Warning to AR shooters from sandbags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As much shooting as I've done with as large of caliber rifles I've shot, I've never once touched my face to a scope during a recoil event...until today.

I typically shoot from a single sandbag or a backpack for fun, but recently I've been working on handloads for my bolt guns. Well I am on .308 now and I decided to let my DPMS .308 tag along this time to see if by chance it would like the same load as either my tikka t3 or my SigSauer SSG3000. For this work I bring a screw-type front section and use and angled bag tucked under the rear stock for support. The way I shoot typically uses the rear bag in left hand with left elbow on the table and i usually push it up under the stock pretty securely. This usually allows me to pull the rifle to my body just at my shoulder and It really supports the rifle well for me.

So it comes to the end of the session and I grab the DPMS. Put it up and take a few shots...shot number 4 goes off and BLAM! SCOPE TO THE BRIDGE OF THE NOSE. I'm like what in the hell? And then after the eyes quit watering I look at the rifle. I then realize the stock is full collapsed! Oh man the DPMS (and most other factory collapsible stocks) adjustment lever is the lowest part of the rear stock. I guess when I pulled down that rear angled bag to the stock it released the stock lever and when I squeezed the trigger the rifle recoiled into my face. I DEFINITELY appreciate the Magpul CTR style stock in having the adjust lever inside of the stock assembly now! I'm just glad it happened to ME before my wife and kids as my wife and son both have shot this rifle!

I just wanted to add this tidbit for anyone out there that may be still using factory stuff!

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I always wondered what the point of the locking mechanism on some of the magpul stocks was. (Atleast for civilian use) I guess I know now.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I'm definitely a big fan of Magpul, a lot of their stuff really takes random little oddball things like this into account with their designs. They seem think of pretty much everything, on top of having the best polymers around that I know of.

Top Bottom