Garand Questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheKeg81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have recently acquired a M1D Garand (Springfield) and I'm looking to get the accessories to go with it. The receiver serial makes it a May 1942 production and my best guess for conversion is around the Korean War period. That being said I guess I'd like to make it representative of the the KW period if I am correct with my previous assumption.

• En bloc clip - Either the SA (matches with date of receiver production) or SA (more in time frame of conversion of gun)
    • Sling - I really like the look of the leather, 1907, slings, but they wouldn't be as correct as a canvas web sling would be for the Korean War period.
    • Bayonet - According to one article I read, the M1 with M7 fiberglass scabbard or M1905E1 with M7 fiberglass scabbard would be most appropriate for an M1 Garand issued during the KW. Would it have been any different for the M1D variant?

Also, what was generally put into the butt stock of these guns, just the cleaning kit? Let me know if I can provide any more details about the gun to aid in selecting the correct items.

Thanks.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    With very few exceptions, any WWII item would be proper for the Korean War. So unless it's an F-86, you're OK.

I have read several accounts that stated the snipers preferred the leather M1907 sling to the web sling, the leather can be used as a shooting sling but the web can’t (other than a hasty sling). I have an M1907 on my M1D for this reason.

It’s likely that no M5 bayonets got over to Korea before the cease fire, so a shortened M1905 or M1 bayonet would be appropriate. I would go with the M7 or M7 (Converted) scabbard. While the M8 would be correct, the M7’s were far more plentiful.

The clips were not “matched” to the rifles. Any U.S. manufacturer would be correct. Here’s a list that I just found on-line (can’t guarantee its accuracy):

AEC 3 - Aggressive Engineering Corp (Commercial) Anaheim, CA
    AGE 1 - Aggressive Engineering Corp (Millitary contract) Anaheim, CA (Post War)
    AGE 2 - Aggressive Engineering Corp (Millitary contract) Anaheim, CA (Post War)
    AMP 1 - All Metal Products Wyandotte, MI (WW2)
    BLM - Barry L Miller Eng Inc Irvine, CA (WW2)
    B-W (with or without additional number 1-7) - Borg Warner (WW2) Spring Division,Bellwood, IL
    BR-W - Borg Warner Spring Division,Bellwood, IL (Post War) (**Markings also have a single digit 1 through 7 which denoted what press number clips were made on)
    C (C* also)- Lerio Patent Cup Co. Mobile, AL (WW2)
    fB fC fD fE fF - Fedders Mfg Buffalo, NY (WW2)
    IS - International Silver Meriden, CT (WW2)(**Markings also have a single digit 1 through 3 which denoted what press number clips were made on)
    NW - Northwest Metal Seattle, WA (WW2)
    S - Stanley Works (or SW) New Britain, CT (WW2)
    Blank - Springfield Armory Springfield, MA (Thought to be early SA)
    SA (Large Letters) - Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA (WW2)
    SA (Small Letters) - Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA. Use started 1943 through 50's. Variations include; SA, SA dash over, SA dash over and under, SA dash under.
    W3 W4 W5 W6 - R Wallace & Sons Wallingford, CT (WW2)
    WEP WEP1 WEP2 WEP3 WEP4 WEP5- Wade Electric Products Sturgis, MI (WW2)
    WRA - Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven, CT (WW2)
    O - WRA Educational - Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven, CT (notches are cutout not stamped in) (WW2)
    WRA - WRA Eductional - Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven, CT (notches are cutout not stamped in) (WW2)
    Danly (stamped on side of clip) - Danly Machine Co (Chicago, Il)

NON US Clips:
    TF&S - Thomas French & Co (Manchester, England)
    MAS - Manfacture D"Armes St Etienne (St.Etienne, France)
    S.F. - Serini France
    MFT - Metaalwaren Fabrik Tiburg (Tiburg Netherlands)
    DAQ - Dominion Arsenal Quebec Quebec
    HA - Haerens Ammunitions Arsenal Copenhagen, Denmark
    5mm hole. - Austrian
    JMO (with 2 Digit Date) - Julius Maurer Oberstein, Germany
    L&H (with 2 Digit Date) - Italian
    IMI - Israel Military Industries Ramat Hasharon, Israel
    MBZ - Murik & Ball Zeist Netherlands
    58 - Nationalist China

TheKeg81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    dougstump - Thanks for the info on the clips. It was just an assumption that I made: SA gun coming with SA en-blocs of the gun manufacturer. Also, I'm glad to hear that about the leather sling. Unless I come across an original sling and cheek pad at a great price both will be reproductions.

frankinnola - Yeah I saw those and plan on getting one to put into the stock. Really, I was just curious if anything else was kept in there by the soldiers.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Yes, they would fill up the void at the front (end with the trap door) with a few patches to keep the contents from rattling.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom