Panera asks diners to leave guns at home

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Panera Bread is asking customers not to bring guns into its restaurants. The request places it on a growing list of companies asking guests to refrain from toting firearms into their locations amid an ongoing nationwide debate about gun policy.

"The request is simply we recognize everyone's rights," said Panera CEO Ron Shaich during a phone interview Monday. "But we also recognize that we are building communities in our cafes and are where people come to catch a breath."

"We're simply respectfully requesting that people leave their guns at home," he added. "It's that simple."

The move nods to why people choose to dine at Panera -- essentially to catch a breath and mellow out, Shaich said. To date, the chain hasn't had any material issues with firearms at its stores, he added.

While the request is new, Panera plans to continue to follow state and local laws regarding firearm policy. The chain also won't ask employees to enforce the new request or place signs about it in its restaurants.

"We're certainly not going to put our associates in the position of confronting someone carrying a gun," he said. "We won't put our café management in the position of being law enforcement."

Following the decision, one gun policy reform group cheered the decision.

"We are thrilled that after months of discussions between Panera and Moms Demand Action, Panera is taking a proactive position in favor of our families' safety by putting a new gun policy in place. Moms are the consumers-in-chief of our households and we will reward companies that take a stand for our families' safety. We urge other national companies follow suit," said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, in an email.

Panera's move follows similar announcements from several other chains. Last year, Starbucks (SBUX -0.36%) began asking diners to refrain from bringing guns in restaurants while Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG +0.06%) said the same earlier this year after gun-rights advocates brought assault-style rifles into one of its locations.

Sonic (SONC +1.11%) and Brinker International's (EAT +0.98%) Chili's have also issued requests about gun carrying at their stores.

"I think this industry has attempted to figure out how it stands out of 'make a point' political battles by advocates on either extreme," Shaich said. "I think what we feel is we're trying to be respectful of people's rights while at the same time ensuring that Panera isn't the battleground for political statement."

When asked about potential alienation due to the request, Shaich said the chain's customer base hold a wide spectrum of opinions.

"I think at its core people get the request to make this an everyday oasis and not make this a battleground for political opinion," he added.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I love these company's rational... Maybe if we put a sign up, the criminals (breaking the law in the first place) will leave their guns at home instead of bringing them in to rob us.

Or maybe...

Please everyone leave your guns at home because if we get robbed we don't want anyone fighting back... we would rather you and your family die.

The same thing with "Gun Free Zones"... or "Body Armour Free Zones". Also just as idiotic as "Hey, lets cause those who obey the law and go through the proper channels to go through MORE red tape to obtain a firearm."

Nothing like telling the criminals WHERE to rob. Great job! At least THEY'LL feel safe.

Just idiotic. I've nver been in a Panera Bread location... never will.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I love these company's rational... Maybe if we put a sign up, the criminals (breaking the law in the first place) will leave their guns at home instead of bringing them in to rob us.

Or maybe...

Please everyone leave your guns at home because if we get robbed we don't want anyone fighting back... we would rather you and your family die.

The same thing with "Gun Free Zones"... or "Body Armour Free Zones". Also just as idiotic as "Hey, lets cause those who obey the law and go through the proper channels to go through MORE red tape to obtain a firearm."

Nothing like telling the criminals WHERE to rob. Great job! At least THEY'LL feel safe.

Just idiotic. I've nver been in a Panera Bread location... never will.

It's just a cop out so they can have their cake and eat it too. They don't want to be in the debate, they just want to sell sandwiches and this is a way for them to bow out. They aren't preventing anyone from bringing a gun to their stores and they know this. Otherwise, the anti-gun and pro-gun groups will make so much of a fuss, it will affect sales.

I don't really have a problem with how they handled this.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    It's just a cop out so they can have their cake and eat it too. They don't want to be in the debate, they just want to sell sandwiches and this is a way for them to bow out. They aren't preventing anyone from bringing a gun to their stores and they know this. Otherwise, the anti-gun and pro-gun groups will make so much of a fuss, it will affect sales.

I don't really have a problem with how they handled this.

Bingo! We have a winner!

100% agree!! They just want to sell smitches. Although I think it better as a business to not comment about it at all.

Kinda hard to be pissed at someone if you don't know where they stand.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Bingo! We have a winner!

100% agree!! They just want to sell smitches. Although I think it better as a business to not comment about it at all.

I imagine that Moms Demand Action.... or whoever just pesters them until they say something like "Please don't bring guns to our store" just to get them to shut up and let them get back to selling samiches.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Seems like we need to start some petitions of our own. Same principle, we want a safe and secure shopping experience!

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Seems to me like they're trying to appease these anti-gun ****s while not actually doing anything. Then again, they imply that you can't "catch a breath" of guns are in the room, like gun owners are in constant gunfights.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Panera sucks out loud in any case! With all the good restaurants in Louisiana, there is no reason to eat some mediocre crap at a stupid national chain that is more expensive than fast food.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i been wondering about the amc theater at the mall of louisiana. i think when i went watch superman they had a no firearms sign on the front door(s). when i went back to watch godzilla the sign was gone. did some of you have a talk with them. lol.

im only guessing the time frame from superman and godzilla.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    One more business that put out a meaningless statement to get MDA to STFU.

The hell does this mean, though? Sexist, much?

Moms are the consumers-in-chief of our households and we will reward companies that take a stand for our families' safety. We urge other national companies follow suit," said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, in an email.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom