Address on drivers license has to current at Cabela's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    So, I'm in Cabelas earlier this morning and about to pull the trigger on a used firearm from the "gallery" section. We get as far as filling out the used firearms sales slip and once I tell the guy my address on my DL isn't current, he gets all shitty and says he can't sell me anything (as he's all but slamming the rifle back in the display case after tearing up the form) if the address isn't current. I explained to him I've purchased 8 firearms in the past three months from 3 separate FFL's and this is the first time I hear of this. They only conveyed what was on the yellow form to the ATF. He tells me it's a federal requirement not a cabelas policy and all three dealers are in violation. Someone chime in here.

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    It doesn't seem likely to me that three separate firearms dealers (guys that make a living selling guns, not a big box store) would risk their licenses if this was a big deal. Still doesn't add up to me, but the guy was still a tool about it. I'll just order it online and get it to one of my transfer dealers who gladly accepts my $$$ and my "fraudulent" license lol.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    An ID has to have a current address. It's not the fault of the FFL holder that you have an invalid ID. You know the law and you need to take care of the issues. We run into that problem every now & then. A real pain on a transfer. Go get it taken care of and you won't have this problem. You could lose your CCW license if you didn't change your address.

Beauxdog

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=88383

LRS 32:406 notice of change of address

Whenever any person after applying for or receiving license shall move permanently from the address or place of residence named in the application he shall, within ten days thereafter, notify the driver's license division, in writing, of such change and of his new address.

JR1572

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree with the other guys, I was ticketed once for not changing my ID (was thrown out though Bc i "relocated temporarily to my sisters house during Katrina). But still it is my responsibility to update my information, just like it's my responsibility to renew my license. I turn down no less than 3 people per day for items that require ID. And almost always it's Bc its expired. Sorry, there's no grace period on what the board says, it says I need to collect a "valid" Id and an expired one is no longer valid.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    From what the members on here say there are 3 FFL's out there that don't know the law or don't care.

If the buyer does not tell the FFL that his address has changed they have no way of knowing if he moved or not. Now if he told the dealer that he moved and they still accepted it they were obviously wrong.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    An alternate for of documentation could have been used. Usually a government issued document with the current address. Vehicle registration would be ok i think.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If the buyer does not tell the FFL that his address has changed they have no way of knowing if he moved or not. Now if he told the dealer that he moved and they still accepted it they were obviously wrong.

So does the FFL ask the buyer if the info on the DL is correct when doing the paper work?

I know my buddy couldn't buy a rifle from Academy one time because he had a P.O. box number on his DL and no street address.

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Well screw me. Like I said, multiple transactions through three dealers and no one said crap. And to answer a few of the previous statements yes, I did provide my DL along with the 4433 and they most definitely didn't match and no one told me any different. I've been putting off the dmv since December because in Lafayette it's like a hunger games episode but to be on the level I guess a visit is inevitable.

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    So does the FFL ask the buyer if the info on the DL is correct when doing the paper work?

I know my buddy couldn't buy a rifle from Academy one time because he had a P.O. box number on his DL and no street address.

If it's different on your DL from the address you put on the 4433 form then it's sort of obvious but I've always told them up front that it was different. Like I said, none of the guys said squat.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Do you have a CHP and if so does it have your correct address?

Top Bottom