Easiest automatic for older shooter.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I want to upgrade the Gen 3 Colt DS I gave my father. It works fine for his hands but not his eyes.

He has given thought to CCW (Not certain this will happen) so I was thinking of a small to intermediate size platform that works well at home/in the car, but wouldn't be unwieldy if he does decide to carry. My initial thought was/is a Smith K or L frame in the 2-4" range (maybe a similar Ruger) because it is relatively easy to carry, easy on his hands and can easily be equipped with CT laser grips. He is not handy loading speed strips. Absent a better choice from you guys, I am probably sticking with this.

Requirements for Auto:

1. Affordable.
    2. Hosts CT Laser Grips (or has accessory rail)
    3. MUST BE EASY TO MANIPULATE SLIDE
    4. Relatively easy to load magazines
    5. 9mm minimum
    6. NOT a Taurus (under any circumstances)

#3 is why I have ruled autos out thus far. He has trouble charging my 1911s (stiffer spring than GI spec) and this would be even worse for malfunction clearance. My thoughts would be a service size 9mm of some sort for the lightest standard spring. Any thoughts or back to the wheel guns?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A Gen 3 Glock 26 with a 14# Wolff recoil spring assembly meets all of the above requirements plus the most important one which is reliability.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    S&W 3rd gen all the way
    Old guy will probably like it better than plastic, some of us young ones do too

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Apparently that's the answer you get regardless of the question.

Similar to buying a handgun form a woman or anyone with special needs.
    I'm not gonna try to make a recommendation other than let him try a few on for size and see how he feels about them.
    The Uplula magazine loaders are simple and work well.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Apparently that's the answer you get regardless of the question.

Similar to buying a handgun form a woman or anyone with special needs.
    I'm not gonna try to make a recommendation other than let him try a few on for size and see how he feels about them.
    The Uplula magazine loaders are simple and work well.

Best invention since 1911. :cool:

Fully loading Glock magazines without one would devastate my fingers.

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    There is a gunshow in Mandevillle this weekend, bring the olld boy and play "cinderellas slipper" with a wide variety and find what fits.

It is useless to guess, he has to find a gun that he can manipulate. His level of comfort/ability can not be guessed.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    How old is your father? It seems that he would have problems manipulating the slide due to technique, not a 15-20 pound spring.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've recommended the mako slide handle for those with special needs. Alternatively, it is possible to manipulate the slide and even field strip glocks with 1 hand with proper technique.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    +1 Glock 19 or the Ruger LC9s (or maybe even a 1911).

For the Glock, I would recommend XS Big Dot sights or Truglo TFO Sights for him. He should be able to utilize the loader that Glock includes with the weapon. Some will tell you it's junk because its simple, but it works and it's very easy to use (Even though the magazines are easy to load without it). I would also recommend the extended slide lock lever and extended slide stop lever. You may even consider the extended magazine release. Leave the factory guide rod and spring... however, you may want to get a lighter trigger bar. Compact, high-er capacity, fun to shoot! Probably my (and a lot of others) favorite firearm. Note: Glocks have a trigger safety only!

For the Ruger LC9s, I would recommend the same XS Big Dot sights or Truglo TFO Sights. The LC9s doesn't come with a loader, but it is a single stack 9mm and is easy to load. I would, however, recommend the 9 round extended magazines just to let him shoot a few more rounds without the need for reloading. The factory guide rod and spring should be fine for him and the trigger is already amazing. Small, light weight, easy to conceal (if he is going that route). Simple trigger safety and manual slide safety as well.

Other than that, if he's just a recreational shooter, or may keep it on the shelf for a while just to clean it here and there, look at some of the smaller 1911's. They're good "traditional" pieces and the craftsmanship is amazing on most. Tolerances are high, so it may be slightly difficult to manipulate at first, however, that wears quickly. Also another magazine that loads easily and is a single stack. I know I enjoy tearing down and cleaning some of my older all-metal weapons just for the sake to doing it.

If you can, you may want to even search out a used firearm that has already been through the mill. Much easier to use and already past the difficult stages.

Personally, I would go with the Glock... just my opinion. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

1. For the Glock, I would recommend XS Big Dot sights or Truglo TFO Sights for him.
    2. I would also recommend the extended slide lock lever and extended slide stop lever.
    3. You may even consider the extended magazine release.
    4. Leave the factory guide rod and spring... however, you may want to get a lighter trigger bar.
    5. Note: Glocks have a trigger safety only!

Everyone has opinions.
    1. There are many better sights available.
    2. The XL slide stop is good for some and bad for others.
    3. The XL magazine release is good for some and bad for others.
    4. Changing to a lighter recoil spring is very helpful and totally reliable. There is no such thing as a Glock lighter trigger bar only aftermarket modified trigger bars..
    5. Totally False. Glocks do not have an external safety like a 1911 but they all have 3 safeties.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Everyone has opinions.
    1. There are many better sights available.
    2. The XL slide stop is good for some and bad for others.
    3. The XL magazine release is good for some and bad for others.
    4. Changing to a lighter recoil spring is very helpful and totally reliable. There is no such thing as a lighter trigger bar in a Glock.
    5. Totally False. Glocks do not have an external safety like a 1911 but they all have 3 safeties.

Look, these were suggestions for what was asked IN MY OPINION. You're entitled to yours, HOWEVER, at least contribute to the original post subject instead of promoting your "I love Glocks" agenda (If you'd read, I recommended the Glock overall).

So, with that...

1. There are many better sights available. - I am aware of this... these were my suggestions FOR AN OLDER SHOOTER
    2. The XL slide stop is good for some and bad for others. - I am aware of this... these were my suggestions FOR AN OLDER SHOOTER
    3. The XL magazine release is good for some and bad for others. - I am aware of this... these were my suggestions FOR AN OLDER SHOOTER
    4. Changing to a lighter recoil spring is very helpful and totally reliable. There is no such thing as a lighter trigger bar in a Glock. - Sorry for my incorrect nomenclature... CONNECTOR. However, the factory Glock guide rod/spring is perfect FOR AN OLDER SHOOTER.
    5. Totally False. Glocks do not have an external safety like a 1911 but they all have 3 safeties. - I am aware of this... I am focusing on the safety that someone who may not be carrying daily would be concerned with... there is no MANUAL safety, so maybe I should have said that instead.

Thanks for your amazing knowledge of the platform (that everyone who owns one would have)! Oh, and good job sticking to the topic. Have a great weekend!

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    How old is your father? It seems that he would have problems manipulating the slide due to technique, not a 15-20 pound spring.

Septuagenarian who worked with his hands all his life. Your point is valid and the jury is still out on that one.

For the Glock, I would recommend XS Big Dot sights or Truglo TFO Sights for him. He should be able to utilize the loader that Glock includes with the weapon. Some will tell you it's junk because its simple, but it works and it's very easy to use (Even though the magazines are easy to load without it). I would also recommend the extended slide lock lever and extended slide stop lever. You may even consider the extended magazine release. Leave the factory guide rod and spring... however, you may want to get a lighter trigger bar. Compact, high-er capacity, fun to shoot! Probably my (and a lot of others) favorite firearm. Note: Glocks have a trigger safety only!...

...Other than that, if he's just a recreational shooter, or may keep it on the shelf for a while just to clean it here and there, look at some of the smaller 1911's. Th...ey're good "traditional" pieces and the craftsmanship is amazing on most. Tolerances are high, so it may be slightly difficult to manipulate at first, however, that wears quickly. Also another magazine that loads easily and is a single stack. I know I enjoy tearing down and cleaning some of my older all-metal weapons just for the sake to doing it.

If you can, you may want to even search out a used firearm that has already been through the mill. Much easier to use and already past the difficult stages.

Personally, I would go with the Glock... just my opinion. Hope it helps!

Will consider your Glock suggestions if I go that route - much appreciated there.

The smaller 1911 suggestion would go against my thoughts though. the smaller the 1911, the stiffer the spring and he already had problems manipulating the slide on my 4" and my Delta IIRC (21-24# range).

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Septuagenarian who worked with his hands all his life. Your point is valid and the jury is still out on that one.

It is entirely possible that at that age and with that much mileage on his hands he wouldn't be able to work a slide, but I'd make sure it isn't a technique issue first as it would open up your opinions a lot if it is. I'm going to parrot what other people are saying by suggesting a glock 19. Double stack mags are easier to reload as the hole is wider and the mag is more angled, the smaller number of simple controls are easier to learn on, the lighter weight of a polymer pistol should be less tiring for his arms at the range, and 15 rounds in the mag should really limit the chances of him needing to reload under stress. Good luck on your search.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I really have to say that not knowing the shooters ability ( range of motion, grip strength, flexibility, level of or lack of pain and discomfort ect...) it is futile to even guess what to recommend. Price does not even enter into the equation since he has to be able to use the gun. My mother lacked the hand strength to rack the slide on a Baretta .25. If he can grasp a wider grip that would indicate a double stack frame may work for him, a wider slide or a narrow slide may be comfortable for him to grip.
    What is his tolerance for recoil? He has to be able to hold it after he fires it. A full size gun in .380 (9mm kurtz) may be comfortable or maybe he could not even handle the recoil of a .22; there are a lot of factors to consider.
    Quite likely a revolver in 38 would be best/simplest using old school speed loaders; again it is up to his comfort and abilities.
    Revolvers are not as ammo sensitive and would allow the shooter to use milder loads as required.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    What is his tolerance for recoil? He has to be able to hold it after he fires it. A full size gun in .380 (9mm kurtz) may be comfortable or maybe he could not even handle the recoil of a .22; there are a lot of factors to consider.
    Quite likely a revolver in 38 would be best/simplest using old school speed loaders; again it is up to his comfort and abilities.
    Revolvers are not as ammo sensitive and would allow the shooter to use milder loads as required.

Last time we shot together (2-3 years ago) he handled 10mm from a Delta fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom