How to deprime crimped brass?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Team-
    Any suggestions on a setup to deprime crimped 223 brass?

Anyone selling/thinking about selling their setup?

Dirty

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Dillon Super Swage, the only way to go. We have them in stock at Louisiana Gun. Come by at 12728 Jefferson Hwy. to get one.

Thanks,

Bryan

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Dillon Super Swage, the only way to go. We have them in stock at Louisiana Gun. Come by at 12728 Jefferson Hwy. to get one.

Thanks,

Bryan
    That'll do the job to get rid of the crimp once deprimed. I've had zero problems running brass of all sorts through my LEE universal decapper. As long as you don't go crazy tightening the collet nut you should never break the decapping pin even if you run into a really tightly crimped primer. If it helps any, if I know I'm working with crimped brass I've had good results with a tapping type action on the press handle as opposed to trying to muscle them out.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Depriming shouldn't be a problem. Installing a new primer in a case without removing the crimp will be a problem. The only 2 good ways to remove the crimp is the cut it out or swage it out. Cutting will work just as the swage process. Just nobody has a simple cutter to do the job. It usually involves making do with another tool. If you hav a lot of brass to do swaging is the easiest of the bunch. The Dillon unit while not very cheap is well worth the investment. It will last forever and it just works.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun
    12728 Jefferson Hwy.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have a Lyman case Preperation center. It has 5 powered stations, one of which is a crimp reamer. I just finished reaming 200 , 5.56 cases and over 100 7.62 cases. Does a pretty good job and not too hard.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I use this on a variable speed drill, I don't recommend this however, Its OSHA's nightmare.

Attachments

• Lymans 002 (1024x768).jpg
      Lymans 002 (1024x768).jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 61

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009

Thanks,

Bryan

10.4, Thanks Bryan.

Been meaning to ask-is that you walking down Antietam when you're out walking?

Dirty

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Get the dillon swager and look up dillon super swager automatic. Did that trick and it goes fast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    If you plan to do more than a few cases you may find some spare decapping pins helpful. You will likely find a rock or a Berdan case or an off center primer hole and bend a pin.
    Bryan could help you with that also.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    How to deprime crimped brass....I use a Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die and a single stage press, go slow and they will ease out. I use this on all crimped cases , rifle and handgun , just so I won't have to adjust my regular dies to deprime without sizing. Neat die to have around but not absolutely necessary. Just be gentle and go slow. And have some extra pins on hand, just in case!
    Gary

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Your sizing die should deprime as well as any other depriming die. I deprime all my cases before cleaning, using a Lee Universal Depriming Die, and still have the same pin after 10 years.
    To remove the primer crimp after depriming, you can:
    1) use a pocket knife to remove it
    2) use the case mouth chamfering tool
    3) buy a swaging tool (see RCBS)
    4) buy the expensive Dillon swagger (if you have a LOT of cases and a continual need to swage primer pockets)
    5) buy a Dillon 1050 and have the press do it all for you so you don't waste time swaging cases

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Dillon Super Swage, the only way to go.
    This.

Got one. Have done thousands of .223 and .308 brass. Unit will outlive me. Use to chuck up a chamfer tool and cut out the crimp. One it's slow but more importantly it's not consistent.
    We have them in stock at Louisiana Gun. Come by at 12728 Jefferson Hwy. to get one.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Spend your money here.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I got the Dillon Super Swager from Bryan.

Thanks for the info, Team!

Dirty

Top Bottom