Anyone have a scooter?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Looking for something cheap that can get me around town. Got a car but looking for something that's even better on gas for local travel.

It has to do 45 mph for going up and down 190 but it will never see the interstate.

From what I was reading, I can get a 150cc and register it and get insurance and plates on it. It looks like I need to take the motorcycle class. What else am I missing? I can't find a "This is what you need" official website just bits and pieces from the web.

If I could find a decent starter bike I'd rather a motorcycle but can't find any around my $1000 price limit.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    You need to spend $1k on helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket before you get on anything on 2 wheels that goes faster than a(man powered) bike.

And yea, you can get a little 450-650 for about $1k if your not picky.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I've got budget put aside for gear (and have a friend who rides with a lot of spares) just trying to find the bike. Not picky at all. Never ridden before just not sure what I need to be legal. What do you mean a little 450-650? Where can I look? I only know craigslist and it's full of overpriced junk.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Josh, you would look awesome on a scooter, especially a vespa. Double the cool factor if you get a one piece race suit with a full face helmet and race boots.

I have seen the pocket bikes for sale cheap, put lights on those and get rolling!!!

You will need to pass the dmv motorcycle test to get the license endorsement. Not difficult, took me 30mins to do the whole thing, written and driving tests.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    There is a local bike forum, but I cannot think of the name. Rocket something sticks out in my mind, but that might be completely wrong.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Josh, you would look awesome on a scooter, especially a vespa. Double the cool factor if you get a one piece race suit with a full face helmet and race boots.

I have seen the pocket bikes for sale cheap, put lights on those and get rolling!!!

You will need to pass the dmv motorcycle test to get the license endorsement. Not difficult, took me 30mins to do the whole thing, written and driving tests.

LOL you crack me up :) No one piece race suit... And I don't care how cool I look. Just trying to save money on my 10 minute commute to work and not put so many miles on the "new to me" car.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

golftdibrad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    BR
    You need to spend $1k on helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket before you get on anything on 2 wheels that goes faster than a(man powered) bike.

this.

under 50cc no MC endorsement needed. A ruckus will do about 40 with a tail wind

IMHO, if your not staying under 50cc might as well get a 250 something and have a bit of fun and get good fuel mileage.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA

I personally would put my money on something else. Everyone of the Chinese bikes/scooters I have seen are problematic. Not a big deal when it is a little atv that leaves you stranded in the yard, much bigger deal when it leaves you stranded miles from home.
    a grand will buy a decent beater/ starter bike if you look around for a while.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

Doesn't appear to be street legal. But cool concept. I doubt it would go 40mph with a 225lb man on it. The guy in the video looks pretty skinny.

- - - Updated - - -

this.

under 50cc no MC endorsement needed. A ruckus will do about 40 with a tail wind

IMHO, if your not staying under 50cc might as well get a 250 something and have a bit of fun and get good fuel mileage.

From what I'm reading you can't get a license plate for one of the under 50cc ones

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

I was selling a little 50cc minibike on Craigslist and I had some Indian guy overseas trying to get me to sell it to his daughter at Tulane to use it as her primary means of transportation around New Orleans.... I had to tell him things were a little different here than in India.

WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I ride a full size bike on a daily basis on the interstate, but a 150-250cc would be fine for anything less than interstate riding.
    Don't be afraid to add a bit to your budget, the gas savings alone will more than make it up quickly.
    I bought a new bike that gets 50+ mpg and the savings in fuel cost compared to my SUV pays for the bike and the insurance, so once its paid for, its money in my pocket instead.

WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    1 - Study this manual...

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/DPSForms.nsf/8bad5589175b8981862575f20048ee65/67f85667abe6af8d8625740c006c3431?OpenDocument

2 - Take the written (computer) test at the DMV,

3 - Take the riding portion of the test, usually 4 consecutive figure-eights without stopping or touching the ground with your foot...also be aware you will need to have somebody (licensed) ride your bike there for you or they may fail you just for that. Also be sure the bike is registered and insured, they will check.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    You can skip step three and the logistical headaches it can bring by taking the MSF safety course. You'll be a little better off for it as well.

For a $1000 scooter, classifieds are about the only place. You might find something on advrider, but the Louisiana street bike forums have been all but dead the past few years, especially classifieds.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes, the MSF course is highly recommended, but not always easy to fit into one's schedule...do it if you can, even if its after you get your endorsement.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom