Not all Aguila is created equal. (I screwed up)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    A friend called me yesterday from Academy telling me they had some Aguilla .22lr in stock @ $4.49 for a box of 50, so of course, I drove there immediately.
    Limit 4 boxes per customer, so I went through the checkout 3 times and drove home happy with 12 boxes ready to play.
    Imagine my disappointment when I pulled the trigger and heard a weak pop (no bang) and my action didn't cycle.
    I thought, it's mexican ammo, I guess a few squibs are to be expected, but after 8 duds in a row I knew something was wrong.
    I could see the bullets leaving the barrel and they all fell about 30 feet in front of me, and I knew something wasn't right.
    So I took a closer look at the small print on the label and I finally noticed it says "Without Gunpowder!". :eek3: :wtc:

What the hell kind of ammo comes without gun powder?!?

So consider yourselves warned if you are as ignorant as I was of the existence of such useless "ammo", and don't make the mistake I did.

And if anyone can explain to me why such a thing as 20 grain powderless .22lr exists, I would greatly appreciate it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Did you but colibri? I think it doesn't have powder to be super quiet. I bought a box of their sniper subsonic.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Yeah, it's colibri, but I don't think that is what these are for. I wouldn't shoot them through a suppressor, I would worry they would get stuck. Subsonic is one thing, but these only shoot about 50 fps.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Maybe my rifle just doesn't like them, they only traveled about 30 feet from the end of the barrel before they hit the ground. Out of my 10/22 these things have a velocity and trajectory similar to a red rider bb gun. I can only see these being used to train 9 year-olds on proper fundamentals. I'm making a classified add if anyone wants them.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    They offer Colibri and Super Colibri.
    Super Colibri is over 500fps.
    Colibri is like 370fps.
    They offer quite a few .22lr loads, helps to research before buying because velocity isn't on the boxes.
    Velocities for all ammo is on their website.
    My wife and kid love shooting that stuff.
    No real use other than keeping them two entertained.

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    SMR, what kind of gun do you run them in?

As far as research, yeah, definitely should have. I wanted to get some before they disappeared.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Hand feed one at a time thru Marlin model 60 or manually run slide thru Ruger SR22.
    Wife and young son plink paper and other random hard targets.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a non-auto .22. Anyway, I'm not really interested in finding a use for them, they are not what I want to be shooting.
    No bang + no flash + no gunpowder smell = no satisfaction. Mostly, I was hoping my misfortune might give you guys a laugh and that I could help someone else avoid making the same mistake I did.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Most websites that sell these "powderless" rounds clearly state "Not for Semi-Automatic" because they are not powerful enough to cycle the slide and re-chamber a round. These .22lr rounds have always been available, even during the "shortage" because they work in wheel guns.

Don't get me wrong, they will work in your semi-auto... you just need to cycle the slide yourself. If you have a son, buy a small .22lr rifle and use them to let him shoot. Otherwise, they're useless... even weaker than some pellet and BB guns (600fps+).

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    they had some Aguilla .22lr in stock @ $4.49 for a box of 50,
    so of course, I drove there immediately.

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun

LMAO. Man, I didn't know what it was before I bought it, all I heard that registered was "22 on the shelf" and I was in the car. My 10/22 has been so neglected this year. A few months ago, a local hardware store had super colibri on the counter for almost twice what I paid for these and I passed on it because of the price. I was under the misguided impression that it was some kind of high-end target/competition ammo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom