new scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    I picked up a Kimber in 7mm-08 this week and I am going to need to add a scope.........I am not a major deer hunter, but once I get supper cooking from my morning duck hunt, I usually take a stand to thin the does........200 yards is my longest shot in my comfort zone.

I do hunt the late afternoons, so light is abig deal for sure.

Where do you guys stand for under 1K on a scope for my situation

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    If you budget for up to $1000, there is a lot of good glass to choose from. I like Zeiss and Leoupold but you can shop around and find a deal on Swazorski, Meopta,

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Been looking around and I really like the Trijicon at this point........the Meopta is a second but there just aren't many around to put your hands on.......

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    http://www.precisionscopes.com/leupold_vx-3_illuminated_scopes

Have ordered a couple leupold scopes from these guys. You get free scope covers, not a huge bonus, but a bonus non-the-less. The VX-3 Illuminated should fit your bill nicely.

For a Benjamin or so less, the VX-R series is nice too, but I've found the reticles are a little too thick for my taste at targets >100yrds.

One other company you my look at is Vortex. Got experience with one of their VIPER HS lines and 2 VIPER PSTs, all are very good scopes. One is on my hog rig and seeing at dusk has not been a problem.

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Define what you want in a scope.....side focus? 30mmtube? what power range? any idea for eye relief? illuminated? ect.
    Then find the scopes with the features, Leupold makes a world class product with some of the best lenses in the world and a very good warranty; my opinion.
    I would personally look for 2x7 power and duplex cross hairs in a 30 mm tube, but that is me; I do not have much for long range shooting when hunting.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I picked up a Kimber in 7mm-08 this week and I am going to need to add a scope.........I am not a major deer hunter, but once I get supper cooking from my morning duck hunt, I usually take a stand to thin the does........200 yards is my longest shot in my comfort zone.

Give us a call. We'll get you set up right.

http://www.sportoptics.com

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Kimber's are trim little rifles, I wouldn't stick a huge 30mm tube scope with a 50+mm objective. If it was mine I'd put a Leupy VX-III 3.5-10x40 but there are a lot of options in that size range.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    ^ +1 to this, it doesn't matter how it performs, as long as it looks good

Where did I mention looks? Big scopes on small rifles generally make the rifle handle like **** and 50mm objectives require high rings that make getting a decent cheek weld dificult. For the stated use (hunting shots out to 200 yards) there is no performance advantage to be had by using a scope the size of the hubble telescope. Any reasonable quality 40mm scope will easily get you well past legal shooting hours. Deer at 200 yards don't require a ton of magnification. IMO a nice 2-7 or 3-9ish power scope with a 1" tube and 40ish mm objective is perfect for this application. Of course opinions will differ...

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    To me that's what it looked like, I guess I read into it what I was thinking, I like all my gear to look cool! I don't have hunting rifles only AR's, and let's be honest, big scopes look bad on AR's, that's why I use 1-4 1-6 scopes, even tho we're shooting out to 600! It just looks bad a$$!! :-)

And the luepold you mentioned is a nice scope, I have one setting in the safe

Top Bottom