Will citrus fruits attract hogs ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I am wondering if I can add citrus fruit to the bail pile for hogs. I can get a ton of this stuff for free but don't know if I am just wasting my time. I have already gotten a bunch of pears that I chopped up and let ferment that seam to work good.

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    I have tryed fruits too with mild results a long time ago. Now what I use seems to bring a ton of hogs from miles. I have a 25gal plastic drum with a metal lid I fill it a little over half with corn and half with water I put any leftover scraps from the house. I also use any outdated foods or drinks. A loaf of bread and 2 cups of sugar with a 12pk of cheap beer to try and fill it as much as possible top the rest of the way with water. Let it soak in the sun for a few days then stir let soak in the sun as long as possible. I do this year round and it gets so rank sometimes wife and neighbors complain but it works . If the corn turns black it don't matter it sometimes gets maggots as big as my finger in it but its still tasty. Take my word for it you don't want to get any of it on you I had to throw a very good pair of boots out. Also wear rubber dish gloves when serving, it takes days to get off your skin. It works so good when it put it down they will root a hole in the dirt where it was. I also throw the juice as high in the trees as I can. A lot of the guys tell me they can smell it when in there stands 3 and 4 hundred yards out. Now several of the other guys at the club trying to do this as well.

sent from a pay phone in a empty warehouse somewhere in Mexico

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    I used to buy molasses by the gallon at old time farm supply. I would Pour it on an old log or stump, they will eat the whole stump, tree , dirt or whatever it spills on...

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Yea that's basically what I did. Put corn in an ad ice chest and put water, old beer, red and grape soda, jello powder, sweet feed, and pears and let it sit in the sun for 2 weeks. I used a shovel to put in 5 gallon buckets and carried it out to the feeders.
    I mix 1:3 ratio of sweet feed to corn to put in the feeders and they will come hunt it down. I was just wondering if citrus fruit had any draw value as I can fill the back of my pickup with free fruit.

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    I would use the citrus fruits with something else to entice them a little more. I have seen where they have rooted near a tangerine tree and not go towards it even with a few on the ground. Now they may have passed on it or could have been spooked im not sure im just going by some signs of them there that were a few days old that I found. If it were me I would put a few of which ever citrus out near the good stuff or semi good stuff and sit and see for myself or check my cams to see which they wanted first

sent from a pay phone in a empty warehouse somewhere in Mexico

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom