I Thought I Had Seen Everything While Bow Hunting; Wow!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Last night I let an arrow fly on a big doe. She gave me a picture perfect broadside shot at 30 yards and I was aiming for the sweet spot and expecting her to jump the string. Everything went as planned except when the arrow got to her. I heard a loud pop (almost sounded like a CB cap going off), and watched the Nocturnal lit shaft fall out of her as she hauled ass! So I knew there was no pass through but figured I may have pierced her heart and she threw the arrow quickly. But in the back of my mind I was still unsure about the whole shot. Something didn't seem right about it. So, half an hour later I got down to check.

When I got there I was stunned at what I saw. The arrow shaft Carbon Express Maxima Red had snapped in two, the broad head (a 125 grain Hellrazor was still in the ferrule), was ejected from the shaft, and the two arrow shaft parts landed about 2 feet from each other. This is how it laid.
    BrokenArrow003_zps16175dde.jpg

Here below is the forward part of the arrow and the broad head. Look closely and you can see the broad head (the silver object), detached from the shaft. There was brown and white hair, but not a hint of blood on anything! Even the broad head.

BrokenArrow002_zpsac77fc30.jpg

This one below is the rear part of the shaft. Notice the hair stuck in the splinters.
    BrokenArrow004_zpsc38cb099.jpg

And here is all the parts on the seat of the bike.
    BrokenArrow007_zpsead7b603.jpg

Here is my theory: The arrow hit the one bone in the shoulder in such a spot (probably the only spot on deer's shoulder that could deflect an arrow), that it snapped the shaft (which was the pop I heard), and expelled the broad head. The only other explanation for the broad expulsion could have been her stepping on it.

But look at the hair on the rear section of shaft. The energy of that arrow from that 70 lb. pull allowed that section to continue on and actually stick in that deer's hide. This would explain why the rear section (with the lighted knock), fell out of her after she leaped away and was a few feet away from the front half.

It's the only explanation I can come up with.

I have never had that happen, never heard of that happening, and the bow hunters I know that I shared this with were stunned.

I guess it is why we love this so much.

BTW; the doe seemed fine. She kept running and didn't miss a beat. I imagine it felt like someone hit her with a ball peen hammer, but with no penetration; she will be there for me on another occasion.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    That's what I was gonna say; you hit the bony shoulder. I've done that before. Stuck a deer in what I thought was the sweet spot. Sounded like a baseball hit it and it ran away. I saw the deer a few days later back on the trail cam with a scar on its shoulder.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't think the broad head hit your doe head on, but after the arrow snapped. I think the arrow may have snapped coming off the bow and the broken shaft made the majority of the contact, possibly the broad head hit along with the rest of the arrow but on its side. I would make sure that arrow is correct for your bow setup. I also shoot carbon express and have never seen that happen. But I have seen arrows that aren't rated for the draw weight or arrows that have even the most minor nick along the shaft nearly explode after loosed from the bow. Be thanking your maker if what I believe is true. That could have been a bad deal right there.
    The other thought I have is that the a arrow had issues where the ferrule was inserted. Maybe a split or crack there that totally gave way as soon as the broad head hit home, causing the arrow to snap further up the shaft. That broken end with all the hair in it tells the tale. That part hit her hard.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Get all your arrows checked ASAP ! I've seen that happen one time and it was old arrows not rated for the bow. Not saying yours aren't rated for it but I would definetly have them checked. That deer was tough anyway, shoot a tender one next time !

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't think the broad head hit your doe head on, but after the arrow snapped. I think the arrow may have snapped coming off the bow and the broken shaft made the majority of the contact, possibly the broad head hit along with the rest of the arrow but on its side. I would make sure that arrow is correct for your bow setup. I also shoot carbon express and have never seen that happen. But I have seen arrows that aren't rated for the draw weight or arrows that have even the most minor nick along the shaft nearly explode after loosed from the bow. Be thanking your maker if what I believe is true. That could have been a bad deal right there.
    The other thought I have is that the a arrow had issues where the ferrule was inserted. Maybe a split or crack there that totally gave way as soon as the broad head hit home, causing the arrow to snap further up the shaft. That broken end with all the hair in it tells the tale. That part hit her hard.

But I heard the snap on impact. I guess it's possible that the broad head end of the shaft was already in the process of breaking away milliseconds before impact, but it was flying true. Those lighted nocks really let you follow the arrows path quite clearly.

In retrospect, I also have some doubts as to the reliability of the ferrule work. I had Bowies put those arrows together. They were very proud $$$ of them. If that were a compromised shaft or ferrule job, I can only hope it is the only one of the dozen I bought. Those Red Maxima's were not cheap! Because done right, a ferrule just shouldn't come out like that.

Now, guess what? I didn't closely examine the ferrule end of the arrow because I just accepted my theory and tossed it in the trash. Acadian Waste has it now.

Top Bottom