Legal question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I'm new here but I had a question that's proving on the difficult side to clarify with google-fu, and you guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I'll give it a shot here.

I want to buy a firearm online and already put in my bid. I don't have a debit/credit card(i only have a savings account/ATM card which won't work over the internet, I'm not completely poor, I'm just picky about the fees they charge for those things), so I was planning to borrow a family member's credit card to use, then just give them my own cash so they can just pay off what I charge to it instantly.

The problem with that is I'm now reading that it's illegal to buy a gun for someone else. Although someone else isn't actually buying me the gun and I was planning to get the background check done on myself, I'm worried the law might think I'm buying the gun for the person who owns the card or something. I read that they're getting really picky with this crap lately.

This would be the first time I've bought a gun from a dealer and having to go through filling out the forms/background check(so I'm not 110% familiar with the process), so any advice would be appreciated on which way to fill that out in regards to this, as well as possibly needing to change method of payment.

Thank you in advance.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Go to Walmart and get a Bluebird credit/debit card for $5.00 Use it when you buy something like that. You can add money to the card at Walmart that's what I want to do when I buy something online. I only put enough on the card to cover what I'm buying.

https://www.bluebird.com/

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    You can also get a certified check from most grocery stores. Depending on the price of the gun you may need 2 as they are written in increments of $1000 or less. If they are asking you for a credit card and not asking you for an FFL to do the transfer that sounds suspicious. I'd be a bit reluctant to make a firearms purchase from an individual over the internet. If you have your mind set, find an FFL near the seller and ask him to deliver the gun. Have the FFL handle the transfer to an FFL in your area. That would at least limit your exposure to ne're-du-wells.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Anyone can pay for the gun. All that matters is who fills out the paper work with the FFL on your end. I have no credit cards either but my ATM/debit card works online.

Last edited:

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    actually, wouldn't matter who filled out the paperwork at all in Louisiana. As long as you aren't a felon who gets caught with the firearm. No bill of sale nor serial # required to sell firearms that are non NFA marked. Anyone can pay for the gun. Just remember when you fill out the FFL paperwork that the address you mark on the form matches your LADL

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Don't think it'll help you this time, but I can use my credit union's debit card online or at pretty much any store. No fees, and it's secure.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I'm new here but I had a question that's proving on the difficult side to clarify with google-fu, and you guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I'll give it a shot here.

I want to buy a firearm online and already put in my bid. I don't have a debit/credit card(i only have a savings account/ATM card which won't work over the internet, I'm not completely poor, I'm just picky about the fees they charge for those things), so I was planning to borrow a family member's credit card to use, then just give them my own cash so they can just pay off what I charge to it instantly.

The problem with that is I'm now reading that it's illegal to buy a gun for someone else. Although someone else isn't actually buying me the gun and I was planning to get the background check done on myself, I'm worried the law might think I'm buying the gun for the person who owns the card or something. I read that they're getting really picky with this crap lately.

This would be the first time I've bought a gun from a dealer and having to go through filling out the forms/background check(so I'm not 110% familiar with the process), so any advice would be appreciated on which way to fill that out in regards to this, as well as possibly needing to change method of payment.

Thank you in advance.

Since you are new here, this is the BEST advice you will get as a forum member. You ready?

DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM A FORUM!!!!

Contact one of the AFT field offices.

http://www.atf.gov/files/field/neworleans/fo-louisiana.html

They will be able to answer your question.

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Go to Walmart and get a Bluebird credit/debit card for $5.00 Use it when you buy something like that. You can add money to the card at Walmart that's what I want to do when I buy something online. I only put enough on the card to cover what I'm buying.

https://www.bluebird.com/

Thanks for the advice. Never thought I would need something like this before but it can come in handy. I'll remember this post.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Excellent advice guys, thanks a ton. I went ahead and did something similar to what Charlie said. A USPS money order would have been a last resort kind of thing because that would have taken a while to get there. I picked up a Bluebird card but the little temporary card you get at Walmart is no good for something like this because the limit of money you can fill it with is too low. It should be great for future stuff though because it doesn't have fees that'll be a hassle. The one I got has fees so I'll just cancel it pretty soon, it was a much bigger hassle to get than the Bluebird card though...basically the same as setting up a bank account in a bank. It's called a Liquid card and offered by Chase Bank, if that helps anyone that reads this in the future.

Again thank you all for the input.

...and yes I don't take internet people's advice as the final word, but they can have some good ideas that'll work like it did this time. :)

bfromla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Since you are new here, this is the BEST advice you will get as a forum member. You ready?

DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM A FORUM!!!!

Contact one of the AFT field offices.

http://www.atf.gov/files/field/neworleans/fo-louisiana.html

They will be able to answer your question.

Best alternative , suggestion, money order, u get receipt it goes to FFL,who handles transfer for fee, u get end result, gun-broker has rules for both sides, none say u have to use card! It helps for future purchase but once committed dont bail , contact seller and ask payment options, usps money order works for responsible ppl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom