shtf, firefight with looters/bandits. what kind of guns they most likely will be...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Not sure I get the question, but I'd imagine most drive-bys etc are done with handguns. FBI statistics don't show very many murders being committed with rifles.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    They will use whatever they have,but if you've ever seen "thuggin & lovin it", you'll see they have more than pistols

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    shtf, firefight with looters/bandits. what kind of guns they most likely will...

Not in a looting situation but general "bad guys"; most I've come across are everything from Glocks to revolvers I've never heard of; mostly stolen of course. If SHTF, they will have anything and everything that they can steal. ALWAYS stay ready. Be ready to kill ANYONE before they kill you. :)

Last edited:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    The cheapest most easily replaceable and disposable handgun they can get.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think that's the case as evidenced by the video in Orleans Parish Prison where the thug had a foty caliba HK.

More then likely what would be used would be based on mainly availability.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think that's the case as evidenced by the video in Orleans Parish Prison where the thug had a foty caliba HK.

More then likely what would be used would be based on mainly availability.

Oh well one HK they must all be using them. We used to have a member here that worked at the crime lab in the ebr. The two most common according to him were Hi Point and Sigma.

Dave

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Oh well one HK they must all be using them. We used to have a member here that worked at the crime lab in the ebr. The two most common according to him were Hi Point and Sigma.

Dave

I miss that guy...

If you're ever attacked by a mob of miscreants for any reason, your best bet would probably be to beat feet, and find a vehicle to get out of there. If you want to Rambo out, go for it man. Please delete your bayoushooter account first though..... Just sayin

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    He still visits occasionally under another name. If you know him you will know who he is by the new name. He retired from LSP and now works part time at the LSP Crime Lab.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Dave

Dave, You will find him on page 10 of the Handgun Classifieds where he recently sold four pistols and decided to keep the two Bowie G19 Glocks.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    They'll use whatever they can get their hands on. They'll have an easier time getting their hands on commonly available stuff like cheap wal-mart ARs, cheap AKs, glocks(because they're so common), and cheap revolvers, as opposed to rarer stuff like a select fire G36 or a missile launcher or something.

Even though they'll typically be using cheaper more common stuff, they can still easily take you out if they have more practice than you or they get the jump on you.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    They have lots of nice weapons. They get most of them from legal gun owners that leave them in their vehicles or not secured in the home when away.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Dave

Dave, You will find him on page 10 of the Handgun Classifieds where he recently sold four pistols and decided to keep the two Bowie G19 Glocks.

We're not looking to find each other. However he actually did know what he was talking about. Unlike most of the people posting on this thread. And from what I've seen as a paramedic in EBR for a very long time. Criminals will use the cheapest piece of crap they can obtain to shoot each other with.

I'm not saying they might have nicer ones around the house. But if you shoot someone you have to throw away the weapon afterwards. They by and large use disposable weapons with very little value for that purpose. The cool expensive ones are for showing off to their friends. That's true no matter how they obtained they firearms or how much they actually paid for them.

This is speaking for the majority of the cases not weird individual ones.

Dave

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    To the OP and in the true spirit of the forum this thread is located in:

In a true SHTF scenario, it is going to depend on your geography. Basically they are going to be armed with whatever they take off of the people they encounter on their way to where you are. Doesn't matter if they start with Sigmas, Hi-Pernts, Jennings, etc. It will be whatever they end up with from the people that failed to stop them. For instance, if you live in a rural area, expect some 7mm Deer Rifles and some shotguns mixed in their somewhere.

There will be a steep learning curve for them. The more opposition they encounter and survive on their way to you, the smarter they will get.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've come across some thuggish types at the range with AK's and SKS's before.... mostly hip shooting but a few actually knew how to shoot. Maybe if more knew how there would be more dead drug dealers and fewer dead innocent bystanders.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    As stated above... don't underestimate the firepower of criminals or their numbers. Ability and skill, maybe you can have the upper hand on that... but again, don't bet on it. Even if you had only 5 guys spraying and praying 30 rounds each in your direction... they don't have to be accurate when its only one out of 150 that needs to find it's mark. That doesn't even account for all the other factors that would come into play.

In a SHTF scenario, geography, demographics, etc. will play a role. Whatever they have (and can get ammo for), they will use... as time goes on, they will increase their firepower by looting dead bodies, homes, commercial locations (sporting goods stores, Wal-Mart, Gun shops, pawn shops, whomever sells weapons.

Throw enough firepower at a target and it will change things. That's why Special Operations teams are trained to function as an entire platoon of men... laying down hate in massive quantities gives the appearance of a larger unit. It also provides suppression for evasion and escape.

Think about Mogadishu in in '93... hundreds/thousands of shooters... tens/hundreds of thousands of rounds being thrown at those men. Sadly, some found their mark. However, our forces attributed to an estimated (reliably) 800-1000 dead and 3,000–4,000 wounded. We suffered 18 casualties... 5 of which were helicopter crewmen/pilots killed in the crashes and another 75 men wounded that day.

All it takes is one well placed round to call it a day and take you out of the fight for good.

If you want to look at it another way, if a 7.62 round (somewhat of a favorite with criminals - AK) impacts your body... you could immediately be looking at a partially severed limb(s), massive bleeding... you would more than likely go into shock which could help (in the very short term) or hurt you (in the long term), it depends on the severity of the wound. Sometimes shock isn't a bad thing... it will cause you to overlook pain, broken bones, nerve damage... that is, until that adrenaline rush is gone and you come back down to reality.

Sorry... I got a little side tracked. So... in real life the "Good Guys" don't always win. Planning, preparing, training, etc. will safe your life. Again, something we have over criminals. Most of them carry a weapon, however, most of them have never fired it in a "practice" situation, much less under stress. If it's out on the street, they can get it... and they will use it. Maybe not effectively, but they will try as hard as they can.

There's no real way to be 100% prepared for a true SHTF scenario... but you'd be amazed at what you can accomplish when it comes to saving/protecting your family.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As stated above... don't underestimate the firepower of criminals or their numbers. Ability and skill, maybe you can have the upper hand on that... but again, don't bet on it. Even if you had only 5 guys spraying and praying 30 rounds each in your direction... they don't have to be accurate when its only one out of 150 that needs to find it's mark. That doesn't even account for all the other factors that would come into play.

In a SHTF scenario, geography, demographics, etc. will play a role. Whatever they have (and can get ammo for), they will use... as time goes on, they will increase their firepower by looting dead bodies, homes, commercial locations (sporting goods stores, Wal-Mart, Gun shops, pawn shops, whomever sells weapons.

Throw enough firepower at a target and it will change things. That's why Special Operations teams are trained to function as an entire platoon of men... laying down hate in massive quantities gives the appearance of a larger unit. It also provides suppression for evasion and escape.

Think about Mogadishu in in '93... hundreds/thousands of shooters... tens/hundreds of thousands of rounds being thrown at those men. Sadly, some found their mark. However, our forces attributed to an estimated (reliably) 800-1000 dead and 3,000–4,000 wounded. We suffered 18 casualties... 5 of which were helicopter crewmen/pilots killed in the crashes and another 75 men wounded that day.

All it takes is one well placed round to call it a day and take you out of the fight for good.

If you want to look at it another way, if a 7.62 round (somewhat of a favorite with criminals - AK) impacts your body... you could immediately be looking at a partially severed limb(s), massive bleeding... you would more than likely go into shock which could help (in the very short term) or hurt you (in the long term), it depends on the severity of the wound. Sometimes shock isn't a bad thing... it will cause you to overlook pain, broken bones, nerve damage... that is, until that adrenaline rush is gone and you come back down to reality.

Sorry... I got a little side tracked. So... in real life the "Good Guys" don't always win. Planning, preparing, training, etc. will safe your life. Again, something we have over criminals. Most of them carry a weapon, however, most of them have never fired it in a "practice" situation, much less under stress. If it's out on the street, they can get it... and they will use it. Maybe not effectively, but they will try as hard as they can.

There's no real way to be 100% prepared for a true SHTF scenario... but you'd be amazed at what you can accomplish when it comes to saving/protecting your family.

Tactical surgical.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom