Fed. Court Rules Wearing Unearned Medals Is a Crime

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    Congress has since rewritten the law to prohibit lying about military honors for financial gain, while repealing the ban on wearing medals one hasn't earned. But the repeal didn't help Swisher, whose conviction under the former law was upheld Wednesday.

Looks like nothing has changed to me. He is getting popped because he received benefits from it. Not because he wore the medals.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Just because lying is protected speech, doesn't make it acceptable.

People that lie about their military service are worthless garbage.

JR1572

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Wait... Either you guys or I am reading this wrong...

It says "Congress has since rewritten the law to prohibit lying about military honors for financial gain, while repealing the ban on wearing medals one hasn't earned." -- which would mean that the wearing of the medals is NOT a crime. However it was for the guy being prosecuted because it was prior to this change and falls under the old law. SAYING you have the medals to gain financially (benefits, etc.) is illegal.

Which SUCKS! It should include the lying for financial gain and ALSO include medals ALONG WITH ALL military awards, devices and anything worn that would denote a qualification or certification (Ranger identifications, SEAL tridents, etc.) that was not earned. This should also include the Uniform or any part thereof.

Is this enforceable? Of course not... unless it's made punishable by LEO's and observed during the course of another crime. No one is going to walk around and say "Show me your DD-214 and let me make some calls while I verify it". I'm sure they removed the wearing of unearned items being a crime because of this reason... however lying about them to gain financially is fraud (technically so is wearing them).

Top Bottom