How are you preparing your turkey?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I'm just curious how everyone else out there is preparing/cooking their birds this year. I'm letting the mother in law cook the bird tomorrow, even though I know I'll be coaching her from the couch. What's your techniques for brining, frying, smoking, injecting, etc?

Bonus points for your libation of the day.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I roasted a turkey a couple of weeks ago to make room in the freezer for the new turkey that my wife received from work.

For the brine, I used 1/2 gallon of water, 1.5 cups of salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, four bay leaves, 1 tablespoon of dried thyme, and a tablespoon of whole black pepper corns. I brought this mixture to a boil then simmered it for 5 minutes. After it was done simmering, I removed the bay leaves, added another 1/2 gallon of water, and let it chill. After it was chilled, I put the turkey in and let it soak over night.

The next day, I roasted it in a brown and serve bag according to the chart for the weight of the turkey, and it was one of the best roasted turkeys I ever had.

This past weekend, I made a brine for a whole chicken dubbing it my "autumn chicken". I used 1/2 gallon of apple cider, 1 cup of salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, two cinnamon sticks, the zest of one orange, and a cup of whole cranberries. I let that mixture come to a boil, simmered for 5 minutes, added another 1/2 gallon of apple cider, let chill, then put the chicken in. After soaking it overnight, I roasted it in a brown and serve bag. That was the juiciest and most flavorful whole chicken I had in a long time.

I want to try a variation of the first brine using Rosemary, thyme, lemon and some other herbs/spices to see if I can get the flavor closer to that of a greek chicken.

Regardless, I'll probably never roast a whole bird without using a brine. The flavor is awesome and it is better than buying processed lunch meat for sandwiches. While I don't know how much of the salt the chicken retains after cooking, it still appears to have WAY less sodium than the processed lunch meat.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    We're playing it low-key this year and just spending the day decorating (family's all out of town). I got a cajun smoked turkey and I'll warm some of it up for the family the eat, but then I'm making some bad-ass gumbo though :thumbsup:

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Injecting tonight with cajun butter and smoking in the morning for 7 hours with hickory wood.

Makers Mark and New Belgium Accumulation White IPA in the evening.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    My grandmaw is baking the bird tomorrow. Can't have fried due to one of the family members being allergic to peanuts and the only way to fry a turkey is in peanut oil.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My grandmaw is baking the bird tomorrow. Can't have fried due to one of the family members being allergic to peanuts and the only way to fry a turkey is in peanut oil.

Give the Charbroil Oil Less Fryer it's a good option!

Last year I smoked one for 8 hours with pecan and apple wood.
    I brined it overnight in a raw sugar, sea salt, peppercorn, bay leaf and whole garlic blend.
    While smoking it I basted it with a TarGil BBQ oil.

Aside from cooking one corn dish Im just showing up.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I have used the charbroil oil less fryer for several years. I have done both turkeys and prime ribs in it. The wife brines and then Cajun injects them and they come out just delicious.

Top Bottom