Confused about geting a LA CHP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ok I keep reading through the treads about getting a LA CHP. Myself and a friend of mine here are looking into getting ours when we get back to FT. Polk from over here in the Stan. We both are still Active Duty .Mil and from what I keep seeing is that we would not have to take the CHP classes but we need to get a copy of our weapons qualifications and send that in with out finger prints and the application correct? Also can we go the LSP station in Leesville to get the finger prints done or do we need to go to a PD or SO to get them done? Do we also need to get some passport photo's taken to send in as well? I see the cost for us would be $125.00 each and would we send a USPS MO in with the applications and stuff at the same time. If one of you can really answer this please do as I am getting bits and pieces of what I am looking for by reading through everything but can't really find the right answers I am looking for or I might just be over looking the information all together.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok I keep reading through the treads about getting a LA CHP. Myself and a friend of mine here are looking into getting ours when we get back to FT. Polk from over here in the Stan. We both are still Active Duty .Mil and from what I keep seeing is that we would not have to take the CHP classes but we need to get a copy of our weapons qualifications and send that in with out finger prints and the application correct? Also can we go the LSP station in Leesville to get the finger prints done or do we need to go to a PD or SO to get them done? Do we also need to get some passport photo's taken to send in as well? I see the cost for us would be $125.00 each and would we send a USPS MO in with the applications and stuff at the same time. If one of you can really answer this please do as I am getting bits and pieces of what I am looking for by reading through everything but can't really find the right answers I am looking for or I might just be over looking the information all together.

Contact the State Police and ask them. Unless someone here has gone the same route or knows every aspect of the requirements, you're going to get what everyone "thinks" you need.

Read up...
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    ok i keep reading through the treads about getting a la chp. Myself and a friend of mine here are looking into getting ours when we get back to ft. Polk from over here in the stan. We both are still active duty .mil and from what i keep seeing is that we would not have to take the chp classes but we need to get a copy of our weapons qualifications and send that in with our finger prints and the application correct? Correct.

Also can we go the lsp station in leesville to get the finger prints done or do we need to go to a pd or so to get them done? Either, two sets of prints required.

Do we also need to get some passport photo's taken to send in as well? No, only copy of dl or la. Id.

I see the cost for us would be $125.00 each and would we send a usps mo in with the applications and stuff at the same time. Correct.

If one of you can really answer this please do as i am getting bits and pieces of what i am looking for by reading through everything but can't really find the right answers i am looking for or i might just be over looking the information all together.

Thanks for serving!

Last edited:

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    JBP55

Thanks. I forgot to ask about the driver license part, does it have to be a LA drivers licenses or can I send it a copy of my GA driver licenses or do we need to get a LA ID for this?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Many of us Veterans have benefited from not having to take the classes.

The process has changed some recently with the Online Applications and
    the drop in needing a Passport Photo since they now just use your DL.
    I have no experience with the Online Application
    but if scanning instead of mailing the forms is all that it is,
    sounds easy!

The PDF now comes with a checklist of what you need to do.
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chApplication.pdf

For Veterans, it's simple and fast.
    -Fill out the Application and the 3 Affidavits
    -Get your 3 Affidavits notarized
    -Copy of your drivers license
    -Copy of you Military ID (since you're still Active)
    -Copy of your DD214 to show your your Small Arms Training in Section 18
    -Two Sets of Finger Prints(Electronic)
    Can be done at the Sheriff's Jail upstairs next to Leesville Courthouse. (By the Train Tracks)

All of this & the Correct Fee is mailed to;
    Concealed Handgun Permit
    Unit, P.O. Box 66375,
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Unless your going to Apply Online.
    https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    JBP55

Thanks. I forgot to ask about the driver license part, does it have to be a LA drivers licenses or can I send it a copy of my GA driver licenses or do we need to get a LA ID for this?

A LA. DL is not required but a LA ID card is required.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    A LA. DL is not required but a LA ID card is required.

To which his Military Orders stating he is Stationed at Fort Polk would suffice correct?

I was thinking he'll likely have to send in a copy of Military Orders as well
    since he's not a Resident.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Many of us Veterans have benefited from not having to take the classes.

The process has changed some recently with the Online Applications and
    the drop in needing a Passport Photo since they now just use your DL.
    I have no experience with the Online Application
    but if scanning instead of mailing the forms is all that it is,
    sounds easy!

The PDF now comes with a checklist of what you need to do.
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chApplication.pdf

For Veterans, it's simple and fast.
    -Fill out the Application and the 3 Affidavits
    -Get your 3 Affidavits notarized
    -Copy of your drivers license Since we are Active Duty .MIL I take it we still need a a LA ID since our licenses are from out of state
    -Copy of you Military ID (since you're still Active)
    -Copy of your DD214 to show your your Small Arms Training in Section 18Since we are still Active Duty we do not have this. I take it the .MIL ID will do then
    -Two Sets of Finger Prints(Electronic)
    Can be done at the Sheriff's Jail upstairs next to Leesville Courthouse. (By the Train Tracks)

All of this & the Correct Fee is mailed to;
    Concealed Handgun Permit
    Unit, P.O. Box 66375,
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Unless your going to Apply Online.
    https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/

Thanks I just have two questions that I noted in red by what you posted. Like JBP55 posted we still need to get the LA ID.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Yeah when I had my TX permit they just used my GA licenses and .mil ID, KY did the same thing and of course me being from GA I always keep my permit from there. I still have my KY and GA permit which are still good but I know I need to get one for LA as well.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Since your active .mil to get your things notatized just walk into the JAG office they will notarize for free.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Also, just a note guys, if you are active duty, your fee for the permit is reduced now.

The passage of Act 614 of the 2014 Regular Legislative Session provides for reduced fees for active duty members, reserve members, and veterans of the armed forces of the United States. This Act enables an active duty member, reserve member, or veteran of the armed forces of the United States to pay one half of the regular fee provided for in LAC 55:I:1307(B)(15). Act 614 applies to the five-year and lifetime permits. (Effective July 4, 2014)

Fees
    Five Year Permit (Original and Renewals):
    Ages 21 - 64: $125
    65 or Older: $62.50

Lifetime Permit:
    Ages 21 - 64: $500
    65 or Older $250

NOTE: If you have not continuously resided within the State of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately preceding the date on which your application is received, an additional $50 non-refundable fee shall be submitted. This is only for first-time applicants and is not required for any subsequent renewals.

Military Discount
    If you have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, you must include a copy of your DD-214. If you are currently in the military and wish to use the military discount, you must include a copy of your most recent orders.

Five Year Permit: $62.50
    Lifetime Permit: $250

Here is the link to LSP CHP website http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#contact

WEL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    If you submit an online application you do not need the notarized affidavits. If you go the online route and do the electronic finger prints it greatly speeds up the process. You have to submit the fingerprints within 15 days if filing the online application. My wife got her permit in less than 2 weeks.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Contact the State Police and ask them. Unless someone here has gone the same route or knows every aspect of the requirements, you're going to get what everyone "thinks" you need.

Read up...
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html
    This!

I'm pretty familiar with the process (on paper), but haven't gone and done it yet.

Because there is so much confusion, and some (all that I've talked to personally)instructors will flat out LIE to you to get more money, the absolute best thing you can do is go the the nearest LSP and talk in person.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom