AK vs SKS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    The AK is lighter with removeable mags and available in a ridiculous number of configurations with a massive aftermarket. If you're stuck on staying away from sheet metal receivers, there are plenty of milled variants as well.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Chinese SKS is lighter than my dads coverted Saiga x39. The Yugo is heavier but so is any machined receiver AK. Depending what you want it for I'd say go with the SKS. The Chinese carries and shoots like any other common rifle. Stripper clips are easy to use and cheap.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I owned a Yugo SKS. A fine gun, proven hog killer. A bit heavy, and the balance is muzzle heavy. But fairly accurate given the round it uses isn't particularly accurate itself.
    I modded it to a degree to make it more ergonomical for me.
    Removed the bayonet and grenade launcher sight system. TAPCO stock kit (OD, not black), TAPCO magazines, reduced the barrel to just ahead of the front sight. This barrel mod somewhat corrected the muzzle heaviness, still a bit much though.
    The stock kit definitely made it easier to handle, and the mags work just fine. Replaced the mag catch with an extended version milled from steel which brought the release tab to just in front of the trigger guard. Used a grinder on the bolt body to allow mags to be inserted and released with the bolt closed. This was a really nice improvement.
    It shot very nicely.
    My old friend has a Saiga AK and it shoots and handles well, but another friend's Chinese AK was not very accurate, and rattled like crazy.
    Based on price, and with no mods made or bought, the SKS is a better deal for sure. But the Saiga AK, if you can afford it, seems to have addressed many of the sloppiness issues of the usual AK, and I can recommend it.
    The one outstanding thing about any of these is the price of the ammo for them. Can't be beat.
    All that said, I've become an AR fan, and recently completed two builds.
    First one is an 18" barrel 1-7 twist SPR in 5.56. Sweet shooter, balance and accuracy outstanding. Free floated barrel.
    Second one is a 16" barrel .300BLK. Also a sweet shooter with good balance. Magpul furniture on it. My new hog gun.
    Building another soon in 6.5Grendel for longer range hitting power. Likely will get used on hogs also, along with deer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    I think this boils down to what you want to spend. You can get very nice AK's like any Arsenal, but they are spendy. The Yugo PAP's that are in the country are a great deal and built like tanks. You can even order a WASR get a dependable AK for pretty cheap. If you just want something that shoots x39 for as cheap as possible, the SKS would probably be better.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    if you can get a yugo AK those are nice. an AK such as WASR gives you options for any type of config. the yugo Npap are nice but not a standard stock. if you can order via Atlantic firearms and ship to an ffl who will do your transfer.

WolfBrother

I am a Sheep Dog
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have a SKS type-D - uses standard AK-47 mags. Longer sight radius allows me to be a bit more accurate.

If I could get a regular, honest for real AK-47, then I'd want it. Along with several 75 round drums. You don't always need full auto but when you do ........

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I'd for sure suggest an AK. Whatever roll it would be used in trumps a basic SKS. Though if you want an SKS I'd get a Norinco Model D or Mode M. Both accept standard AK mags.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I don't have an AK, but I do have an SKS. Chinese, and I've removed the standard mag and now shoot 30rd SKS mags. I would love a nice AK, but I don't really need one.

andrew2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Michigan
    I think either one will suit you fine. With very little practice the SKS reloads surprisingly fast with stripper clips, maybe faster than rocking an empty mag out, and a new mag in to an AK. It really depends on which has more visual appeal, I think, as both are equally "accurate" and reliable. The best advice is, if you can afford it, get both.

Also, the Yugo AK is mentioned by a couple of folks. It is a great rifle, and I love mine, but if you enjoy the add on aftermarket parts, the Yugo is not a standard configuration AKM, and most AKM original, or aftermarket parts will not fit, such as stocks, pistol grips and such.

Just get one or the other, you will love it regardless of which you choose.

Top Bottom