Duty knife for LEO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    My friend is graduating the police academy next month and I want to get him a good knife he can use for duty as a graduation gift, something under $75 but that's good quality and will last him a long time. I'd appreciate some input from current and former LEOs as to what knives yall prefer for duty use.

whitea87

WhiteA87
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Luling,LA
    spyderco paramilitary 2 its 120.00
    spyderco endura
    benchmade griptilian

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    My best advice would be for a gift card or something to a knife website or store such as BR Police Supply so he can pick his own. Some people are more picky about gear than others and would rather choose for themselves.

SOG seal pup

For duty? I couldnt imagine my pup hanging off of my belt.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Spyderco, benchmade, zero tolerance are all very good advice (zt will be more money but value is there). Gift card is also except they can usually be ordered for less than you can find around here.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Spyderco, benchmade, zero tolerance are all very good advice (zt will be more money but value is there). Gift card is also except they can usually be ordered for less than you can find around here.

Yes, I forgot about Zero Tolerance. The are very good knives. I have a couple of them.

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    Leatherman Skeletool. Use it everyday and I have since I got one 8-9 years ago. 154 CM blade with pliers, Philips and blade screwdriver. Uses a pocket clip so you don't have to have a second pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

Last edited:

swampglockman

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Denham Springs
    + on the gift card.... So many choices and opinions. I carried multiple knives all a little different. You don't have to spend huge bucks to get something useful. If you want I always advised new guys to get and carry a rescue knife (has a serrated edge or dedicated seatbelt cutter, blunt or rounded tip, and carbide tip for vehicle side glass breaking - never used mine but felt good knowing I had it) mine is a S&W labelled from early 2000's. Just bought one for my girlfriend and don't recall brand, but was approx $20 and IMHO decent. As an aside equip your vehicles with one - Velcro somewhere accessible so in a crash u know exactly where it is. My second suggestion is a good ole single blade folder for a duty rig scabbard. I had a basic CRKT (Mt Rainer) not fancy but I used it a bit for utilitarian purposes. That was mine but any decent licking folder will work that can drop in a duty rig knife holder. Find out type of rig and get him/her a knife holder - it will be appreciated - I mean that safari land stuff wasn't cheap. A decent pair of nippers for his kit is good for safely cutting "zip-cuffs" is super practical. Think practical not tactical. Throw in a couple different cuff keys and make a little care package/gift. But if u r spending big again + on gift card. Any cop or military person loves the thrill of shopping after exhaustive research for the legendary - super lightweight reinforced blood grooved NASA designed tactical folder available only to LEO/military after 40 hour training course and practical exam fighting off rabid radical zombie hybrid crackheads for hours...
    It is a personal thing and if they are like me the really nice one gets lost or stolen by some unsavory lawyer walking thru the desk at shift change. That was my opinion ... Free and time will tell the actual value.

Disclaimer: I am not a Ranger - those guys with the exception of the chairbourne type are too busy to surf these forums.. And if they had time the little pay they receive precludes them likely buying the super duper latest and greatest tactical knife.
    I was for a while an LEO for part of my life many years, pounds and hairs ago - yes I liked new fangled gear - still do! But a practical tool provides so much satisfaction when used.

Keep the Military, LEO's, and Moms in your thoughts ... They all have great responsibility,long hours, little pay...

"Policemen" - cause Firemen need Heros also!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom