Proper way to clean nickel plated handguns?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    About to purchase my first nickel plated firearm. Bersa Thunder 380.

I don't want to screw up the nice finish so I was wondering if there are certain things I should do or products to stay away from. Thanks for any info as I have no clue.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'm not a gunsmith, but mine I do not scrub with metal bristles. Nylon only for me. I konw know if copper bristles will hurt it or not, but I won't test it on my gun.

Other than that, I use CLP, and Hoppe's #9 as needed.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I use Mothers Wheel Polish on the slide, frame, barrel, etc.

001r_zpsdd63093a.jpg

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I use Break-free clp on all of my pistols. Blue, nickel and stainless. I have read not to use a cleaning compound that dissolves copper fouling, because of the use of copper plate under the nickel. This may be internet rumor, but I have seen it more than once. Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Older nickel finishes were put on with a electrolytic process. Copper was laid down on the bare steel before the nickel. If you had a break in the nickel finish and used an aggressive copper dissolver cleaning solution it would get under the nickel and start to dissolve the copper. This would cause the nickel to come off. Newer nickel finishes are generally not electrolytic in nature and don't have that copper layer between the steel and the nickel. I'm not familiar with what type of finish is on your handgun in particular.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Older nickel finishes were put on with a electrolytic process. Copper was laid down on the bare steel before the nickel. If you had a break in the nickel finish and used an aggressive copper dissolver cleaning solution it would get under the nickel and start to dissolve the copper. This would cause the nickel to come off. Newer nickel finishes are generally not electrolytic in nature and don't have that copper layer between the steel and the nickel. I'm not familiar with what type of finish is on your handgun in particular.

Dave

Finishes: Satin Nickel
    Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Unless they've got a new process I'm not familiar with I believe that you cannot put nickel on an alloy metal. I suspect the frame would not have a true nickel finish.

Dave

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Unless they've got a new process I'm not familiar with I believe that you cannot put nickel on an alloy metal. I suspect the frame would not have a true nickel finish.

Dave

What does that mean in regards to cleaning?

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Have nickel CZ 75B, Bersa, revolvers, etc. Here's my method:

Old flitz and scrubbing the cylinder face with a white pad scrubber. Then I wipe it down and then some carnuba wax. I make sure surface is clean before wax. For getting front of cylinders on stainless or nickle guns require Flitz/Mothers. Avoid all abrasives (including dirty cloths, which contain grit), all copper removers, and all penetratives (like Kroil) and anything with Ammonia. If you don't want to wax, then CLP or Rem oil will work.

Nickel plating will discolor some with use. Nickel is corrosion resistant but not corrosion proof and is chemically reactive with the salt present on your hands.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What does that mean in regards to cleaning?

I don't have any specific Bersa information. I'm speaking in broad terms for cleaning various types of nickel.

I'll summarize. Electrolytic nickel don't use solvents with aggressive copper dissolving actions. Non electrolytically applied nickel finishes use what you want. Finishing that look like nickel but are something else, don't know. Try a Bersa specific form forum for Bersa specific information.

I'm just not willing to research a handgun that I'll never own.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom