Break in Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I just got a new Savage 10p and cant wait to try it out. It is going to take 50rnds to break it in and im trying to decide if that ZQ1 ammo will work well for break in. Anyone have any input?

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    I have read in a few forums that it works fine in military chambers but a little snug in some bolt guns but it goes into battery. No one has any real bad reviews.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I do not know about rifle rounds but some have reported issues with the 9mm rounds in pistols.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Step 1: Load ammo
    Step 2: Shoot ammo
    Step 3: Maybe take the advice of the guy in the video, not always necessary with cow and bull barrels though.
    Step 4: Repeat steps 1 and 2.

I'm not really sure why this "barrel break in" myth exists but if there were any logic to it, I wouldn't understand why you would want to do it with cheap ammo. If anything, wouldn't you want to use quality ammo? That would be like saying cheap wal mart gas is the best to break in a corvette. It doesn't matter, just start shooting it!

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Never owned of Rifle that was capable of sub MOA and figured affordable ammo that advertises good grouping would be fine. However if that barrel break in is a myth thats great then. Save me either $20 on ZQ1 or $80 of the good stuff.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Don't see why it would not work, but I usually break one in with handloads of the projectile I plan on shooting. I would recommend that you clean the barrel before you shoot it if you haven't already.
    As for breaking one in, my recipe is to shoot one round and clean for the first 5 rounds. I usually notice heavy copper fouling for the first 3-5 rounds. Then clean after a couple of more 5 shot groups while starting to find a load that the rifle likes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom