2015 Mustang 5.0 question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My friend just bought a new 2015 Mustang 5.0
    I told her this morning it was a good thing the gas prices are down since she needed to run 93 octane. She said she put 87 octane .
    Said the dealer didn't tell her that.

What's your take on it?

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    She can run 87/octane without damage. The computer will always sense knock (if it happens) and adjust timing ... So at worst, she may not be able to make max HP on 87/octane.

We had a Nissan tthat required prem unleaded, but we never used it and had 125k miles on the car when we sold it. I could never feel or tell the difference when running the car hard. So tell her that one time is nothing. But I'm sure she's be fine if she never uses prem

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Side track - In the early 90's I purchased a used 89 5.0 GT in pearl white. BY FAR my favorite car I have ever owned. Last month, company handed me the keys to an all black 2011 f150 4x4. I looked it up on-line before getting it and found out some of them had a 5.0 in them. I jokingly asked if they got me the one with a mustang engine. They laughed and said NO but when I popped the hood guess what appeared in front of my eyes. Haven't had a ticket or been pulled over since 1997.....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    she can run regular just fine. As stated above, if you want the extra couple of ponies you cough up for the good stuff. 93-104 octane depending on your wallet.

owners manual > the salesman. Plainly states that regular is perfectly fine but optimal performance requires optimal fuel.

can't wait to take delivery on mine in ~ 4 weeks. You sure its not a 2014? where the heck did she get a '15 already, none of the local dealers have their hands on one yet.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    she can run regular just fine. As stated above, if you want the extra couple of ponies you cough up for the good stuff. 93-104 octane depending on your wallet.

owners manual > the salesman. Plainly states that regular is perfectly fine but optimal performance requires optimal fuel.

can't wait to take delivery on mine in ~ 4 weeks. You sure its not a 2014? where the heck did she get a '15 already, none of the local dealers have their hands on one yet.

She said it was a 15 I saw the pictures but I don't know the difference. It was on the showroom floor I think in Denham Springs

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    She said it was a 15 I saw the pictures but I don't know the difference. It was on the showroom floor I think in Denham Springs

2014:
    002-2014-ford-mustang-gt-opt.jpg

2015:
    images

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm waiting patiently for your reply. If you tell me she lives in louisiana and has a 2015 I'm going to call my dealer and eat their F lunch.

:)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Sterling in Opelousas has a 15 GT.

http://www.saveatsterling.com/auto/...stback_gt_premium-opelousas-70570-la/2336688/

Time to call your local dealer and start eating :)

mthrfr.

He's like "you didn't just write a check and say give me "a mustang", you wanted a specific color, specific interior, specific options... THAT car isn't here yet. Relax!"

To be fair, he did tell me quite a few times that if I just wanted any color, any engine, etc that he'd have me one by november. Not gunna lie, its awful tempting to stick 13 grand back in my pocket and drive home in a v6 tomorrow morning.

Paging SVTFreak. Whats the latest on yours?

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Ford tells EPA regular so it looks cheaper to run on the sticker, but they advertise performance numbers based on premium octane. Which is total ******** but it's a game they play. Hell even the last generation Corvette only required "regular" gas.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Ford tells EPA regular so it looks cheaper to run on the sticker, but they advertise performance numbers based on premium octane. Which is total ******** but it's a game they play. Hell even the last generation Corvette only required "regular" gas.

yeah thats something that most people don't know. It's not unlike when they say "this car can do a 13.6 @ 106", and guys that bought the car yesterday run mid 14's.

Professional driver, premium plus fuel, optimal track conditions... they just leave that out of the brochure.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    SAE corrections as well, I'm sure.

I haven't owned anything that ran on premium (pretty sure my Magnum R/T only recommended mid grade), but don't pretty much all new cars that recommend it do the same as discussed above, just retard the timing and run just fine on regular? I've noticed a much bigger gap in price between regular and mid at a lot of stations than the 10 cents it used to be.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm here!

Madwabbit, they are showing up. All star sold a magnetic gt that was sexy. I almost told them keep my anniversary.

Mine is still sitting at FRAP. Built on 9/30. They released serial numbers 1/2/3 yesterday to be delivered. That's bill fords and 2 other execs. Supposedly they are finally released for shipping.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez

Ford has made no intention to hide the ability to make more power or less power with the fuel and all official ford releases state that saw power numbers are achieved with 91 octane.

I outrun camaros and challengers all day long when my 11 5.0 was stock and I used 87. Even lightly modded ones. Who cares the power number when you're first across the line.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm waiting patiently for your reply. If you tell me she lives in louisiana and has a 2015 I'm going to call my dealer and eat their F lunch.

:)

Haha. Be patient. You ordered a particular car. Ones showing up now are either ordered as stock for a person, which have no guarantee they'll even show up, or a person got lucky. They just started building retail orders (except for the anniversary cars like mine) on the 21st.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Side track - In the early 90's I purchased a used 89 5.0 GT in pearl white. BY FAR my favorite car I have ever owned. Last month, company handed me the keys to an all black 2011 f150 4x4. I looked it up on-line before getting it and found out some of them had a 5.0 in them. I jokingly asked if they got me the one with a mustang engine. They laughed and said NO but when I popped the hood guess what appeared in front of my eyes. Haven't had a ticket or been pulled over since 1997.....

The current 5.0 shares NOTHING (not even displacement) with the 5.0 from before. You're motor is a completely new architecture and design still based on mod motor but with tweaks in the valve train (mostly) to allow much much better power numbers.

Remember, there's a reason they don't build them like they used to.....

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm planning to check out the 2015 ecoboosts for my wife when they are on lots, see how it compares to the mk7 GTI we're waiting for now.

Svtfreak I still wanna see that anniversary edition when it comes in!

Top Bottom