New 9MM Gold Dot G2.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The new 147gr. Gold Dot G2 ammunition with a polymer tip which many expect to be the new FBI issue round for their new 9mm pistols will be available after it is announced at SHOT.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    But you already got my attention right here
    G2.r3.jpg

G2ALG.gif

THE GOLD DOT 2 UPGRADE FEATURES A BULLET DESIGN THAT EXCELS IN THE FBI PROTOCOL FOR LE AMMUNITION. ITS SHALLOW, DISH SHAPED NOSE CONTOUR IS FILLED WITH ELASTOMER TO PROVIDE RAPID EXPANSION WHERE NEEDED AND MINIMIZE OVER PENETRATION WHERE ITS NOT. GOLD DOT G2'S UNI-COR CONSTRUCTION MOLECULARLY BONDS THE COPPER JACKET TO THE ALLOYED LEAD CORE, VIRTUALLY ELIMINATING SEPARATIONS.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    James, what are people saying about this round? The Dentist is being secret squirrel about it on the other forum you and I are on.

JR1572

From what I can gather it should have greater penetration that the current Gold Dot. Also less chance of plugging up which should help with expansion when fired into heavy clothing.
    Speer has a NDA with some of the people testing this ammunition. It is supposed to be "under wraps" until announced at SHOT.
    When I receive an availability update I will let you know.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Good deal...Keep the updates coming as you hear them. Def interested in seeing the performance on these.

M_Lou32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Gonzales, LA
    A buddy of mine came across these at a gun show earlier this month actually. So it would seem they're out on the market already. He picked up a couple boxes of 9mm 147gr standard pressure loads. I'm going to try to convince him to sell me a box.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Word is the FBI already has the G2 and it will be their new issue round when they adopt new 9mm pistols. I will continue to inquire about this.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Better than HST?

Below is a quote from a SME who is involved in testing the 9mm G2 ammunition.

Thank you, but we have had this ammo for a while. Unfortunately we were asked not to discuss the results. If possible, we'll try and put up some information in the near future. The Speer 9 mm 147 gr G2 is very good performing barrier blind ammunition! In fact modern 9 mm ammo like the G2 performs so well, that many large LE agencies are having no issues giving up larger caliber handguns in favor of easier shooting, more durable, higher capacity 9 mm handguns that offer terminal performance that only a few years ago was only possible with larger calibers like .40 S&W and .45 Auto.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Below is a quote from a SME who is involved in testing the 9mm G2 ammunition.

Thank you, but we have had this ammo for a while. Unfortunately we were asked not to discuss the results. If possible, we'll try and put up some information in the near future. The Speer 9 mm 147 gr G2 is very good performing barrier blind ammunition! In fact modern 9 mm ammo like the G2 performs so well, that many large LE agencies are having no issues giving up larger caliber handguns in favor of easier shooting, more durable, higher capacity 9 mm handguns that offer terminal performance that only a few years ago was only possible with larger calibers like .40 S&W and .45 Auto.

So we'll have to wait and see :D Very interesting.

This stuff is supposed to be like HST but mo' betta' lol

Yeah it looks like the HST design, but they added a plug a-la critical defense. Federal & Speer are both owned by ATK so it seems like any new ammo "premium LE" ammo by either should be at least as-good-as HST which was previously established as the best round available from what I gather.

Gold dot has been getting long in the tooth for some time now. Well really ever since the advent of HST and reintroduction of Ranger T.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The current Gold Dot 124gr. +P has an excellent track record so the new G2 must be even better. The FBI is big on penetration so I expect more penetration from the new G2 line.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Is there any reason for Speer to keep the original gold dots around? I can't imagine that these are much more expensive to produce.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom