Scale recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks for the reply Ms. RSC,
    The correct answer should be both, right? Lose weight is more the goal. Muscle would be a secondary benefit.
    Not really concerned about how I look, more about functioning.

I am 50 and got away from structured fitness over the year. I am now getting back to it and want to monitor my weight. In the past I had to watch my weight as a sign of overtraining and dehydration. I raced bicycle and M/C in the past. I am slated to race karts in 2015. Besides the physical demands I need to make minimum weight coming off track on race days. I like to have a 5 pound over buffer. Anything over about 5 pounds over is not helping the cause.

Specific to the sport. Two main weak points are neck fatigue and hand fatigue. Both are fairly common in the sport and I have experienced both.

In general I am concerned with flexibility/mobility, cardio/endurance, strength. If I never race again fitness will be continued.

A lot of what I did in the past was not necessarily the best approach even at the time. Now I am trying to be way smarter in my approach. Things like stretching and balance or high on my list.

I am open to any advice you have.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Well if you want to strictly lose weight, a scale will help. Weight loss is 80/20 diet/fitness in my opinion. If you wanted to build muscle, you're going to gain weight so a scale would not necessarily be the best tool. Taking measurements to watch inches is probably your best route if strictly building muscle.

Otherwise, I'd suggest working on losing weight first and then build muscle.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I have a digital Taylor scale from Walmart. Works good enough for every day weighing of my fat azz. Accurate enough, compared to doctors scale.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Go to Walmart. Pick a cheap one. Get on. Remember weight. Get off. After it turns off, get back on. Make sure it reads same. Get back off. Repeat. If it reads same weight every time, it'll work. You're worried more about repeatability. Different ones won't read the same.

Weigh yourself first thing when you get up. Your the lightest but most consistent water weight each day.

Don't look for day to day changes. Look for long term changes. You can fluctuate several pounds over the course of a day (5 for me) or each day.

Don't put a lot of stock in the scale. Especially if you are doing any weight training. Take pictures weekly. Use same camera, same place, same lighting etc. and compare over time. Mirror and clothes fit is a better indication that scale ever could be.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Go to Walmart. Pick a cheap one. Get on. Remember weight. Get off. After it turns off, get back on. Make sure it reads same. Get back off. Repeat. If it reads same weight every time, it'll work. You're worried more about repeatability. Different ones won't read the same.

Weigh yourself first thing when you get up. Your the lightest but most consistent water weight each day.

Don't look for day to day changes. Look for long term changes. You can fluctuate several pounds over the course of a day (5 for me) or each day.

Don't put a lot of stock in the scale. Especially if you are doing any weight training. Take pictures weekly. Use same camera, same place, same lighting etc. and compare over time. Mirror and clothes fit is a better indication that scale ever could be.

I second SVTF. Use the same scale every day.

Your weight changes from hour to hour during the day, so it's important to do it at the same time. Right after getting up and relieving yourself is an excellent time.

You can get a reasonably priced scale that weighs to the tenth of a pound.

Good luck!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks for the responses.

Right after getting up and relieving yourself is an excellent time.
    Good luck!

I always heard first thing = more accurate. That is what I did in the 80's. I tried to follow some of what came out of the OTC and butchered some of the info. But I do remember weighing myself first thing in the morning. In the height of the summer I would run about 4 pounds low for about 2-3 weeks if I didn't watch what I did more carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom