First aid kit for home/car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Just wanted to see what everyone is using for first aid kits. Pulled mine out the car the other day and most stuff had expired. It was just an adventure medical kits ultralight ($20), but I need to replace it and would like to pick up a bigger kit for the house.

Luckily, I never had to use it, but this week I used the non expired stuff dealing with a dog that had stitches.

Anyways, what are yall using?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Just wanted to see what everyone is using for first aid kits. Pulled mine out the car the other day and most stuff had expired. It was just an adventure medical kits ultralight ($20), but I need to replace it and would like to pick up a bigger kit for the house.

Luckily, I never had to use it, but this week I used the non expired stuff dealing with a dog that had stitches.

Anyways, what are yall using?

gauze pads, instant cold packs, tweezers (stingers/splinters/etc), gauze rolls, non-latex gloves (my wife is allergic), ace bandages, adhesive tape, peroxide solution, turkey baster to rinse wounds, oral syringe/spoon, otc meds: neosporin, advil, benadryl, and some other stuff. Also have an epi pen, safety pins, telfa pads, and medic scissors. I keep it in a cheap-o toolbox from wally world, selected because the top has 3 portions that open without having to dig into the kit - for frequent use things like advil or (quoting olivs) small boo-boo stuff.

Quick clot and stuff is all fun to pack, but 99% of the time its a scraped knee, a splinter, or small cut that I find myself dealing with. Toddlers have a way of teaching you how to use a fak pretty quick. Its the university of "Hey Dad- watch this"

Total cost I dont know but its cheap.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Just noticed that the GAK is out of stock. Another good one that I would recommend that would cover all the bases, is the VOK from Tactical Response. Pretty sure you can find that one on Amazon.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    71df8d789c04c8211a2372cda460160c.jpg

This one stays in my truck unless I take it in a trip in my wife's vehicle or on my boat.
    It's made by Adventure Medical Kits this seems to be their similar current offering.
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/sportsman/bighorn-1.html
    I have added more gauze, tape, butterflies, quick clot, burn gel a tourniquet and probably a few other items.
    It has served me very well.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Thanks for the suggestions, good to see some of the other companies. I havent been able to get online much since posting so Ill have to look at all the options later.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the only thing I'd offer with my very limited experience on this subject is that off the shelf kits usually suck. Make sure to supplement or increase contents to your families' needs.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just noticed that the GAK is out of stock. Another good one that I would recommend that would cover all the bases, is the VOK from Tactical Response. Pretty sure you can find that one on Amazon.

Interstate Guns has a few in stock! Get them while you can! There is a reason they don't last long!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    thanks for the tac med info. some of those tac meds kits have potential for use in hunting packs.

If you call them they will custom build what you want. Every kit I buy from them they take out and add whatever I ask them to. They have been great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I recently used an old back-pack to build a "First-aid/trauma/stuck somewhere with family we'd rather not be PACK"
    It goes with us anytime we road trip or if I go shooting.
    It is what some would call a BOB but that wasn't my intention. I envisioned using it to GET BACK HOME or survive a night broke down in BFE.
    I wanted something for regular 1st aid in addition to traumatic wound care such as gun shot or car crash, etc.
    It also has some defensive "tools" just in case SHTF away from home.
    It is a little cumbersome compared to JUST a FAK but it can serve tons more purposes and it is always ready to go.
    Leaving home without it just doesn't make sense anymore...

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    How can I get an epi pen? Is this by prescription only? I'm allergic to a couple of things and always wondered about this.

gauze pads, instant cold packs, tweezers (stingers/splinters/etc), gauze rolls, non-latex gloves (my wife is allergic), ace bandages, adhesive tape, peroxide solution, turkey baster to rinse wounds, oral syringe/spoon, otc meds: neosporin, advil, benadryl, and some other stuff. Also have an epi pen, safety pins, telfa pads, and medic scissors. I keep it in a cheap-o toolbox from wally world, selected because the top has 3 portions that open without having to dig into the kit - for frequent use things like advil or (quoting olivs) small boo-boo stuff.

Quick clot and stuff is all fun to pack, but 99% of the time its a scraped knee, a splinter, or small cut that I find myself dealing with. Toddlers have a way of teaching you how to use a fak pretty quick. Its the university of "Hey Dad- watch this"

Total cost I dont know but its cheap.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How can I get an epi pen? Is this by prescription only? I'm allergic to a couple of things and always wondered about this.

Talk to your doctor he should write you a prescription for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom