Need a recommenation for skinning knife....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    My brother-in-law wants a decent skinning knife and asked me to try to find one for him (he's not a computer user).

He didn't really have many hard & fast specs to offer other than "It needs to have good steel that keeps an edge, a blade not more than 4-4.5" and handmade would be neat."

I tried to draw out a blade shape to see what kind he liked, looks like a basic skinner shape will suffice, no gut hook, etc. And he has a small hand like mine, so huge, thick scales are out.

Any suggestions or LA places to start?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I am actually a bit ashamed to admit it since I have a couple of very nice high dollar skinning knives, but the one I actually use most often is http://www.knifecenter.com/item/OEF...-Folding-Knife-3-12-inch-Blade-Kraton-Handles

Granted, most skinning I do is hogs and the sand and grit will take a regular edge down really quickly but It does a great job. Plus I don't panic if it gets "misplaced" around the hunting camp or left on the bumper when I leave. The zipper works as advertised and much better than a gut hook with less chance of a puncture mess. Regardless of what you end up getting as a fine knife, one of these might be appreciated as a "utility extra".

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Morakniv (Mora Knife) makes great inexpensive knives in a variety of configurations and work really well, they are comfortable. They can be bought on Amazon. Very comfortable and well made irregardless of the low cost. Note that some models will have a .125 inch thick blade which is more meant for bushcrafting activites, but there are similar models with a thinner blade more suited to skinning: http://www.moraofsweden.se/products/adventure

If you want a reasonably priced custom, James Terrio makes some great knives. The medium bushcrafter is about perfect as a skinning knife. You can contact him with whatever you are interested in: http://www.terrioknives.com/

You can also check out bladeforums, they have a good knifemakers for sale section.... lots of customs in a variety of prices and styles.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    +1 on the Havalon. Scary sharp.
    B

If you like too or are good at sharpening gus mccrae has some good suggestions. Budget is the only limiting factor. (the mora knives are a great value)

Do not like to sharpen or cannot get it right (me) 3fifty7 has the ticket.

Lastly; buy several high end knives and keep them in rotation of being sent to mfg for free sharpening. (my personal favorite; an excuse for having lots of nice knives)

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Bowie Outfitters perkins road in Baton Rouge
    look at ARNO Bernard Knives
    Also Benchmade in D2 steel.
    I have both and can skin 6-8 deer with out sharpening again.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    If you are looking for a custom blade, I HIGHLY recommend Ron Goulas from Breaux bridge. Ive used his knives on ELK, Deer, Hogs and have never used a better knife. here is some of the ones I own.

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    A GSO 4.1 in stainless CPM20CV by survive knives. Great knife and will keep an edge longer than almost any other steel out there. Has removable micarta scales.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Gotta say, those are some good looking blades you guys have recommended! I've passed along the info to the brother-in-law.

It's getting close enough to Christmas my 21st wedding anniversary, may have to put a bug in the hubby's ear! :D

bayouboy81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Zachary
    Havalon knife with replacement blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    All great recommendations. I'd only add, find out if he will spend the time sharpening the knife. If he won't then get one with a replaceable blade like the Havalon or consider a knife sharpening tool like the "Ken Onion Work Sharp."

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Last deer we did, my friend had a new Buck Paklite Caper and Gut Hook, worked great, very sharp, made in USA and priced well. Time will tell if they hold their edges, but so far they were impressive.

Top Bottom