Question for CEHollar or someone else with back knowledge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Here's the deal- last June I had an L5/S1 microdiscetomy. I had problems with this for about a year before surgery so I had quit going to the gym because that would irritate it. After surgery the surgeon released me for cardio and ab/arm work. I have had a full release since, but when asking the surgeon about what I could or couldn't do he said no running (doesn't break my heart) and no more squats. That was about it. He didn't recommend any exercises to me. He actually confused me a little as to what would be good or bad to do to help strengthen the back. I was wondering if any of you had this procedure done and what kind of exercises helped or hurt. I know I'm starting out with lower weight then normal (it's been about 2 years so I had no choice!). And I also understand that the back and abs are like dominos- one can cause the other to fail. Right now my abs are in probably the best shape they have been in since the Army. But I just don't want to get back in there and do something stupid and start the process all over again. I have been doing the generic back strengthening exercises like lat pull downs and rows, but I wanted to start doing something for my lower back again. I used to do a reverse sit-up ( i'm not sure of the technical name for it) but wasn't sure if that would be the best. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sasquatch26

Squatch
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Geismar
    225todd - I may be able to help a little for you. I think your reverse sit-up is a great idea as long as you don't feel pain. Also, as you mentioned, do some abs, crunches would be best to tighten your mid-section. Strong abs=strong lower back. Also, any core exercises would help, squats with no weight, light dumbbell dead lift...talking like 10's (as long as it doesn't cause you pain), sitting against a wall like your in a chair to strengthen your core, items such as that that will really strengthen that core. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, only do what's comfortable, don't do anything that feels any pull or discomfort. To cover myself.....this is non-medical advice, just suggestions.

Top Bottom