Northshore lead?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Many people recommend tire shops to get wheel weights but I don't think that is as easy as it once was with the value of lead being so much higher now than it was a few years ago. Also wheel weights are very dirty, I've heard some people say it's not worth using.

I would try finding out what kinds of commercial items use lead and start looking for a Craigslist score.

X-ray Machines for instance have a TON of lead, one of those could set you up for a LONG time.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First of all I strongly suggest that you go to the castboolits forum and start reading, it will shorten your learning curve immensly. Tons of info from experienced people. As far as sources: clip-on wheelweights are the easiest alloy to use, that being said lead WW are getting harder to come by being replaced with steel, zinc, and some kind of plastic looking crap. Major tire shops nowadays seem to be wired in with scrap dealers and recyclers and won't sell you any, by the way the days of free WW are pretty much over, $20-40 per 5gal bucket seems to be the norm. You will then have to learn how to sort out the undesirable materials. Smaller stores and service stations you just have to ask, get used to the word NO. Roofing lead, plumber's lead, old sailboat keel weights, lead from remodeled X-ray labs, lead pipe are all good but you will have to learn to alloy them as they are basically pure lead which is only good for muzzle loaders. Get used to the idea that you may have to buy your lead. Craigslist is a possibility as is E-Bay, bear in mind that the seller may have melted the lead and zinc weights together which ruins the lead for casting--it's just buyer beware. Scrap yards are a good source, as is Rotometals.com. There are folks on the castboolits site who sell WW material already refined and in ingots, usually around $1 per pound shipped. That's all I can think of right now, enjoy your new hobby! GW

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I used to drive around to tire shops with cash and ask if they had any old WW i could buy off them. Had my buckets with me so they could keep theirs. Like goatwhiskers said get used to no and the smaller or backwoods type tire shops seem to me to have the best WW, less of the zinc and other new crap. Since then I now have a customer that has a tire shop, so now I pretty much get all of their old WW. Just have get out there and keep track who says what.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You can also go to any scrap yard and buy all u want for 80 cents to 1.00 a pound. Saves a lot of running around. They regularly buy old lead plumbing and roofing jacks which are pretty much pure lead without the antimony and zinc

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom