calling all musicians- super deals afoot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Was browsing online while watching some terrible movie last night and stumbled across a few steals for fellow musically inclined folks.

Musicians Friend via Amazon has Marshall MC15's and Fender Mustang amps 35% off with free shipping until tuesday. The marshall has mp3 in and comes with USB to PC recording software as well - for under 100 bucks total. I own the amp but use a different software to record, so I can't vouch, but its a heck of a deal on the amps.

Amazon has 2014 Gibson SG's (Faded) for $480 with free shipping, and includes the padded gibson gig bag. If you know Gibson, you'll need clean shorts after that one. A friend of mine picked one up as his workhorse gig guitar and let me tell ya, after playing it I put it straight on my "next buy" list. As an owner of Gibson les pauls, fenders, and a PRS, let me tell ya this thing is quite possibly the best bang for buck guitar I've ever seen. The cheapest used SG at the shop saturday was 630 and didn't include the bag. I'm tempted to buy 2 of these honestly.

Anyhow- I was stunned to see these deals and just thought I'd pass them on.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    guitarwall.jpg

I'm going to add an SG standard to the wall at some point. I love the Min-etune system, and will be getting it from Tronical for the ones I have already.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    View attachment 53193

I'm going to add an SG standard to the wall at some point. I love the Min-etune system, and will be getting it from Tronical for the ones I have already.

whats the new standard run, 1k or so?

edit: just noticed the Marshall amp here, I think its the same one I discussed above. I have one as well and its my go to

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    whats the new standard run, 1k or so?

edit: just noticed the Marshall amp here, I think its the same one I discussed above. I have one as well and its my go to

My main amp is the Peavey 6505+ The little Marshall is a Valvestate 15R. I bought it in Okinawa in 96. I use it if I'm jamming with a buddy without drums. It's one channel, and nothing fancy, but it does well enough. I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

What's funny is, if you'd have told me 25 years ago that when I was in a position to play through whatever I wanted, that I'd be playing a Peavey, I'd have said you were smoking crack.. I played everything under the sun, but that Peavey is what came home with me. Not saying I wouldn't love a nice Marshall, Mesa, Engl or whatnot, but I really love that Peavey.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Ordered it in cherry satin. May or may not add a pick guard, I'll judge it when I open the box. I went and played it again before hand, and it's easily the best sounding guitar for under 1500 that I've ever played. I'm so very tempted to order another, but I'm not a fan of the other colors and just cant justify two identical guitars. I'll just have to go amp shopping instead!

Something about this receipt that just makes me glow...

Retail: $1,064.00
    Shipping: 0.00

Cost: $481.97

So, I've bought 3 guns and a guitar now in 7 days, and my wifes birthday and our anniversary are both next week. If I don't post again soon, please send a search party.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    That's great man. Enjoy it!

I was just checking out the 2015 model line. Looks like Gibson and Tronical have made some improvements to the Min-Etune system. I'm going to be holding off, but will be picking up an SG Standard at some point in the not too distant future.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I'll be getting a Line 6 G55 wireless system soon. Five nights a week gigging has proven to be too much for my Shure digital wireless. I'll also be looking for a GK 1001RB bass amp to replace my 700RB and an Ampeg 610HLF bass cab to replace my 410HLF.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'll be getting a Line 6 G55 wireless system soon. Five nights a week gigging has proven to be too much for my Shure digital wireless. I'll also be looking for a GK 1001RB bass amp to replace my 700R and an Ampeg 610HLF bass cab to replace my 410HLF.

That will be a nice rig.

I recently discovered my old Samson wireless Mic, and guitar rig bit the dust at some point over the last several years while sitting boxed up. I might be looking at that Line 6 unit also.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 to the line 6.

Shopping for another amp now with better mp3/usb connectivity. My mustang does it, but doesn't do it well. I'm using a bluetooth bose station to play mp3 backtracks in the meantime. It'll be nice to be able to balance my input volume vs the backtrack a little better without actually recording it to pc first.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    That's great man. Enjoy it!

I was just checking out the 2015 model line. Looks like Gibson and Tronical have made some improvements to the Min-Etune system. I'm going to be holding off, but will be picking up an SG Standard at some point in the not too distant future.

I was looking at some 2015 Les Pauls this weekend. I have to say, I don't like what they are doing. First I don't like the "Les Paul 100" on the head stock, and I hate the tuners. A Les Paul standard costs around $2000. Who wants to spend 2 gs on a guitar that has that mickey mouse ******** on it? I mean, I would think that most people spending that kind of money want to have something "traditional," right? I know if im buying a Les Paul, even if its from a new model year, I want it to look like one from the 50s and 60s. If I want new technology on a guitar, I would buy an Ibanez or something. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?

While I was looking at Les Pauls, I got this one.....its not a 2015.....

HoneyBurstLesPaul_zpse7e09ad8.jpg

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My current rig (GK 700RB & Ampeg 410HLF) rocks!! I think it's time for more wattage and more speakers. I put in about 40 hours of gigging a week..... it's actually my job. The club i work on Bourbon is huge...... it's the biggest one on the street (The Beach on Bourbon) and my current rig can handle it. However, more wattage, more speakers and lower impedance will result in more headroom without having to max out the gain. My current rig will become my backup and the new rig (GK 1001RB & Ampeg 610HLF) will become the main powerhouse for my basses.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I was looking at some 2015 Les Pauls this weekend. I have to say, I don't like what they are doing. First I don't like the "Les Paul 100" on the head stock, and I hate the tuners. A Les Paul standard costs around $2000. Who wants to spend 2 gs on a guitar that has that mickey mouse ******** on it? I mean, I would think that most people spending that kind of money want to have something "traditional," right? I know if im buying a Les Paul, even if its from a new model year, I want it to look like one from the 50s and 60s. If I want new technology on a guitar, I would buy an Ibanez or something. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?

The resissues were always my absolute favorites, and the peak of Gibson style and hardware was anything '00-'11 imo. (aside from the pre '70 wet dream guitars) I genuinely think that PRS is the new "elite" level USA guitar for style and quality. I'm not saying fenders and gibsons aren't amazing guitars, I own both. Having played a few PRS's, they are just in a top tier level for me.

They should have done the les paul 100th tribute the same way as the SG - a small inlay at fret 12 "100th aniversary". Keep my mf headstock clean- gibson should know the headstock is sacred ground.

Here's a pic of the SG 100th tribute:
    SGJ14C2SC1-Glam-Shot.jpg

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

I've played Ibanez for almost 30 years. I still do. All of the guitars in my pic below are Ibanez, except for the Les Paul. I had several more that I traded in when I bought the Peavey 6505+.

I disagree with your assessment of the Tronical tune. My opinion, it's the coolest and most useful innovation since the Humbucker. Have you tried using it?
    To go from Standard to a myriad of other tunings, on the fly, in the middle of a song... It's freakin awesome man. I'm retrofitting all of my guitars with it.
    If you only play in E Standard with an occasional Drop D, it's still useful in that they are locking tuners, and it's far faster than manually tuning.

The resissues were always my absolute favorites, and the peak of Gibson style and hardware was anything '00-'11 imo. (aside from the pre '70 wet dream guitars) I genuinely think that PRS is the new "elite" level USA guitar for style and quality. I'm not saying fenders and gibsons aren't amazing guitars, I own both. Having played a few PRS's, they are just in a top tier level for me.

They should have done the les paul 100th tribute the same way as the SG - a small inlay at fret 12 "100th aniversary". Keep my mf headstock clean- gibson should know the headstock is sacred ground.

Here's a pic of the SG 100th tribute:
    PRS isn't for me. I cannot stand the necks, or the neck joint. I used to find their rotary pickup switch a complete PITA also. Apparently I wasn't the only one, since they use normal switches now.
    No doubt they are finely crafted and quality instruments, but if they don't feel right, they don't feel right.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    The resissues were always my absolute favorites...........

Funny you should mention the reissues. I have a 58 Reissue Iced Tea Burst VOS Les Paul. I am by no means a good enough player to have this guitar, but I had to have it. The chartreuse sparkle Strat is a custom shop guitar also, another one im not good a good enough player to own. Im not even good enough to own the charvel. Hell, I should be playing a 50 dollar guitar.

guitars2_zps08ae1738.jpg

I totally agree with you on the Gibson headstock being sacred ground. Keep it traditional!

I was never into SGs, but I like that one in the picture. The 12th fret is enough to commemorate the 100 years.

I like a bunch of the PRS guitars, but I think I bought my last guitar yesterday.

I've played Ibanez for almost 30 years. I still do. All of the guitars in my pic below are Ibanez, except for the Les Paul. I had several more that I traded in when I bought the Peavey 6505+.

I disagree with your assessment of the Tronical tune. My opinion, it's the coolest and most useful innovation since the Humbucker. Have you tried using it?
    To go from Standard to a myriad of other tunings, on the fly, in the middle of a song... It's freakin awesome man. I'm retrofitting all of my guitars with it.
    If you only play in E Standard with an occasional Drop D, it's still useful in that they are locking tuners, and it's far faster than manually tuning..

I wasn't knocking Ibanez at all.

No, I have never tried those tuners. I guess I look at guitars as collectors items, so I want them to be more traditional. That's the only reason why I say I don't like them.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm jealous!

My first year or so I couldn't play for crap. Once you get the basics, the rest is just "easier ways to do stuff". My first year it took me days of practice to learn new songs. Playing a few years now and can play 80 or 90 songs, and record my own stuff occasionally. Now new songs take ~ a few hours or so to pickup pretty well. Not sure if you're a true beginner or just being modest, but if you can do G C D and A, thats literally hundreds of songs.

If you're around lafayette area shoot me a pm. I'll have ya playing music in a few hours. In exchange I only ask that you let me molest that les paul.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    <snipped to just what I'm responding to>
    guitars2_zps08ae1738.jpg

I totally agree with you on the Gibson headstock being sacred ground. Keep it traditional!

I wasn't knocking Ibanez at all.

No, I have never tried those tuners. I guess I look at guitars as collectors items, so I want them to be more traditional. That's the only reason why I say I don't like them.

If it's lettering on the headstock y'all are not liking, I can agree with that.

I didn't get the impression you were knocking them, just giving a tidbit of my background.

Try them! On the new Gibsons, they've improved some of the features. I'm sure they'll be in the new moded Tronical branded tuners also.
    Tronical was contracted by Gibson to improve their Robot tuning system from a couple years ago. The concept was nice, but the Tronical designed Min-Etune system is a big improvement!

For about $300 you can add it to most guitars, aftermarket. Their website has install templates so you can be sure to buy the one for whatever model you are trying to install it on. They make a template format for most major guitar makes. I have to say though, unless you block your tuner, or have a lock of some sort, I don't see it working well with a Floyd Rose type setup. I block my Floyds with a piece of tone wood between the sustain block and the back of the tremolo cavity. I got out of the wammy bar trickery several years ago. Not that I don't like it, just I prefer tone and increased sustain to having a whammy.
    I sitll like fine tuners, and string locks that Floyd equipped guitars have though.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    My current rig (GK 700RB & Ampeg 410HLF) rocks!! I think it's time for more wattage and more speakers. I put in about 40 hours of gigging a week..... it's actually my job. The club i work on Bourbon is huge...... it's the biggest one on the street (The Beach on Bourbon) and my current rig can handle it. However, more wattage, more speakers and lower impedance will result in more headroom without having to max out the gain. My current rig will become my backup and the new rig (GK 1001RB & Ampeg 610HLF) will become the main powerhouse for my basses.

Nice, I wouldn't mind going pro. It would be great to have a job that I actually love. My wife wouldn't like it much though. I'm pretty much stuck with jamming with friends, with an occasional gig.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    As far as basses go...... I'm a die hard Fender man! However, my current gig requires the use of a 5 string bass and Fender 5 string basses, for the most part, suck! Sad to say but it's true. That low B string just doesn't get tight enough on that 34" scale neck, resulting in a weak, flabby tone. For my gigs, I use Ibanez SR series basses (SR505, 605 & 705). They are lightweight, tone versatile and that 35" scale neck makes a world of difference. The extra tension on the low B string creates monstrous low end frequency which can dialed in precisely to give you that smooth R&B/pop tone or that growly rock/blues tone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom