Easiest automatic for older shooter.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    If not a g 17/19...........
    What about a PX4 or an M&P with or with out thumb safety. Both have large slides that offer a lot of surface area that we find many can manipulate them easily.

NaughtyMooose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    United States
    A long time ago, in a state far, far away I worked at Cabelas in the gun department. We were asked this question a lot. After trying every semi auto under the glass and showing them to a lot of potential customers...I learned the easiest semi auto for elderly and small frame women to work the slide on was a Glock 9mm.

YMMV

Lahem33

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    United States
    CHW2021, Can you tell me what your mother shoots? I have a 75 year old very frail mother in law who could not pull the 10lb trigger on a Taurus pt22 and the glock 19 was too big for her hand.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Just to add... I would let him rack the slide on a few autos and see if that's an option.

My GF lacks the grip strength to rack my Glock 19. This gun has >10k on the recoil spring and is the easiest auto to rack in my opinion. But she has no problem racking a brand new M&P.40!

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    2 students at my last CCW class used full size Ruger 9mm's to qualify with. Not great for concealment but I was surprised as to how easy they were to manipulate. Just a thought.
    Like mentioned above, take him to Jim's, Laf Shooters, etc and spend some time "playing" with each model to see what works best for him. Good luck.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If racking the slide is an issue the slide is far easier to rack on a Walther .380 than any pistol mentioned in this thread. Super easy and super smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom