long as they are safe and will follow instructions we let them shoot. There will always be a Range Officer with them and anyone else that shoots. That's the great thing about our practice nights, it gives us a chance to work with young ones and train them to be a safe shooter before they go to a match and get in trouble. We shoot an all steel match in Thibodaux that is a good match for a child. It can be shot with a .22 rimfire pistol and they won't need a holster just 5 mags. It builds confidence and teaches them safety. Look up "lagator.org" for dates and times. We encourage all juniors and their parents to shoot. As before if you need more information send me a PM with your phone number and I'll get back with you.

Beauxdog

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    What is your location. Chances are there are local shooter (lady shooters probably) that are in your area that would be willing to spend some time at the range reviewing the basic safety rules for competition and working on some basic skills.

A visit to one of the local matches might be a good first step in seeing what it's all about and meeting some really nice people.
    Most Steel Matches are all shot from a single standing position, and shooters of all ages and abilities compete.
    I always suggest this as a good entry level experience.

If you are in my area, I would be willing to provide some assistance.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    We live in Walker.

What is the name of the range in Baker? We'll try to make it there next week. Do we have to show up at six or would seven be okay? Six is tough during the week.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Delmar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It's called "The Range" and it's on Jefferson St. in Baker. We try to start at 6 but if you can't get there until later so be it. Sometimes I have to work late also. Oh, wait I'm retired, never mind. What was I thinking. Really it doesn't matter. It cost $11 per person to shoot. We can stay until 9 pm but if there are just a few of us and we shoot all our ammo up we stop, clean up & go home.

Beauxdog

dustinflint

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We have lots of rimfire silhouette competitions locally, both pistol and rifle - and great shooters to help her learn. Young shooters, especially young ladies, seem to become great silhouette shooters. The current rimfire rifle silhouette national champion is a 21 year old young lady from Texas who has been shooting since she was 13. PM me if you want more info.

Dustin

Last edited:
    Top Bottom